Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Gearbox malfunction + many warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox malfunction + many warning lights

Hi guys, after having a 2012 A6 C7, 3.0 TFSI Quattro for an year and half, got to 198.000km total (50k in 1 year). Car was driving perfectly until few days ago, when first I smelled a burned oil during parking. Checked under bonnet and saw a bit of oil somewhere behind top left part.

Not sure if it's connected, but few days after I got my first "Gearbox malfunction, you can continue driving" message.

As I really could not take any time to visit the garage, and that message was going on and of intermittently in different time periods, I continued to drive cautiously, thinking to bring it to garage on weeekend.

Today, during my commuting to work, it started with that same message, then TPMS warning light started going on and off and on again, then ESP, then parking brake, first one with yellow and red lightnings on it, after that one fully red, after which rpm would drop to zero for some time and after some seconds again to 1500, which was kind of a limit I could go.

At the same time, a catalyst warning light went on, then engine temperature indicator light would drop down to 50 degrees only but all the time engine fans were working full speed, very loudly (temp indicator, when it would come back was showing steady 90 degrees).

ESP light also was on, as well as warning that Automatic Start-Stop system is not working.

What the heck is going on?????

Somehow I came home, but I am just going to rent another car and need to check this one. Probably garage will ask to change gearbox in full, but as warnings are coming and going in a 10-20 seconds intervals somehow I believe it might be something with electronic module, wiring (connector with oil dripping to it??) or whatever...

Does anybody have any advice?

Unfortunately, I will not be able to bring the car for diagnostics before Saturday morning.

Thank you all for any help you can give.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would scan the car with vcds first to see if it can shed some light on the error lights. If you have a friend with vcds near you, they can scan it for you.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i had the exact same issue. the problem is at the gearboxes computer. for me it was the plug at the computer. it is located under the car, near the gearbox. just take it out clean it and put it back in.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It seems like the same issue, yes.

I got a call from the garage yesterday, and they told they tried to bypass the connector but the Mechatronic unis is affected. It is showing no connection, even though they connected all the wires properly.

So, they are proposing the solution to change a Mechatronic unit (2000 euro for second hand one), which has to be programmed (500 euro) and their work will be 500 euro.

I would like more experienced ppl to comment. Total price is a killer, honestly, but I will not comment the price as that high is normal here.

1. Do I really need programming?
2. Any way of saving the unit? How to clean the connector properly?

Thank you all for any help!

Old 03-25-2018, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am just checking the options I have, and was wandering if there is a way to check if I only need a computer and not the full Mechatronic unit. I suppose that, on my last photo, the smaller unit to which the connector is attached, as the computer and the large unit behind, with the solenoids, is mechatronic unit. Right?
Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

My only comment would be that the connector in question has a pin that appears to be missing/broken off which I believe means there is no salvaging that connector and it must be replaced. Best of luck!
Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of risk using a 2nd hand one especially for 3000 euros. A new unit is £3000 GBP so your not far off from a brand new unit. The whole unit comes complete ie mechatronic unit (with software) and the computer. Not available to purchase individually. There is a repair kit available for the mechatronic in the form of a pcb for valve body AT £300 GBP. Check if they can use that unless they its totally FUBAR.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whats your gearbox code?
Old 01-19-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by amiklic1
Hi guys, after having a 2012 A6 C7, 3.0 TFSI Quattro for an year and half, got to 198.000km total (50k in 1 year). Car was driving perfectly until few days ago, when first I smelled a burned oil during parking. Checked under bonnet and saw a bit of oil somewhere behind top left part.

Not sure if it's connected, but few days after I got my first "Gearbox malfunction, you can continue driving" message.

As I really could not take any time to visit the garage, and that message was going on and of intermittently in different time periods, I continued to drive cautiously, thinking to bring it to garage on weeekend.

Today, during my commuting to work, it started with that same message, then TPMS warning light started going on and off and on again, then ESP, then parking brake, first one with yellow and red lightnings on it, after that one fully red, after which rpm would drop to zero for some time and after some seconds again to 1500, which was kind of a limit I could go.

At the same time, a catalyst warning light went on, then engine temperature indicator light would drop down to 50 degrees only but all the time engine fans were working full speed, very loudly (temp indicator, when it would come back was showing steady 90 degrees).

ESP light also was on, as well as warning that Automatic Start-Stop system is not working.

What the heck is going on?????

Somehow I came home, but I am just going to rent another car and need to check this one. Probably garage will ask to change gearbox in full, but as warnings are coming and going in a 10-20 seconds intervals somehow I believe it might be something with electronic module, wiring (connector with oil dripping to it??) or whatever...

Does anybody have any advice?

Unfortunately, I will not be able to bring the car for diagnostics before Saturday morning.

Thank you all for any help you can give.
You fixed the problem?
I have same problem with my audi a8 2011
Old 01-19-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi a8 2011

Originally Posted by RazvaNNN
i had the exact same issue. the problem is at the gearboxes computer. for me it was the plug at the computer. it is located under the car, near the gearbox. just take it out clean it and put it back in.

Hi ai have same problem with my audi a8 2011
I cleaned the plug and now my car working perfect without light on dash but im scary to caming back the problem
Can you tell me if you fixed the problem only with clean the plug?
Thank you

Quick Reply: Gearbox malfunction + many warning lights