Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LY: Gearbox overheating please adapt driving style

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY: Gearbox overheating please adapt driving style

hey everyone.

i have a problem i hope i can find someone here can help me with it.

i have an A6 C7 2.0t, the thing is that i got the gear is overheating please adapt driving style. i wasnt heavy driving or something. i had it twice once i was driving in the city in a hot weather and heavy traffic and the other one i was driving in a long distance.

i noticed hearing the fan is on after turning off the engine even if i wasnt going for a long drive. the coolant water is fine.

i didnt know what made the gearbox to overheat. i dont know what is the coolant circle for it and how it works to check it out
Old 07-12-2022, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

I guess the first question is whether you have ever had the transmission fluid replaced in the gearbox and even if you have is it up to the right level? As far as I know there Is no water cooling circuit for the gearbox
Old 07-14-2022, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the car have a a traditional automatic transmission or a dual clutch transmission? A dual clutch transmission can overheat in heavy stop-and-go traffic if you are creeping along at ~5mph because at that speed the wet clutch packs are constantly slipping . They fully engage at about 7-10mph. If you have a traditional automatic I would , as previously mentioned, have the fluid level checked. If it is a manual transmission, it should not overheat.

Driving with a dual clutch trans in a situation where there is a traffic jam and you ae crawling slowly, one should drive like you have a manual transmission. Move forward in 2-40 foot steps and stop rather than creeping along at ~2mph. This will minimize clutch slipping and the resultant buildup of heat.

I have a VW with such a transmission and the owner's manual indicates this can happen with a recommendation to stop the car and let the transmission cool down. It has not happened to me as I have been aware of this potential situation with such a transmission.

My 2016 Audi 2.0T has a a traditional automatic and is not susceptible to such overheating. The newer models all have dual clutch transmissions.

Last edited by Fahrer; 07-14-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Amin, what year is your A6? If you have the DSG, read Fahrer's post. If you have the 8-speed tiptronic, then you have some checking to do. I don't know about the pre-facelift models, but the facelift A6 has the transmission linked with the cooling circuit. If it overheats, it could be anything from a clogged transmission cooler, to a bad transmission cooling valve. If you have access to a VAG scanner, that will assist us in helping your issue.

Cheers!