Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
MENU + press **** + top right soft button

Same question - have you verified the SIM has service correctly?
Yes, Lycamobile confirmed that my SIM is activated. One main thing that concerns me is why my MMI/display hangs up with the Lycamobile SIM installed.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Yes, Lycamobile confirmed that my SIM is activated.
(Dis)trust but verify - have you actually seen internet data movement via that SIM? Of course Lycamobile tells you it's working, just like the mechanic tells you it's fixed, the salesman tells you it's included....

I agree - yours is the only one I've heard of hanging, which doesn't make me suspect your SIM any less...
Old 06-24-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default truphone

I just wanted to give people an update on the second Truphone sim I've done, this time on my 2014 A7. On the T-Mobile Sim my throughput was at best .5mbps in both directions. On the Truphone sim 1.5mbps with roaming on. It may be roaming on att but T-Mobile is obviously here in los Angeles too. It shows 3G which must be the case based on the speed. Seems earlier mmis would only see the T-Mobile aws 3g bands and give 2g edge often.

Not Verizon 14mbps lte but plenty to have the kids get my bill in trouble with the metered usage.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just FYI - i got my Lyca SIM in the mail and had to go online to their website to activate it and get phone number assigned. Plugged into my 2012 A6 with the right APN settings and it worked perfectly immediately.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Seems like most problems have been the APN info - it's all lowercase, those are "L"s (lowercase) and apparently it's easy to get extra space(s) after the text.
You were very close - I had a space before the text in the APN.
(Now my dumbs!!t light is on!)

Thank you and everybody for their input.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
You were very close - I had a space before the text in the APN.
Cool! I'll remember next time to say something like "spaces in the APN text". Text input with a dial is just NOT ideal as we Garmin Colorado owners can attest! (Actually my RNS-D was similarly painful.)

It sure would be nice if there were some user-accessible diagnostic errors for this. I should have thought to have you scan the 5F module with VCDS in case it threw a code of some sort.

It would be even nicer if we could figure out how to enable the European SAP (SIM Access Profile) coding - as I think that's close to the holy grail of many US Audi Connect people! (Well I think WiFi client vs server is the true holy grail, but SAP at least is offered by Audi, so might be feasible.)
Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cool! I'll remember next time to say something like "spaces in the APN text". Text input with a dial is just NOT ideal as we Garmin Colorado owners can attest! (Actually my RNS-D was similarly painful.)

It sure would be nice if there were some user-accessible diagnostic errors for this. I should have thought to have you scan the 5F module with VCDS in case it threw a code of some sort.

It would be even nicer if we could figure out how to enable the European SAP (SIM Access Profile) coding - as I think that's close to the holy grail of many US Audi Connect people! (Well I think WiFi client vs server is the true holy grail, but SAP at least is offered by Audi, so might be feasible.)
I think I used the touchpad for text entry, I find that works well.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2008A6
Just FYI - i got my Lyca SIM in the mail and had to go online to their website to activate it and get phone number assigned. Plugged into my 2012 A6 with the right APN settings and it worked perfectly immediately.
This was my experience as well, though for some reason the website said I was already registered for an account when I activated the SIM so I had to call, but they took care of it quickly. Data is working perfectly, however my usage was quite a bit higher than I expected for one day's worth of driving. I did go to an area I'd not been to before, so I'm writing that off as a one time thing. I'm not displaying the NAV screen all the time as I used to, so the usage is nil that way.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If you regularly use Google Earth and often travel about a 20 miles radius from your last location, the amount of data used can be daunting. One advantage to the (effective) $15 per month T-Mobile unlimited data program.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, my Lyca card worked fine for about a week and then just stopped. No data since June 22nd even though I have $14.20 of the original $15 left on the account. Was verified working when installed ie. Google search,gas prices etc. Nothing changed in MMI. Tried basic troubleshooting but cant seem to connect to AC anymore..Any suggestions??

Quick Reply: Get yer' Prepaid Audi Connect!