Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Front Grille / License Plate Holder

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Grille / License Plate Holder

Hello All,
Ordered my A6 last month and I'm seeing more of them on the road every day. I'm a little confused about the front grille.

I see some cars with no license plate and just the grille (looks great).
I see other cars with a shiny black horizontal piece that spans form left to right about 6" or 7" wide across the grille. Some of these have front license plates and some don't.

My question...Is the horizontal piece the license plate holder? If not, what is it?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My question...Is the horizontal piece the license plate holder? If not, what is it?
Sometimes it holds a plate, sometimes not. There are two boxes to check for that piece. One has a place for the license plate if your state requires it. The other one has two horizontal chrome strips.

At this point, if I order a car, I'll ask for the blank filler panel. I would like to see if I could install a hide-a-plate. I can always buy a regular plate holding filler if need be.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is it possible to mount a California license plate without this strip? I really don't want it.

What are the options called where you check the boxes for this strip?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My California car had a license plate sized plastic piece close to the middle of the grill upon delivery and upon removing it was glad to find a complete grill that didn't need any filler plaque like older Audis .

I really don't know what the previous posters are talking about.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have been wondering about this as well. I don't have my car yet, but I believe the C7 A6 does not have a front "filler" with the chrome strips option available. That is for the older/other models.

If you take off the shiny black front plate holder, you are left with 4 small holes. Or if you order your car with code 6W9 "front grille filler panel" your car will just come without the shiny black plate holder and no holes in your grille.

Can anyone that has a car with option 6W9 post pics and/or confirm what their grille looks like?

This pic is what the "front grille filler panel" with the chrome strips looks like for previous models.
Name:  140293_x600.jpg
Views: 3183
Size:  19.5 KB
Old 12-29-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by joseaudi
My California car had a license plate sized plastic piece close to the middle of the grill upon delivery and upon removing it was glad to find a complete grill that didn't need any filler plaque like older Audis .

I really don't know what the previous posters are talking about.
Could you post a picture? I am going by what I have seen on build sheets. It lists two options for the front plate area.

One is the - 6W3 front license plate holder (for states that require front license plates)
The second one is - 6W9 front grille filler panel (grille filler with chrome strips - replaces license plate holder)

The PDF file is dated June 16, 2011. Maybe there is a revision.

Here's a shot from my local NY Audi dealer with a plate holder.

Name:  front17.jpg
Views: 9312
Size:  79.3 KB
Old 12-29-2011, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Ten Speed,

Thanks for the info. I looked at my order sheet and have the 6W3 Front License plate holder option+.

Sory if I'm missing something here but I still have a question. In the picture you posted it shows the license plate holder (6W3 I assume) and the filler panel (6W9 I assume) behind the grille. What option did you choose to get this look?

Is there an option that gets rid of the shiny strip behind the grille and just keeps the license plate holder?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dnebout
Hi Ten Speed,

Thanks for the info. I looked at my order sheet and have the 6W3 Front License plate holder option+.

Sory if I'm missing something here but I still have a question. In the picture you posted it shows the license plate holder (6W3 I assume) and the filler panel (6W9 I assume) behind the grille. What option did you choose to get this look?

Is there an option that gets rid of the shiny strip behind the grille and just keeps the license plate holder?
I don't know for sure. I took it as the license plate holder is built into the shiny strip. The other filler has two chrome strips. I am sure that the strip matches the rest of the grill.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

According to my dealer and Audi of America the 2012 order guide has a typo when it comes to code 6W9. Aparrently the same code applies to the A7, where there are chrome strips, hence the error.
I ordered 6W9 and ended up with the piano black grillle without the license plate holder. If someone has been able to get a front grille with chrome strips for their US spec 2012 A6 please post pictures.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mike a
According to my dealer and Audi of America the 2012 order guide has a typo when it comes to code 6W9. Aparrently the same code applies to the A7, where there are chrome strips, hence the error.
I ordered 6W9 and ended up with the piano black grillle without the license plate holder. If someone has been able to get a front grille with chrome strips for their US spec 2012 A6 please post pictures.
We all have the piano black grill. If you remove the license plate holder you have a nice Plain grill underneath. What you see in the pic that looks like a bar like on the old Audis is just a solid piece on the one piece grill that covers the metal bumper bracket .

Last edited by joseaudi; 12-30-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Front Grille / License Plate Holder