Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Motion sensor trunk release

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Anyone happen to know what Audi officially calls this? Went poking around with VCDS today to see if it was simply something that was disabled on my late-'13 build. The most likely thing I saw was for the "Rear Lid/Tailgate Sensor Installed" under 46-Central Conv>Coding>Long Coding Helper>Byte 8>Bit 2; it was unchecked (inactive) on my car. Checked it, but got an error saying "Coding Rejected: Request Out of Range" when I tried to enable it.
I'm guessing that was it but could be there's no sensor present in your car. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was told the factory stopped activating the feature in the 2013's after the first batch and maybe the sensor also was not installed after that until the 2014s were built.
Or it could be it's coding for non-U.S. C7s with the power trunk lid option or Ross-Tech has the long coding helper wrong.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm guessing that was it but could be there's no sensor present in your car. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was told the factory stopped activating the feature in the 2013's after the first batch and maybe the sensor also was not installed after that until the 2014s were built.
Or it could be it's coding for non-U.S. C7s with the power trunk lid option or Ross-Tech has the long coding helper wrong.
I'll check it tomorrow when I get to my parents place in FL and see if it works on mine. I have an early build (06/12), so the sensor should be there. I'd do it now, but I'm in a hotel and it would look weird to be sitting in the car with my laptop.

What was your build date snagit?

Last edited by Mike_L; 12-22-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Banned

Just got around to trying it. Same result as above.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike_L
What was your build date snagit?
Week of 5/25/12. Mine was on the very first shipment of 2013 A6s to arrive in a U.S. port and took delivery on 7/2/12, the day it arrived at the dealer. Since my dealer is only one hour from the Davisville, RI port (the closest Audi U.S. disembarkation point to Germany), I might have been the very first in the U.S. to receive a 2013.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys rock. I always liked this feature on BMW and didn't think my 2014 A6 Prestige had it. After reading this thread I went out to the garage at 4am and after about 10 tries got it to work. Once you know where the sensor is, and the motion, it works pretty well.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Perhaps if Audi had painted a big red arrow on the rear bumper....
Old 12-23-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

(first post)

When I took possession of my US 2014 A6 Prestige TDI on Dec. 5, 2013 the salesman explicitly told me that the A8 had the trunk opener feature but the A6 did not. Then I read this thread and tried it. My A6 is covered with North Idaho mud and it took 3 tries and a hokey pokey but it worked!

I wanted this feature so I just love this forum! Thanks to all of you.

I just can't wait to do the hokey pokey in a parking lot. Seriously, I doubt the feature will work very often here. We live 0.6Km up a gravel road and the even the main roads are muddy. If that bothers the sensors we are fried.

Bruce

2014 A6 Prestige TDI
Innovation
Driver Assistance
Ice Silver Metallic
Velvet Biege
Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Banned

Be careful with all that mud. It could end up blocking your parking and blind spot sensors and you'll get false readings.

The A6 doesn't have the trunk closer button like the S6, A7, and A8.

Originally Posted by AudioBear
(first post)

When I took possession of my US 2014 A6 Prestige TDI on Dec. 5, 2013 the salesman explicitly told me that the A8 had the trunk opener feature but the A6 did not. Then I read this thread and tried it. My A6 is covered with North Idaho mud and it took 3 tries and a hokey pokey but it worked!

I wanted this feature so I just love this forum! Thanks to all of you.

I just can't wait to do the hokey pokey in a parking lot. Seriously, I doubt the feature will work very often here. We live 0.6Km up a gravel road and the even the main roads are muddy. If that bothers the sensors we are fried.

Bruce

2014 A6 Prestige TDI
Innovation
Driver Assistance
Ice Silver Metallic
Velvet Biege
Old 12-24-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NightCrawler
I always liked this feature on BMW and didn't think my 2014 A6 Prestige had it.
I hope I don't have to turn in my car-guy card to admit this, but I too am hoping my car will come with this feature... After way too many times walking up to the car with a double-armload of equipment, or camping gear, or ski gear, or some other crap and having to do the balancing dancing pocket reach for the trunk remote, I would REALLY like to have this option!

Is there any commonality in those who do have the trunk opener hokey-pokey sensor? I.e. is it now coming with one particular package or do we think it's part of the '14 base equipment buildout?

P.S. Perhaps a mod could move the headlight washer posts into a more appropriate thread? I'm *also* very interested in that topic, but these seem intermixed here.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon

P.S. Perhaps a mod could move the headlight washer posts into a more appropriate thread? I'm *also* very interested in that topic, but these seem intermixed here.
Done. Go here for the headlight washer thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2839834

Quick Reply: Motion sensor trunk release