Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Full LED Headlights - US spec

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 AM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Full LED Headlights - US spec

There are a variety of posts on Audi sites as to how the full LED headlights behave. Some suggest that the LED's are ultra-sophisticated, tied in to the Nav system and a camera on the back of the rear view mirror, automatically changing light patterns and switching between low and high beams, while others state that the LED's behave much like old halogen headlights (though a lot brighter), with the driver switching between low and high beams.

Any info from someone who actually has the US spec led's much appreciated! (Also, any info as to whether the type of package chosen makes a difference - innovation or driver assistance, with separate led option).

Many thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not quite sure

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
I'm not sure the US version has all that implemented, especially the satnav part. Only thing I've noticed is they will lower if the back of the car is lowered by a heavy load, and the cornering lights. But they only work as low speed when you turn the wheel to begin a turn.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2809339&page=2

There's not documentation in the owner's manual on US spec'd cars about any additional functionality of the LED lights being connected to the satnav system. I was hoping for better clarification. But PJRed, is definitely knowledgeable on these type of things.

Wish I had more info for you.<O</O
Old 10-12-2011, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lostnspace

There's not documentation in the owner's manual on US spec'd cars about any additional functionality of the LED lights being connected to the satnav system. I was hoping for better clarification. But PJRed, is definitely knowledgeable on these type of things.

Wish I had more info for you.<O</O

Does it have hig beam assistence? i mean will the high beam change to low beam automatically if a car approaches on the opposite side?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lostnspace

But PJRed is definitely knowledgeable on these type of things
Thanks for the vote of confidence , but I'm as much in the dark about these as everybody else. I have not observed any additional function of the full LED lights beyond the auto-leveling and cornering, that includes autodimming. As I have never found auto-hightbeam systems to be anything other than a pain the butt, that is not a loss to me.

It would be nice to know, as others have suggested, if the additional options are tied to the Innovation package. I don't think there is anything in the driver assist package that would trigger it.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence , but I'm as much in the dark about these as everybody else. I have not observed any additional function of the full LED lights beyond the auto-leveling and cornering, that includes autodimming. As I have never found auto-hightbeam systems to be anything other than a pain the butt, that is not a loss to me.

It would be nice to know, as others have suggested, if the additional options are tied to the Innovation package. I don't think there is anything in the driver assist package that would trigger it.
LostNspcae has innovation package so if it has/adds additional options we would have known by now
Old 10-12-2011, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not an answer to the OP question, but a nice film, showing the breakthru of LED technology:

http://tv.audi.com/video/3835
Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fvike
Not an answer to the OP question, but a nice film, showing the breakthru of LED technology:

One thing for sure if Audi has realesed A6 with full spec available in Europe it would have been a seriuos impact to BMW sales here....

Once gain what the heck is wrong with those Audi team who ever is responsible for this dumb decission???
Old 10-12-2011, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I pulled out the owner's manual again, and no bueno. It does not indicate that my lights are any different from other people without Innovation, but have Full Led.

LOL I called Audi and they knew NOTHING! The lady was really nice and she was going to do some research and give me a call back within 24 hours lol.

She admitted the owner's manual is vague.

Originally Posted by BeAudi
LostNspcae has innovation package so if it has/adds additional options we would have known by now
LOL...I've not see my lights perform differently based on my location. I scanned the two pages from the manual.

Originally Posted by fvike

I like seeing things like this. The technology that goes into cars these days is so advanced. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by BeAudi
One thing for sure if Audi has realesed A6 with full spec available in Europe it would have been a seriuos impact to BMW sales here....

Once gain what the heck is wrong with those Audi team who ever is responsible for this dumb decission???
Clearly the one's who do not read these boards and know what we really want in our cars.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

lostnspace, My german manual is just like yours. It just shows how to use functions of the car. It does not explain the tech behind them.

I don't have full LEDs on my car, so I don't know how they behave, but I have the high beam assist with bi-xenons. I would imagine that the full LEDs have a CANbus speed signal from the car, so that it can determine how far light should be projected according to speed, plus the high beam assist to monitor for oncomming traffic. Braking ie. into a cross section would send a signal to the LEDs to spread the light out to the sides more for overview, and accellerating would center the lights to light up the road ahead. There really is no reason to tie it up to the satnav, it's just unneccesary data traffic. My .02 anyway.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like I am mistaken. Found something here: http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/vor...ent_assistance

"The adaptive light system provides extra safety. It controls the headlights automatically to ensure the optimum lighting is supplied for each driving situation. In line with the principles of the Audi connect technology, the route data is read in advance and transferred to the computer that controls the lights – the appropriate light settings are therefore set even as you are driving onto the motorway and the turning lights are activated before you get to junctions. This enhances safety significantly and makes sure the driver has a relaxing journey."

So, IF you have Audi connect; the car will control the lights (and blinkers too) for you, when you have an active navigation route in your NAV. Pretty cool stuff.

Quick Reply: Full LED Headlights - US spec