Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Insurance Buyback

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance Buyback

So, my 18 A6 has been declared a total loss. Anyone know how the buyback process works?
Old 11-14-2019, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Usually they write you a check for the depreciated value, and then you go home and lay in the fetal postition for a couple of days.

Edit: I must have fell asleep as I just noticed I never finished this post.

Last edited by xanmato; 11-15-2019 at 06:20 PM. Reason: wat
The following users liked this post:
A665 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 12:48 AM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Friend of mine bought 2 of his cars back after total. Its based on what the wrecking yard will give them. Usually Coparts, who buys it, then auctions them. So someone may rebuild it. Just ask your insurance company what it will take to buy it back.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my 2014 A6 was totaled (flooded) I went thru the process. They will make a best estimate of the cost of the car by getting data from similar outfitted cars (same year / model) and will adjust for the options (not any custom items you may have added). They should provide all this data to you. When I received my first estimate I challenged them on the comparisons and showed them why mine should be worth a lot more and they actually removed one or two and added another that raised it higher. My car was in perfect condition and only 13k miles when it was totaled - after a bit of haggling I received more that what Edmunds/KBB indicated would receive as a private sale but not by much.

Last edited by oceanengineer; 11-15-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pschall
So, my 18 A6 has been declared a total loss. Anyone know how the buyback process works?
Kind of thought this might happen from your other post. You should have the option to buy it back. Just communicate with your insurance company and let them know that you might be interested. I've bought a couple before they ever went to an auction site.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:19 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

You have to tell us what the damage estimate was. Or did they stop when it reached a certain $ amount?
Old 11-18-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe they quote you the value of the vehicle as it currently stands for you to consider buying it back.
If you decide to buy it back, then you are buying it as-is with a totaled status.
From there, you'd be responsible for having it repaired, inspected, towards having the tags updated to salvaged.
Other items to consider, your insurance rate for this specific vehicle may go up higher as it will be considered a salvaged vehicle.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:39 AM
Can't drive 75...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oceanengineer
When my 2014 A6 was totaled (flooded) I went thru the process. They will make a best estimate of the cost of the car by getting data from similar outfitted cars (same year / model) and will adjust for the options (not any custom items you may have added). They should provide all this data to you. When I received my first estimate I challenged them on the comparisons and showed them why mine should be worth a lot more and they actually removed one or two and added another that raised it higher. My car was in perfect condition and only 13k miles when it was totaled - after a bit of haggling I received more that what Edmunds/KBB indicated would receive as a private sale but not by much.
^^^ This ^^^ I had 3 vehicles totaled in one hail storm last year. Man that sucked!
Old 11-19-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damage was 15k. They totaled it out due to not being able to restore it to original condition. I suspect they totaled it out due to getting a $17k salvage bid. I ended up replacing it with a Lexus GS 350. I'm putting too many miles on my car to worry about maintaining an Audi north of 100k. Loved the car though and miss it. If Audi had better long-term reliability, I would have stuck with the brand. I'm back to believing these cars are good to lease. FWIW, the day before I had the accident my mechanic diagnosed a pretty serious oil leak coming down the timing chain cover. I think this is unacceptable @ 25k miles.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pschall
Damage was 15k. They totaled it out due to not being able to restore it to original condition. I suspect they totaled it out due to getting a $17k salvage bid. I ended up replacing it with a Lexus GS 350. I'm putting too many miles on my car to worry about maintaining an Audi north of 100k. Loved the car though and miss it. If Audi had better long-term reliability, I would have stuck with the brand. I'm back to believing these cars are good to lease. FWIW, the day before I had the accident my mechanic diagnosed a pretty serious oil leak coming down the timing chain cover. I think this is unacceptable @ 25k miles.
i know this like politics, but I watch the reliability ratings and Audi has come a long ways recently. I know that doesn’t help someone who got one with defects, but a lot of ratings put Audi ahead of Infinity now. Consumer Reports is one of those. They used to write that Audi’s reliability was atrocious, but rate it very high now. I know that doesn’t you, but in fairness to Audi, I think they are pretty good.,

Quick Reply: Insurance Buyback