Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Looking for dipstick!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for dipstick!

Hi all. I have a 2017 Audi A6 2.0t quattro. Why can't I find an oil dipstick for this particular model? I found C6 and 3.0 dipsticks, but I can't find 2017 C7 2.0.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately it's the same as the rest, go buy one! ECS Tuning has them...
Old 01-29-2022, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

After a bit of research, I bought an Audi OEM dipstick for my A6 C7.5 3.0T. Audi must have changed something in the mid-cycle refresh because the dipstick doesn't read the oil level correctly. With the proper amount of oil, the dipstick reads way above the max fill line. A friend of mine with a 2012 A6 3.0T has the same dipstick but his reads the oil level correctly. I am guessing that as part of the mid-cycle refresh, Audi eliminated the dipstick and also made the oil dipstick tube an inch shorter to save a penny. That said, even if you get a dipstick, it may not show an oil level that matches up correctly with the marks on the dipstick. Maybe it's different on the 2.0T engine, but this was my experience with the 3.0T engine.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You may well be right. We have a 2012 A4 2.0 and a 2014 C7 3.0.
I bought one for my son's A4 which seems to be accurate. I am not so sure about my A6 3.0. It appears to be low on the dipstick but OK on the vehicle system.
Who knows but I am concerned about overfilling and foaming...

​​​

​​
Old 01-30-2022, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PEB60
You may well be right. We have a 2012 A4 2.0 and a 2014 C7 3.0.
I bought one for my son's A4 which seems to be accurate. I am not so sure about my A6 3.0. It appears to be low on the dipstick but OK on the vehicle system.
Who knows but I am concerned about overfilling and foaming...

​​​

​​
I can't 100% speak for the A4, but with my friend's 2012 A6 3.0T, the MMI actually told him the oil was over filed after he took it once to one of those quickie lube places. They had added a 1/2 quart too much oil. If you know the correct oil capacity, and that's the amount of oil you put in, you shouldn't have any issues. Since the dipstick doesn't properly indicate the level, I would just note the location of the level on the dipstick after an oil change with the proper amount of oil and use that as an indicator of proper level. You should have about 1/2 inch below that point until you get to an "add oil" point. The MMI will also warn you of a low oil situation. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
rayjays (05-12-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Cannot find dipstick for my particular model anywhere. Called ECS but wasn’t confident in the rep. He was looking on the site for answers like you and I would if we were on the site. Then he just said we don’t have it for my particular model, C7.5 2.0t. With mid cycle refresh length of dipstick tube is probably different. I think I’ll do what other member did. Change oil, then use some universal dipstick and where ever mark is, consider that normal and adjust accordingly. You guys also mentioned dash would notify me if I was low on oil. I’m guessing dashboard works independently from MMI. Correct?
Old 02-05-2022, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by G_cor
Thanks guys. Cannot find dipstick for my particular model anywhere. Called ECS but wasn’t confident in the rep. He was looking on the site for answers like you and I would if we were on the site. Then he just said we don’t have it for my particular model, C7.5 2.0t. With mid cycle refresh length of dipstick tube is probably different. I think I’ll do what other member did. Change oil, then use some universal dipstick and where ever mark is, consider that normal and adjust accordingly. You guys also mentioned dash would notify me if I was low on oil. I’m guessing dashboard works independently from MMI. Correct?
The MMI will show you current oil level when you pull it up. The dash will notify you with a message like "Low oil, Add a quart OK to drive". I'm being specific because I received that exact message on my Audi CPO A6 3.0T about 200 miles after I bought it. That experience along with the battery also needing replacement in an Audi CPO car made me seriously doubt the whole Audi CPO designation, but that's a different story/thread.
The following users liked this post:
G_cor (02-07-2022)