Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Help with Live Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Live Traffic

I bought a C7 S6 CPO with 4500 miles. I had three weeks left on the free trial of Sirius, but I had it switched over to my exisiting SiriusXM account which had more channels than the trial version. Also, I lost my Audi Connect free trial, but I purchased the 30 month package from Verizon. So I have Sirius and Audi Connect - problem is I don't have Live Traffic. At least I can't get it to come up anywhere. I read the owner's manual, went to menu -> info and nothing. Just a screen that says info on how to subscribe to Sirius. I have the soft button for Audi Connect and that works fine, but no live traffic.

Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Traffic is a separate subscription from Sirius (not Audi Connect) and costs $3.99 per month. Call Sirius if you want to subscribe.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Traffic is a separate subscription from Sirius (not Audi Connect) and costs $3.99 per month. Call Sirius if you want to subscribe.
Ahaaaa. That explains it - thanks snagit. The book doesn't tell you these things. Drove home yesterday frustrated trying to get traffic to come up. So I've paid for Sirius radio - expensive. Audi Connect - expensive. And now Traffic - not too expensive but adds up. My iPhone can do all these things free, just not on the MMI. Essentially I'm not paying to have these things, but to have them on my screen in my high tech toy.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm trying out Connect for 1 month. So far I am underwhelmed. I don't think I would ever use the "browser" function, I would use my phone. Google satellite imagery is nice, but I kind of prefer the plain maps. I'm sure Google search is a nice feature, but again phone and siri works for that. I don't need a wifi hotspot in my car (again my phone can do that). I don't even get 3G in my area, it is 2G roaming...

I would maybe pay $5 a month for it, but I'd still have to think about it. So far I plan on letting it expire and not renewing, maybe something will change my mind.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I'm trying out Connect for 1 month. So far I am underwhelmed. I don't think I would ever use the "browser" function, I would use my phone. Google satellite imagery is nice, but I kind of prefer the plain maps. I'm sure Google search is a nice feature, but again phone and siri works for that. I don't need a wifi hotspot in my car (again my phone can do that). I don't even get 3G in my area, it is 2G roaming...

I would maybe pay $5 a month for it, but I'd still have to think about it. So far I plan on letting it expire and not renewing, maybe something will change my mind.
The one thing that makes it all worth the subscription fee is the ability to send a destination from Google Maps on your desktop computer to your car. You can do a quick search on your home or work PC, and click Send to send the destination to your car and call it up as the navigation destination. It is very quick, easy, and you can verify the accuracy. I love that feature.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw

What you say is absolutely true but the whole point of Audi Connect with all of its options is full integration with the MMI and large nav screen that we already paid for. While a phone can certainly do all of the things you mentioned, it can't integrate with the MMI system and screen and requires full attention away from driving to operate. The beauty and usefulness of the Nav+ is complete, minimal distraction control and access with Audi Connect being the portal.

At $15 a month (equivalent to a lunch for two at McDonald's) after spending $65K for all the tech, I feel it's more than well worth it. If all I got was Google Online Destinations with the MMI map integration, I'd still pay it. Of course, others may disagree and find their smartphone is adequate.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 2 big wins with Audi Connect are...

1. Being able to search Google for destinations. Audi's in-car DB become stale quickly.

2. Being able to send directions from Google Maps.

I use these both enough that an extra $15/mo on a $67k car is worth it to me.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree, traffic and Audi Connect are must haves for me.
I use the wifi for my smartphone so i am not burning data on my phone's data plan. Sending destinations from my pc to my car is a frequent and convenient activity for me.

However, i think i can live without Sirius. Even with the "deals" they offer, i find it hard to listen to the poor quality compressed music they broadcast. OTR FM stations i find locally sound much better by comparison, and the rest of the time i stream Pandora, rhapsody or other online music/news sources via bluetooth.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes, but isn't the Sirius traffic supposed to be included for 4 years?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...sirius+traffic
Old 07-09-2013, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Only for the original owner unless you fight for it

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2848264

Quick Reply: Help with Live Traffic