Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S' on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
Update, i got the 4S on my car and they are fantastic tires. Surprisingly ride is smoother than the oem pirelli's on my 20". They turn and grip like crazy. I think i can push them harder than the car and the seat can handle!

Best summer tire i have used so far.
Awesome to hear. They're on my short list when it comes time to nix the OEM Pirelli's!

Last edited by DanfZX14; 07-10-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a dedicated set of winter tires and my OEM Continentals will be done by end of fall. Going to need a set of dedicated summer tires so good to hear about Michelins. Now just need to wait for a great deal and grab 4.

Something all my C7 compadres should be alert to (off topic I know but worth mentioning). Apparently the 3.0T engine has some issues with upper timing chain tensioners going bad. This is the subject of an Audi TSB that you can search up on the net -- includes up to MY 2015 cars w/ 3.0T engines. My car is now just about 3 years old and used sparingly --27,000 miles. I have a commute buggy that I use during the week given the sorry state of our roads here and the A6 can sit for anywhere between 4 and 7 days at a time. I noticed a couple of months ago that on start up for first couple seconds, no more, sounded like a machine gun and then settled into normal idle noise. I didn't think much about it until it did it again and then again. Today dealer confirmed upper timing chain tensioners going to be replaced with upgraded part (apparently original parts were missing a check valve so the oil in there keeping the chain tensioned would return to crankcase and tensioner was not doing its job properly for first couple seconds -- new part has the check valve per dealer). At first I thought this was minor and per the Audi TSB would "do no damage" but neither lead tech at dealer nor my 25 year master Honda/Acura tech who is one only two people I let touch my NSX saw it that way. They both said that the chain rattling around in there would likely in short order do damage and best to replace the tensioners. I'm very unhappy to have this problem in what is supposed to be a superior German luxury sedan (Vorsprung durch Technik) and not enthused about my engine being opened up at 27K miles. However I'm glad dealer and Audi are stepping up here and the lead tech at dealer told me he's done a few of these and while not exactly simple not rocket science. Hopefully this will go smoothly and I can then go with my plan to keep the car until about the 6 year/65-70,000 mile mark. I can live without worrying about a ticking time bomb buried deep within the engine. Keeping my fingers crossed that job done correctly and doesn't create any other issues. Ugh.

Best,
Jeff
Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ran over something....

I am on my second set of 4s' and will not go to another tire. Recently I did a 'high speed run' and as soon as I let off the throttle, the low tire pressure light came on. Within a mile or so the left rear was flat. Inspecting it found it was cut deep. Just glad it did not fail at speed.
With the certificates from America's tire, the replacement was $43.50 Just under 3k miles, enough tread left to not have to replace all four.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Update, i got the 4S on my car and they are fantastic tires. Surprisingly ride is smoother than the oem pirelli's on my 20". They turn and grip like crazy. I think i can push them harder than the car and the seat can handle!

Best summer tire i have used so far.
Huge plus 1. They are great tires!
Old 07-09-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
I have a dedicated set of winter tires and my OEM Continentals will be done by end of fall. Going to need a set of dedicated summer tires so good to hear about Michelins. Now just need to wait for a great deal and grab 4.

Something all my C7 compadres should be alert to (off topic I know but worth mentioning). Apparently the 3.0T engine has some issues with upper timing chain tensioners going bad. This is the subject of an Audi TSB that you can search up on the net -- includes up to MY 2015 cars w/ 3.0T engines. My car is now just about 3 years old and used sparingly --27,000 miles. I have a commute buggy that I use during the week given the sorry state of our roads here and the A6 can sit for anywhere between 4 and 7 days at a time. I noticed a couple of months ago that on start up for first couple seconds, no more, sounded like a machine gun and then settled into normal idle noise. I didn't think much about it until it did it again and then again. Today dealer confirmed upper timing chain tensioners going to be replaced with upgraded part (apparently original parts were missing a check valve so the oil in there keeping the chain tensioned would return to crankcase and tensioner was not doing its job properly for first couple seconds -- new part has the check valve per dealer). At first I thought this was minor and per the Audi TSB would "do no damage" but neither lead tech at dealer nor my 25 year master Honda/Acura tech who is one only two people I let touch my NSX saw it that way. They both said that the chain rattling around in there would likely in short order do damage and best to replace the tensioners. I'm very unhappy to have this problem in what is supposed to be a superior German luxury sedan (Vorsprung durch Technik) and not enthused about my engine being opened up at 27K miles. However I'm glad dealer and Audi are stepping up here and the lead tech at dealer told me he's done a few of these and while not exactly simple not rocket science. Hopefully this will go smoothly and I can then go with my plan to keep the car until about the 6 year/65-70,000 mile mark. I can live without worrying about a ticking time bomb buried deep within the engine. Keeping my fingers crossed that job done correctly and doesn't create any other issues. Ugh.

Best,
Jeff
In US probably better pricing, in canada Michelin had the $70 rebate for 4 tires which i promptly jumped on. Cost me about $1950 w taxes.

My indy mentioned about the tensioner a while back, i have a slight noise so far. Lets see when it gets worse what will happen. I am at about 45k miles currently, mostly hwy.

P.S Also recently did my brakes and put akebonos, 1k+ on tires and brakes, practically ZERO brake dust, wheels look brand new.

Last edited by porksoda; 07-09-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In US probably better pricing, in canada Michelin had the $70 rebate for 4 tires which i promptly jumped on. Cost me about $1950 w taxes.

My indy mentioned about the tensioner a while back, i have a slight noise so far. Lets see when it gets worse what will happen. I am at about 45k miles currently, mostly hwy.

