Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

First few day with my A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pat clark
While I have no doubt that adding an amp and subwoofer adds quite a bit to the Bose, you may want to make sure on your MMI software first. I have a 2012 prestige and the updated software made the Bose sound like a totally different system. Not as good as the B&O in my wife's Q5, but a night and day difference. You can research the threads to see what we're talking about. It's worth a first step and good luck.
Funny Honda had a similar issue with the 13 Accord, they released a new firmware in April and people said it made a big difference, of course it is a far less capable system. Just goes to,show how much software is at the heart of everything in cars today.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pat clark
While I have no doubt that adding an amp and subwoofer adds quite a bit to the Bose, you may want to make sure on your MMI software first. I have a 2012 prestige and the updated software made the Bose sound like a totally different system. Not as good as the B&O in my wife's Q5, but a night and day difference. You can research the threads to see what we're talking about. It's worth a first step and good luck.
I have a 2013 so maybe that would already be applied. I tried searching all the Bose threads and I didn't find anything about upgrading. However I suspect the search doesn't work perfectly.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I took the car for the first longer drive, couple of observations:

1: Whoever suggested you needed 3G for Streetview they were right.

2: The Mydestinations thing would be cooler if you could upload trips where you had laid out a route, destinations is not that cool.

3: This thing handles a little different to my A4... I found that out quickly in traffic when I tried to change lanes, brake and sweep into a parking lot, that was not going to happen... This car is bigger and heavier... I love it, but I guess I can't throw it around like the A4

4: I love the 3.0 engine (my A4 was a 2.0), but its almost too fast and too smooth! Its painful to keep it in the ballpark of the speed limit and I found myself topping 80 everytime I went to pass someone n a 55 road...
Old 07-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

to get the system to dial the number faster without having to confirm, just punch the big MMI **** down once you know you've got the right number up on the display. It will short cut the voice and just dial.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also on my first ten days with a 2013 A6 2.0T Premium, and I share in the OPs findings. In someways, coming from a 2011 A4, there are things that Audi has done far better in the A4, and the A6 really leans towards a kind of gee-whiz technology showcase, with a lot of luxury and isolation tossed in.

I'm still getting used to the automatic (my A4 was stick), and it seems a bit anxious. Fast shifting, but anxious. The good news is that, when in Sport mode, it keeps the 2.0T on a boil, and the car is adequately quick. I like the $7,300+tax I have left over off a 3.0T, which was really really nice, but I was advised 'you don't need to go any faster' -- which is true.

The Bose stereo is nice, but I find the iPod integration kind of clunky, which I would suspect has little or nothing to do with Bose or not. I like the surround nature of it, and it's nicely capable of imaging for a car. For $1,000.00, it was probably worth it given that my primary music listening is in the car.

Cooled seats -- they're great -- they're not going to make it feel like you're sitting on an ice cube, but it takes some of the sweat off, and makes a difference in that you don't need to crank the AC up to cool down.

Love the interior night ambiance lighting -- it's gee-whiz, and not much more, but it's a nice luxury touch.

The above is the good news.

The bad news - it's a big car, which is what I wanted, and so in a big car, it handles with the commensurate avoirdupois with all of the issues that weight and inertia places on a car. Comfy ride, but not as sharp a 4/5 passenger car as the A4 was. Interesting, the A4 wasn't much lighter at all, but it seemed to handle better, and the reduction in size made it seem more sport sedan like. But, that's not what this car is about.

I hate the MMI Telephone interface -- there's no way to hang up the phone easily unless you're in 'phone' mode in the MMI.

Voice command is a bit of a joke -- I have what is called the North American neutral accent, and it has a hard time understanding anything I say, so I pity those with accents.

The A6 is a car I've wanted for years, and it's my first full 'luxury' sedan. And it fulfils the luxury mission very well.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by m4240z
The bad news - it's a big car, which is what I wanted, and so in a big car, it handles with the commensurate avoirdupois with all of the issues that weight and inertia places on a car. Comfy ride, but not as sharp a 4/5 passenger car as the A4 was. Interesting, the A4 wasn't much lighter at all, but it seemed to handle better, and the reduction in size made it seem more sport sedan like. But, that's not what this car is about.
Not sure if you have the sport package but I would say that, surprisingly, my A6 w/ 19" sport suspension handles about 95% as well as my non-sport pkg '09 A4. If I had ordered the sport package on the A4, I would agree Sport to Sport, the A4 would be more agile. In any case, as you pointed out, the two cars are purposed for different customer profiles.

I hate the MMI Telephone interface -- there's no way to hang up the phone easily unless you're in 'phone' mode in the MMI.
Agreed there should be a one-button hang up from any screen but pressing "phone" then "end call" is not that oppressive IMO.

Voice command is a bit of a joke -- I have what is called the North American neutral accent, and it has a hard time understanding anything I say, so I pity those with accents.
Have you gone through the voice command training? While voice recognition in a moving car is not perfect, I find the Audi to be reasonably good most of the time. Speaking articulately in a normal volume with the windows closed helps.

For me, if my '09 A4 3.0 Prestige was an 8, my A6 3.0T Prestige Sport is a 9+. Overall, I love this car despite its few niggling shortcomings.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

but I was advised 'you don't need to go any faster'
There is always a need to go faster

Just kidding - I understand some folks do not have a lead foot. Myself, I love the car (with the 3.0 engine) for the acceleration. Main reason I purchased it. Only downside is how often I have set the speed alert in the car off (I have it set for 90 ). The car accelerates effortlessly, and handles so well, you really lose track of how fast you are moving.

In my old vehicle, which was quite high performance at the time, you could tell from the engine working when you started getting up there. With the A6 3.0, it just seems the power is so effortless
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Maverick61
There is always a need to go faster

Just kidding - I understand some folks do not have a lead foot. Myself, I love the car (with the 3.0 engine) for the acceleration. Main reason I purchased it. Only downside is how often I have set the speed alert in the car off (I have it set for 90 ). The car accelerates effortlessly, and handles so well, you really lose track of how fast you are moving.

In my old vehicle, which was quite high performance at the time, you could tell from the engine working when you started getting up there. With the A6 3.0, it just seems the power is so effortless
Unfortunately, I have a lead foot, which in Ontario where I do the vast majority of my driving, puts my license in constant peril. My other car is a Boxster (not the fastest Porsche, but plenty quick), so a 3.0T was going to be neck and neck (actually, the 3.0T would probably spank the Boxster).

I'm with you on 'you really lose track of how fast you are moving'. I was coming back from the cottage this weekend, fully loaded car, and was doing 160km/h and the car was rock steady and quiet, and still had lots more push. 60km/h over the 100km/h limit, in Ontario, can get your car impounded, a dangerous driving conviction, and a roadside license suspension....

I was looking at the 3.0T, briefly, and I could hear all the women in my life saying -- you don't need to go any faster....

And on another note, the relatively floatiness of the non-sport suspension, also causes me to keep a little less of the boil on. However, evidently, not enough as, like I said, 160km/h (which is just under 100mph was pretty darn comfortable.