Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Impressions of 1st 4 days with my A6 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Impressions of 1st 4 days with my A6 TDI

So after placing my order with New Orleans Audi (great dealership, great personnel, very concerned about customer satisfaction) on 6/25, tracking the car across the Atlantic, and waiting for it to get from Brunswick, GA to my dealer, I finally picked up my new 2014 Prestige A6 - Daytona Gray/black/black headliner, with black optics, driver assist, Bose, and LEDs - last Wednesday evening (9/4). Naturally it rained on Thursday so no pics till my detailer finishes with the car on Tuesday. But while the rain kept me from taking pics, it didn't keep me from enjoying my car for the past 4 days.

ECONOMY: I live about 65 miles out of NOLA and have made one trip home and 1 round trip today to the city and back (the Saints game today - sorry Falcons). Started with a full tank courtesy of the dealer and am still one mark above a half-tank with 280 miles on the car. I think fuel mileage will be very good. I know that the trip computer will check out as optimistic (as have all of my previous Audis), but as a reference I'm using today's drive info. The drive into town (a mix of secondary roads, interstate, and ground level with minimal traffic but a stop of about 5 minutes with the car idling) showed 34.5mpg. The drive back (including the same interstate and secondary roads but about 45 minutes of idling in post game traffic) showed 29.5mpg.

TORQUE: This thing has torque for days and that just makes driving it more fun. VERY good low end and mid range grunt. I gave it its head just a little for a run from about 60 to 100 or so - very impressive - got up there very quickly. First run home with the cruise control set at 77 I put the Tip in "M" and cruised for 5 miles at a time in 8th, then 7th, then 6th, then 5th so as to vary the RPMs. Very good pickup cracking the throttle in each gear.

TECHNOLOGY: Used the Active Cruise Control coming back from the game in stop and go traffic on the interstate, secondary roads, and some small towns. Had the interval set at the shortest possible (seemed to be about 1 second behind whatever was in front of me). Brought me to a full stop and then back up to speed several times. Was behind a motorcycle for part of the time and it was sensitive enough to recognize the bike exactly the same as a large SUV. I found the ACC very easy to get acclimated to. Didn't have any experience with Active Lane Control. I parallel park very well, but the camera system makes parking so easy it's laughable. The overhead view blew away everyone who was in the car over the weekend. Audi Connect enabled my significant other to use her iPad on the way to the game to handle e-mail and bill paying stuff, and the Google Map view is just really neat. The vented seats are great in the high humidity we have.

Fit and finish are typical Audi so the interior is just great. I know that everyone has their own favorite color combination, but I've always been a fan of Daytona Gray. Visually the car is stunning, and the black optics package works very well with this color. I like the wheels (I know that some don't but this is my car, not theirs) and the titanium finish blends well with the car color and should make the inevitable brake dusting less noticeable.

In short, the grin that I had when I picked up the car is still there and I'm looking forward to putting more miles on the car and want to see how the power and economy improve as it gets broken in.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAessate
So after placing my order with New Orleans Audi (great dealership, great personnel, very concerned about customer satisfaction) on 6/25, tracking the car across the Atlantic, and waiting for it to get from Brunswick, GA to my dealer, I finally picked up my new 2014 Prestige A6 - Daytona Gray/black/black headliner, with black optics, driver assist, Bose, and LEDs - last Wednesday evening (9/4). Naturally it rained on Thursday so no pics till my detailer finishes with the car on Tuesday. But while the rain kept me from taking pics, it didn't keep me from enjoying my car for the past 4 days.

ECONOMY: I live about 65 miles out of NOLA and have made one trip home and 1 round trip today to the city and back (the Saints game today - sorry Falcons). Started with a full tank courtesy of the dealer and am still one mark above a half-tank with 280 miles on the car. I think fuel mileage will be very good. I know that the trip computer will check out as optimistic (as have all of my previous Audis), but as a reference I'm using today's drive info. The drive into town (a mix of secondary roads, interstate, and ground level with minimal traffic but a stop of about 5 minutes with the car idling) showed 34.5mpg. The drive back (including the same interstate and secondary roads but about 45 minutes of idling in post game traffic) showed 29.5mpg.

TORQUE: This thing has torque for days and that just makes driving it more fun. VERY good low end and mid range grunt. I gave it its head just a little for a run from about 60 to 100 or so - very impressive - got up there very quickly. First run home with the cruise control set at 77 I put the Tip in "M" and cruised for 5 miles at a time in 8th, then 7th, then 6th, then 5th so as to vary the RPMs. Very good pickup cracking the throttle in each gear.

TECHNOLOGY: Used the Active Cruise Control coming back from the game in stop and go traffic on the interstate, secondary roads, and some small towns. Had the interval set at the shortest possible (seemed to be about 1 second behind whatever was in front of me). Brought me to a full stop and then back up to speed several times. Was behind a motorcycle for part of the time and it was sensitive enough to recognize the bike exactly the same as a large SUV. I found the ACC very easy to get acclimated to. Didn't have any experience with Active Lane Control. I parallel park very well, but the camera system makes parking so easy it's laughable. The overhead view blew away everyone who was in the car over the weekend. Audi Connect enabled my significant other to use her iPad on the way to the game to handle e-mail and bill paying stuff, and the Google Map view is just really neat. The vented seats are great in the high humidity we have.

Fit and finish are typical Audi so the interior is just great. I know that everyone has their own favorite color combination, but I've always been a fan of Daytona Gray. Visually the car is stunning, and the black optics package works very well with this color. I like the wheels (I know that some don't but this is my car, not theirs) and the titanium finish blends well with the car color and should make the inevitable brake dusting less noticeable.

In short, the grin that I had when I picked up the car is still there and I'm looking forward to putting more miles on the car and want to see how the power and economy improve as it gets broken in.
GREAT write up. Thanks. I love that color combo.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:39 PM
DBV
AudiWorld Member

Great write up. Nice to hear a review on the TDI!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
GREAT write up. Thanks. I love that color combo.
+1. Thanks!