Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Location of cooling fan fuse(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Location of cooling fan fuse(s)?

Quick question.. Searched the forums for a comprehensive fuse diagram for all the various fuse boxes and relays with no luck. Can anyone tell me what fuse (and where) is for the cooling fans?

2012 prestige.

thanks!

-m
Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just to clarify, the cooling fan fuses are not in one of the three regular fuse panels. They used to be mounted on the battery in the C6 models, and I assume they are probably somewhere under the hood (under the plenum?) I know someone knows this or has a service manual.... Thanks for your help!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Found the engine compartment E-box

Originally Posted by Mattbult
Just to clarify, the cooling fan fuses are not in one of the three regular fuse panels. They used to be mounted on the battery in the C6 models, and I assume they are probably somewhere under the hood (under the plenum?) I know someone knows this or has a service manual.... Thanks for your help!
A bit of a one-sided conversation here... Ok, I found the engine compartment fuse/relay box; its under the ECM, which is under the washer fluid reservoir, which is under the plenum chamber cover. Now to see if the cooling fan fuse/fuses are actually in there and if anything is blown, I should have time to mess with it after work tomorrow. If anyone has a fuse/relay diagram of the connections in that box, please share. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2016, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

A bit of a one-sided conversation here... Ok, I found the engine compartment fuse/relay box; its under the ECM, which is under the washer fluid reservoir, which is under the plenum chamber cover. Now to see if the cooling fan fuse/fuses are actually in there and if anything is blown, I should have time to mess with it after work tomorrow. If anyone has a fuse/relay diagram of the connections in that box, please share. Thanks!
In case anyone comes across this thread, I have resolution. Found the fuses, both 40A, both blown. Replaced with new 40 amp fuses and both fans operating properly, still working after about an hour. Maybe just a perfect storm of electrical overload, I literally got a call on bluetooth, closed the sunroof and auto-up on the windows, turned on the a/c, and had been sitting stationary in traffic in the heat for 15 minutes. Going to reset the codes with vag/com and see how it goes. If anyone needs help finding these fuses, let me know. They were not in the e-box under the ECM and washer reservoir. They were in a separate panel under the crossmember. Just about the most difficult location possible.

Two 40 amp fuses blown. Had to buy at the dealer.

panel is under the plenum cover and crossmember in the center rear of the engine compartment.
The following users liked this post:
inquirer (01-30-2022)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks this was a life saver

In case anyone comes across this thread, I have resolution. Found the fuses, both 40A, both blown. Replaced with new 40 amp fuses and both fans operating properly, still working after about an hour. Maybe just a perfect storm of electrical overload, I literally got a call on bluetooth, closed the sunroof and auto-up on the windows, turned on the a/c, and had been sitting stationary in traffic in the heat for 15 minutes. Going to reset the codes with vag/com and see how it goes. If anyone needs help finding these fuses, let me know. They were not in the e-box under the ECM and washer reservoir. They were in a separate panel under the crossmember. Just about the most difficult location possible.

Two 40 amp fuses blown. Had to buy at the dealer.

panel is under the plenum cover and crossmember in the center rear of the engine compartment.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey, really thankful someone could get some benefit from it. As an update, its 14 months and about 15k miles later, still no fan issues or any blown fuses beyond the original two noted in this thread. Working great! I did get an oil change and coolant flush after the overheat, FYI.

-m

Last edited by Mattbult; 09-04-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, really thankful someone could get some benefit from it. As an update, its 14 months and about 15k miles later, still no fan issues or any blown fuses beyond the original two noted in this thread. Working great! I did get an oil change and coolant flush after the overheat, FYI.

-m
Good job, I had the same issue, but turned out not too difficult

click HERE, just incase, if you like pictures
The following 2 users liked this post by BOPOH:
Mattbult (04-26-2021), Zinger2012 (02-21-2021)
Old 11-05-2018, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

-m
You just saved my life! Had the same issue with mine! Overheated suddenly in traffic. Thanks for this topic, because I couldn't find this fuse in owner manual. You just saved a man in Brazil!
The following 2 users liked this post by coac:
Mattbult (04-26-2021), Robdog383 (11-30-2023)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome! Glad you got it taken care of. Ended up trading in the car late last year on a Tesla, but never had a fuse or fan problem again after this one incident.

Last edited by Mattbult; 06-10-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Just have the same situation both fan fuses opened dealer found

I'm very happy to have read this post because the dealer just changed both the fuses and they're going to test out the car for a day They were very surprised and said this is a rare situation. No doubt age or maybe environmental factors reduced the lifespan of these fuses because both my fans are working fine.

Awesome! Glad you got it taken care of. Ended up trading in the car late last year on a Tesla, but never had a fuse of fan problem again after this one incident.
The following users liked this post:
Mattbult (04-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Location of cooling fan fuse(s)?