P.S Also recently did my brakes and put akebonos, 1k+ on tires and brakes, practically ZERO brake dust, wheels look brand new.
If you are still under warranty might make some sense to address the timing chain tensioner issue. The TSB minimizes the seriousness per my trusted advisors. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car. Those who lease just don't care. I want peace of mind that not going to have post-warranty issues related to the chain. I just can't believe that a chain slapping around making the machine gun noise that it does, even if for only 2-3 seconds, isn't doing damage. Just my 2 cents.

Best,
Jeff
Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you are still under warranty might make some sense to address the timing chain tensioner issue. The TSB minimizes the seriousness per my trusted advisors. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car. Those who lease just don't care. I want peace of mind that not going to have post-warranty issues related to the chain. I just can't believe that a chain slapping around making the machine gun noise that it does, even if for only 2-3 seconds, isn't doing damage. Just my 2 cents.

Best,
Jeff
If I am not hearing the noise should I be concerned then? My car has the same mileage as yours.

Last edited by DanfZX14; 07-10-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
If I am not hearing the noise should I be concerned then? My car has the same mileage as yours.
Dan, I don't have the noise at all unless car sits in garage for 5+ days. The issue apparently is that the timing chain tensioners involved (and here sorry for the rather untechnical way I'm expressing myself -- others on this board can probably say it in technically correct language) keep pressure on the chain by way of being oil filled but if you leave car sit long enough the oil in the tensioner drains back to the sump and tension on the chain is reduced, hence the noise for a few seconds until oil pressure builds and tensioner again engages against the chain properly. The SA and tech I spoke with told me the upgraded tensioner has a check valve to prevent the oil draining out.

Since I have the old TL and use it for commute purposes the A6 can and does sit sometimes for 5+ days without being used. If I drive the A6 every day or even every second/third day, no noise on start up. Try leaving your car sit for a week in the garage and see if you get the noise on start up. If you do you then have to make a decision as to whether you raise this with dealer or not. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car. The Audi TSB says no damage will occur as a result of the noise -- I'm not so sure about that and neither the dealer SA, the Audi tech nor my trusted Acura tech agreed with Audi's assessment. Although I am not in the A6 for more than 6 years/70,000 miles I don't want to worry about a ticking time bomb in the engine and am going to go forward and let the dealer install the upgraded part. A search of the web indicates that this is a long standing Audi issue. Kind of disappointing.

At a minimum, I'd let car sit and then film start up with your smart phone. If no noise that is great. If you have the noise I suggest that at the very least you inform dealer, show them the video clip and perhaps let it sit on their lot for a week and then show up and fire it up so their tech can hear it. In this manner you will have some record that the issue was pointed out to dealer so that if post-warranty expiration this item creates bigger issues you have some basis to maintain that Audi should bear the cost of the repair. That was really my objective in calling this to the attention of the dealer. They heard it and immediately said it was the upper timing chain tensioners and indicated they would replace with upgraded parts so I'm going to go ahead with that. Who knows, if car is great from hereon in maybe I'll keep it longer than planned.

Best,
Jeff
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dan, I don't have the noise at all unless car sits in garage for 5+ days. The issue apparently is that the timing chain tensioners involved (and here sorry for the rather untechnical way I'm expressing myself -- others on this board can probably say it in technically correct language) keep pressure on the chain by way of being oil filled but if you leave car sit long enough the oil in the tensioner drains back to the sump and tension on the chain is reduced, hence the noise for a few seconds until oil pressure builds and tensioner again engages against the chain properly. The SA and tech I spoke with told me the upgraded tensioner has a check valve to prevent the oil draining out.

Since I have the old TL and use it for commute purposes the A6 can and does sit sometimes for 5+ days without being used. If I drive the A6 every day or even every second/third day, no noise on start up. Try leaving your car sit for a week in the garage and see if you get the noise on start up. If you do you then have to make a decision as to whether you raise this with dealer or not. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car. The Audi TSB says no damage will occur as a result of the noise -- I'm not so sure about that and neither the dealer SA, the Audi tech nor my trusted Acura tech agreed with Audi's assessment. Although I am not in the A6 for more than 6 years/70,000 miles I don't want to worry about a ticking time bomb in the engine and am going to go forward and let the dealer install the upgraded part. A search of the web indicates that this is a long standing Audi issue. Kind of disappointing.

At a minimum, I'd let car sit and then film start up with your smart phone. If no noise that is great. If you have the noise I suggest that at the very least you inform dealer, show them the video clip and perhaps let it sit on their lot for a week and then show up and fire it up so their tech can hear it. In this manner you will have some record that the issue was pointed out to dealer so that if post-warranty expiration this item creates bigger issues you have some basis to maintain that Audi should bear the cost of the repair. That was really my objective in calling this to the attention of the dealer. They heard it and immediately said it was the upper timing chain tensioners and indicated they would replace with upgraded parts so I'm going to go ahead with that. Who knows, if car is great from hereon in maybe I'll keep it longer than planned.

Best,
Jeff
Mine sat for almost that long last week and I didn't notice any noise. However, now I will pay much closer attention and if I do hear it I will video it as you described. Thanks for the response and the suggestion!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Mine sat for almost that long last week and I didn't notice any noise. However, now I will pay much closer attention and if I do hear it I will video it as you described. Thanks for the response and the suggestion!
Dan very glad to hear your car seems not to be afflicted. That is any day preferable to having the engine opened up at 27,000 miles! Just keep tabs on this and hopefully you never hear it.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S' on the way...