Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

left side passenger folding door mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default left side passenger folding door mirror

left side passenger door folding mirror does not fold.it used to. right side is fine. removed door trim and power up pink and blue wire alternately will fold mirror in and out. do door controllers fail or whats the likely cause
Old 07-22-2018, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

I have never heard of the issue. What year is the car and what is your climate like?
Old 07-22-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My car is a 2012 a6 c7 2.8 fsi. Climate 60 to 80% humidity temp -2 to 35 degrees c depending of the season.The right mirror has no issue.The left mirror itself must be ok,so its not commanding the controller to send power or the controller just isn't sending the power after being commanded to do so.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by k1mh
My car is a 2012 a6 c7 2.8 fsi. Climate 60 to 80% humidity temp -2 to 35 degrees c depending of the season.The right mirror has no issue.The left mirror itself must be ok,so its not commanding the controller to send power or the controller just isn't sending the power after being commanded to do so.
I'm in the same boat as you, well kinda, my 2012 A6 3.0 has the right mirror that stopped folding. Hoping somebody on here has dealt with the folding mirrors!
Old 12-26-2018, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Has anyone found a cause for this problem? I have a 2015 A6 with a similar issue. My passenger side mirror doesn’t always unfold when the car is started. Sometimes it unfolds about 20%. Usually it’s fine but every 10 or 15 times or so I have trouble. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn’t duplicate the issue so no repair was done. Me being cynical like I am I feel like they probably didn’t spend too much time on it since I have a number to bumper service contract. When my contract ends in another 25k miles it will be out of pocket to fix. Trying to avoid that.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are observing intermittent unfolding issues believe it or not I have discovered that on our Passat with folding mirrors that the intermittent unfolding was associated with parking too closely to the car next door. If I unlocked the door the mirror would not unfold until I started the car. I finally figured out it was because the side sensors must tell the computer not to unfold the mirrors until the passengers are seated to give them extra room to walk around the car. Not something I could find documented anywhere but sure enough it only did it when I was parked close to a car. So for the people experiencing the unfolding issue is it just when you unlock the car or does it never unfold?
Old 12-27-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by nhdoc
If you are observing intermittent unfolding issues believe it or not I have discovered that on our Passat with folding mirrors that the intermittent unfolding was associated with parking too closely to the car next door. If I unlocked the door the mirror would not unfold until I started the car. I finally figured out it was because the side sensors must tell the computer not to unfold the mirrors until the passengers are seated to give them extra room to walk around the car. Not something I could find documented anywhere but sure enough it only did it when I was parked close to a car. So for the people experiencing the unfolding issue is it just when you unlock the car or does it never unfold?
Now that's an interesting tidbit!
Old 12-27-2018, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

on my A6 the way that the power mirrors are supposed to work is - fold in after exiting and locking the car with either the key fob or the finger sensor button thing on the door handle. Unlocking occurs upon starting the engine.
Im not sure if the the theory about waiting till passengers are seated makes sense. Suppose there is no front passenger. Would that mean the mirror wouldn’t ever unfold unless there’s an occupant in the seat?
there might be something to what you say about not ununfolding if parked close to another vehicle. I saw no mention of this in the manual but it would make sense.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cjeckho

on my A6 the way that the power mirrors are supposed to work is - fold in after exiting and locking the car with either the key fob or the finger sensor button thing on the door handle. Unlocking occurs upon starting the engine.
Im not sure if the the theory about waiting till passengers are seated makes sense. Suppose there is no front passenger. Would that mean the mirror wouldn’t ever unfold unless there’s an occupant in the seat?
there might be something to what you say about not ununfolding if parked close to another vehicle. I saw no mention of this in the manual but it would make sense.
What I meant was if the mirrors wait until the car is started then the assumption is both the driver and passengers are seated, not that the car knows when a passenger is seated (or even cares). On the Passat the mirrors will normally fold when the doors are locked (either with the fob or by touching the door handle) and unfold when the doors are unlocked, except if a car is parked too close in which case the mirror on that side will stay folded until the ignition is started. I figured the VW/Audi line might share the way the feature works so I mentioned the observation I had about my Passat's "feature".

For what it is worth I hate the auto folding mirrors and have shut them off in all my cars. If I feel it is needed I fold them manually.

Last edited by nhdoc; 12-27-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What I meant was if the mirrors wait until the car is started then the assumption is both the driver and passengers are seated, not that the car knows when a passenger is seated (or even cares). On the Passat the mirrors will normally fold when the doors are locked (either with the fob or by touching the door handle) and unfold when the doors are unlocked, except if a car is parked too close in which case the mirror on that side will stay folded until the ignition is started. I figured the VW/Audi line might share the way the feature works so I mentioned the observation I had about my Passat's "feature".

For what it is worth I hate the auto folding mirrors and have shut them off in all my cars. If I feel it is needed I fold them manually.
I'll have to try it out. I'm usually in a parking stall next to other cars, so it seems that the mirrors only open when I start the car. I'll have to put it out in the open and test it. I may turn mine off too. It always surprises me when I start the car and they move as I think someone is walking by the car or another car is moving behind me.