Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Keeping Display Off / Stored

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping Display Off / Stored

Hi all, I just got my first Audi (2015 A6 p+). Love many things about the car but... One thing that is annoying me a little is I like the look of the dash while the display is closed up / stored in the dash and would like to keep it that way 99% of the time. I do like it for making setting changes, back up camera, or for Nav, but otherwise I want it stored. So far every time I start the car I have to then right away press the button on the dash to store it... Is there a hack or override to keep it stored?
Old 10-17-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

This has come up many times ever since Audi started using retractable MMI screens. If you close the screen manually before turning off the car, it stays closed the next time you start up. However, as soon as you place the car in reverse or turn on the radio it will raise again. No one has found coding with Vag-Com to override this.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I want the screen up all of the time. I think that Audi screwed up by not having a radio display of any use, having one instead of the nav is dumb, I want one in addition to. To defeat having the availability of information is the equivalent of a speedo and idiot lights.
There is no point in hiding the screen when I'm not in the car.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
This has come up many times ever since Audi started using retractable MMI screens. If you close the screen manually before turning off the car, it stays closed the next time you start up. However, as soon as you place the car in reverse or turn on the radio it will raise again. No one has found coding with Vag-Com to override this.
Snagit, I must be doing something wrong. By closing manually, you do mean pushing the button on the dash, right? I do that and it still pops up when I start the car (irrespective of whether I pull forward or go in reverse). If I had the time, would like to put in a 'kill switch' for the display motor so that the screen only pops up on my command.

DB22, agree that there could have been a much smaller and discreet radio display screen in addition to large nav screen, but scrolling through my presets from steering wheel and seeing radio station only display on dash will have to suffice. One of the reasons I chose the Audi was so that I would not see a big screen taking up too much dash real estate. Couldn't imagine the distraction in the Tesla with its screen that looks like an iPad on steroids.... We all have our personal preferences.

My ideal would be to have the default setting be 'in dash'. 99.9% of the time I know where I am going (just ask my wife) so the nav is useless to me, it's rare that I have to make any adjustments (e.g. resetting TPS after filling tires) and my neck still works so i have no use for the back-up camera. Again, person preference, not disrespecting preferences of others here.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe you would have to turn off the radio first before turning off the car. In my A6 you press the on/off/mute radio button for a few seconds. If the radio is left on, the screen will always rise.

The rear camera is one of the best safety and convenience features ever implemented. I wouldn't own a car without it.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-17-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all. Good information and the opinions are food for thought.

Having just spent my first real busy driving around day with the A6 yesterday, I am very happy with the info and set up of the main driver display and gauges. The larger info-entertainment display is annoying but I'm getting use to pressing the hid button.

I have had the pleasure of driving a wide variety of cars across Europe and North American in the last year. The ones that stick out for influencing my opinion are the Tesla S, Subaru BRZ, Acura TL, and VW ??? in France. One thing I now feel stronger than ever about is that a little info presented well goes a long way. Example: parking sensors plus a little driver training are better than 5 cameras with giant displays.

Anyway, feel free to continue the discussion but I feel like I've the original question answered. Great forum, glad I found it :-)
Old 10-18-2015, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree that in this day and age it would be simple for Audi to offer menu options to default what happens with the display under a variety of conditions. But then again, this is the car that is nearly impossible to actually turn the sound system off so that it does not come back on every time you start the car.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I have to agree that in this day and age it would be simple for Audi to offer menu options to default what happens with the display under a variety of conditions. But then again, this is the car that is nearly impossible to actually turn the sound system off so that it does not come back on every time you start the car.
You can set the volume to zero on startup with vcds. I changed mine from 12 to 6.
More importantly, it would be nice if it had a display for the radio, at least one where you didn't have to delete some other display just to see radio text. I would be happy if they put useful information in the mid regarding radio but even that would eliminate another useful display. Most cars super the info over nav or have a separate display.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can't the new MMI in the MY2016 allow for some dual configuration in the DIS, i.e. nav in DIS while leaving radio controls in the main screen?
Old 10-18-2015, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Can't the new MMI in the MY2016 allow for some dual configuration in the DIS, i.e. nav in DIS while leaving radio controls in the main screen?
That would be nice, but in my 2016 A6 TDI even if I set the DIS to NAV (then Main screen to radio, it still defaults the DIS to speedo at next startup (remembers main screen though.) This is literally my only complaint with this car. I dont need speedo on DIS, on HUD AND on a dial. Prefer to have HUD and use the dial when accelerating fast to further detail just how quick. Hopefully they fix this in an update, but really such a minor complaint.

Curious with the C7 starting to get owners with some usage behind them how that screen is holding up. I remembered when I first got my 2013 C7 I researched the crap out of that and it sounds like it really is typical VW and built to last forever, with a cable/motor system of some kind versus pure motor etc...

Quick Reply: Keeping Display Off / Stored