Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Gap under armrest lid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will agree that Americans are making strides to a point. Mainly I feel this way about Ford. My old man's Ford F-150 is something nice inside. However they have not come around enough yet to sway me from German autos. They didn't do it recently when I went SUV shopping.

As for the topic of the armrest. I personally like it. It appears to float if you will. Also, with the charging port and I-pod port in the cubbie, it makes it easy for me to grab those items and or cords for access. I personally like it.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I really enjoy seeing how American car makers are making huge progress lately especially after emerging from bankruptcy (GM in this instance). ATS and CTS are getting awesome reviews from reputable auto magazines, in particular the handling is getting top marks. That said, however, the Germans already established themselves as leaders in luxury auto-making long long time ago. They have been and still are the leaders and the benchmark as far as the mass production luxury auto manufacturing is concerned. Experience and reputation if you will do matter. You can overhaul the entire production process and drastically improve quality control but you cannot gain the goodwill in one or two years. That my friend takes long time. The real quality needs to be demonstrated consistently over a number of generations of the vehicles. Germans did it and Cady not yet but hopefully it will sometime in the future.
Another example how the Germans are always breaking ground and on the edge of engine technology .... I am starting to see a lot of domestic vehicles brands introducing diesel engines in their line-up. Alas, VW had diesel cars (not trucks) for as long as I can recall.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NVThs1
I will agree that Americans are making strides to a point. Mainly I feel this way about Ford. My old man's Ford F-150 is something nice inside. However they have not come around enough yet to sway me from German autos. They didn't do it recently when I went SUV shopping.

As for the topic of the armrest. I personally like it. It appears to float if you will. Also, with the charging port and I-pod port in the cubbie, it makes it easy for me to grab those items and or cords for access. I personally like it.
OK, I had to stop eating my dark chocolate covered acai & blueberry center morsels, wash my hands, put on my fleece jacket to go to my freezing cold garage (32 degrees outside) to see what the heck people are complaining about the center armrest.

I love what I saw and felt. I put my Anker fast phone charger, Leatherman pocket knife, my Valentine One fuzz buster and whatever fits in there. Also like the notched options to raise the height for those who need it. Almost wanted to fire up the engine, get the comfortable seat and steering wheel heat warmer going and take it for a spin.

Zero complains here. Trust me I am THE most critical (i.e. ****) person when it comes to these little things.

Last edited by s5blitzer; 11-22-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Almost every reviewer and owner would disagree with that assessment. Audi understands understated class and luxury.
Maybe, but I have seen more reviews in last few months where reviewers and people shopping the car mention how Audi set the bar, but has not raised it and now the others are catching up and passing Audi on the interior. I find it just OK for a $65K car. Don't get me wrong it is nice, just I felt the interior in my M37S felt more luxurious and upscale.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by directorguy7
"utilitarian".......uhhh that's the trademark of all real German cars. They can have plenty of luxury, but nothing will stand in the way of function over form.
If you want form over function, but Asian luxury cars.
If you want no function and no form buy 'Merican. (Come one! I had to say it, this is an Audi forum so probably nobody minds )
Look I love my A6, I just do not drink the Kool-Aid, if the car was function over form then what is the reason for some of the dumb ergonomics, volume **** and start button on right side of consolle, cup holder that crushes bottles and when in use makes accessing the MMI controls difficult, HVAC controls hidden behind the shifter and down low. The Asians are good with ergonomics, the Germans can learn a lesson from them.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by keithl
Look I love my A6, I just do not drink the Kool-Aid, if the car was function over form then what is the reason for some of the dumb ergonomics, volume **** and start button on right side of consolle, cup holder that crushes bottles and when in use makes accessing the MMI controls difficult, HVAC controls hidden behind the shifter and down low. The Asians are good with ergonomics, the Germans can learn a lesson from them.
I'm almost lost for words. Audi is a benchmark with the A6 interior design. It hit the market in 2012. Other manufacturers, and even Audi's A4, need to catch up. However, don't overlook the A8 and don't overlook the fact that you're not in an S-class. Perfection has a price. And a measly $65k ain't gonna cut it. Some of us accept that. Others will never understand.

It has nothing and everything to do with the origins of the cars. If it did, then we'd all have extra long wheelbase cheap cars with fish tanks in the glove box. However, that doesn't work for a German taxi driver.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
Look I love my A6, I just do not drink the Kool-Aid....
You say you love your A6 but most of your posts seem to indicate otherwise. Just curious, what DO you love about the car?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You say you love your A6 but most of your posts seem to indicate otherwise. Just curious, what DO you love about the car?
My review was very balanced. I love the drive train, the MMI the suspension, styling and many other things. I hate the steering, not a fan of the seats and the brake pedal feel (too much travel before the pads engage). I do not dislike the interior, I just don't thing it is all that. The leather feels cheap and the ergonomics are a bit messy for placement of things. The majority of my negative posts are all around steering, I am neutral on the interior, I do love the gauge cluster, one of the best I have ever seen, the MMI is by far one of the best setups I have seen as well,love how easy the nav is to use and Audi Connect (now that they have mine working finally) is awesome!

I have nothing against Audi Fanboys, but I just think some people are a little fanatical with the German Cars, like that can do no wrong. I have owned numerous cars, mostly Japanese and they are far from perfect too, and if my A6 turns out to be as reliable as my Japanese cars were I will likely buy another A6 or even S6. I don't feel the majority of my posts have been negative, and actually a few hear know me from Acurazine and know that I post very favorable comments on that forum about my A6 and how Acura has lost its way and should learn a few things form the Germans, but I also believe that is a 2 way street.

It is no secret the German cars are very expensive to produce and they have to cut somewhere to remain somewhat competitive, and my felling is some of that is in the interior.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

It just feels that using per perjoritive terms like "Audi fanboys" and "drink the koolaid" seem out of place on a dedicated Audi enthusiast forum like AudiWorld.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

The general term "fanboy" and "koolaid" generally are meant as those to the extreme and maybe not so open minded that their particular "insert brand here" is less than perfect. Then of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and perspective. There is nothing wrong with being a loyal brand follower, but those to the extreme that come off as if in this case the Germans are the only ones that can build a decent car. My point being that if Audi or any other brand built that great of a car they would own virtually all of the market. I am not slamming Audi loyalists or any other brand, but you have to admit there are some extremists on this and other car forums. I am the first to admit every brand has its greatness and weakness. I think Audi is on a great streak, they have found a great balance of performance, styling and engineering that is appealing to many people right now. They are winning sales from their German neighbors as well as their competitors from Asia. Of the German brands Audi has made the most improvements in reliability, with the A6 surpassing many highly respected Asian models.