Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

MMI display replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:06 AM
DDM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MMI display replacement

The LCD screen on my MMI display got damaged and the image is garbled so I need to replace the display. Need suggestions for sourcing a replacement display, short of buying it from a dealer. Also wondering how to identify the correct part number...call a dealer and give them my VIN?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 08-13-2018, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

8" screen - 4G0919607H

6.5" screen - 4G0919607J
Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 AM
DDM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks xanmato, very helpful!
Old 08-18-2018, 01:18 PM
DDM
AudiWorld Member

Follow up questions. The OEM screen in my car is a 6.5 inch screen but I found an 8 inch screen complete with mechanism at a local scrap yard for considerably cheaper than I can get a new 6.5 screen alone (no mechanism). Are the 6.5 and 8 inch screens interchangeable or no? Also read some posts speculating that the replacement screen has to be coded to the car. Anyone know if that's actually the case?
Old 08-25-2018, 05:41 AM
DDM
AudiWorld Member

Bump...anyone know if the 6.5 and 8 inch screens are interchangeable, or if coding is required? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

From what I have read they are not interchangeable, bad things happen when you try.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 AM
DDM
AudiWorld Member

Finally replaced my MMI display screen and I can confirm that the new display screen did not require any coding. This is the 6.5 inch display, part # 4G0919607J.

I used this YouTube video for guidance:

It's not necessary to remove the climate and audio modules as was done in the video. I did remove the wood dash trim, but realized that wasn't necessary, either. The only parts that need to be removed are the trim around the MMI display, and the AC vents. Basically, just start at about 3:50 in the video. Also, I only unplugged the wire on the left side of the AC vent panel that connects to the trip odometer reset button and the MMI display open/close button.

The video doesn't show it, but to get the display all the way out, the wires connected to the display and the rotation mechanism have to be removed. Once the mechanism is out of the car, you remove the hinge pin (not sure if that's the "official" name) that attaches to the display arm. The pin is metal but there's a plastic retaining sleeve that holds it in place. I drove it out (and back in when reassembling) with a small brass hammer. The display will then slide right out of the mechanism once the hinge pin is removed.

When reinstalling the display/mechanism assembly, be sure to check function before replacing all the trim. There is some play in the positioning of the mechanism and I apparently put mine back in too high and it would bind when opening/closing. I loosened the bolts and let it drop down a bit and it was then fine.

I checked codes afterwards using Carista and got the following faults:

00630 - A/C Switched on
00920 - Heated Outside Mirrors
02259 - Information Display fault and Control Head
02855 - Sensor range Area for Control Module 1 Blocked
03787 - Rotation Mechanism for Display Module Front

I think 02259 and 03787 were due to unplugging the display. Not sure why the others were thrown, but cleared everything and none have come back so maybe they were also due to unplugging stuff. Anyone know?

Xanmato, thanks again for the help!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end is it possible to replace the 6.5 inch with the 8 inch display?

thanks!
Originally Posted by DDM
Finally replaced my MMI display screen and I can confirm that the new display screen did not require any coding. This is the 6.5 inch display, part # 4G0919607J.

I used this YouTube video for guidance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n742dCnmVIc

It's not necessary to remove the climate and audio modules as was done in the video. I did remove the wood dash trim, but realized that wasn't necessary, either. The only parts that need to be removed are the trim around the MMI display, and the AC vents. Basically, just start at about 3:50 in the video. Also, I only unplugged the wire on the left side of the AC vent panel that connects to the trip odometer reset button and the MMI display open/close button.

The video doesn't show it, but to get the display all the way out, the wires connected to the display and the rotation mechanism have to be removed. Once the mechanism is out of the car, you remove the hinge pin (not sure if that's the "official" name) that attaches to the display arm. The pin is metal but there's a plastic retaining sleeve that holds it in place. I drove it out (and back in when reassembling) with a small brass hammer. The display will then slide right out of the mechanism once the hinge pin is removed.

When reinstalling the display/mechanism assembly, be sure to check function before replacing all the trim. There is some play in the positioning of the mechanism and I apparently put mine back in too high and it would bind when opening/closing. I loosened the bolts and let it drop down a bit and it was then fine.

I checked codes afterwards using Carista and got the following faults:

00630 - A/C Switched on
00920 - Heated Outside Mirrors
02259 - Information Display fault and Control Head
02855 - Sensor range Area for Control Module 1 Blocked
03787 - Rotation Mechanism for Display Module Front

I think 02259 and 03787 were due to unplugging the display. Not sure why the others were thrown, but cleared everything and none have come back so maybe they were also due to unplugging stuff. Anyone know?

Xanmato, thanks again for the help!
Old 05-03-2019, 05:24 AM
DDM
AudiWorld Member

I pondered using an 8 inch screen after finding one at a local salvage yard for cheap (relatively) but Xanmato had read they aren't interchangeable so I abandoned that and went with a new factory 6.5.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have this problem !

[QUOTE=DDM;25214296]Finally replaced my MMI display screen and I can confirm that the new display screen did not require any coding. This is the 6.5 inch display, part # 4G0919607J.

I need the same serial where did you get yours mate ?

Quick Reply: MMI display replacement