Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New member, idle issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New member, idle issue?

Well hello! I've poked my head around here a few times but finally got myself an A6.

Its a 2014 prestige with I believe every single option available. Night vision, black optic, sport, cold weather, driver assistance, innovation..I still don't know half of what the car does.

That being said, my previous car was a 2012 Acura TL AWD Advance (3.7L). One of the things I noticed about this A6 was that the idle wasn't completely smooth. Its not like muscle car rough, but its almost like you can feel an off and on bass from the car next to you. Salesman told me that Audi's don't run completely smooth and because of the supercharged engine, you'll feel a little bit. I've searched around and found some info on possible misfiring but the car isn't throwing any codes. I sat in a 2013 premium plus and it had a similar idle. Is this just a "Audi" thing? Car has 29K on it.

Here's the first pic
Attached Thumbnails New member, idle issue?-img_8509.jpg.jpeg  

Last edited by kevrhof; 09-28-2016 at 10:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kswis-A6Q (01-16-2024)
Old 09-28-2016, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I have not experienced what you are describing with my car nor have I heard "that Audi's don't run completely smooth and because of the supercharged engine" before now.

BTW nice car & congrats!!!!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its definitely not like an idle if you're sitting in a truck. Its just more than I'd expect from an Audi, especially because I didn't feel an idle in my Acura, but now since you say you don't feel anything..
Old 09-28-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a Q5 3.0t service loaner for a couple of weeks and it had a very minor but noticeable amount of shake at idle. But I will say it didn't idle much either. Start/stop was much more aggressive than it is in my A8. I know it's not an A6 but it is the same motor.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Try using some tankfuls of premium Top Tier fuel for awhile and see if that helps. I've been using Shell V-Power since 2012 and my idle is very smooth. Top Tier can actually remove some deposits which could be contributing to the rough idle.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is true, I'm still on the first tank of gas, who knows what they put in.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was unimpressed that the dealership basically said that if the car wasn't throwing a code nothing was wrong / could be done
Old 09-28-2016, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rough/shaky idle during all 35k miles I had the 14 A6 3.0 and also my brand new S6 shakes a by at idle. I'm probably more sensitive to it (I hear rattles/squeaks nobody else hears too). Doesn't bother me most of the time but I feel it often. Always use top tier premium but highest in CA is 91 so maybe with higher octane it will completly go away. Now that I think of it, the pre last car had it too it was a V8 Chevy truck. And now that I think of it again, all these cars burned oil, not a lot, around 1qt/8k miles (not sure yet about the S6 as its too soon to tell)... maybe I'm on to something here... but more likely not
Old 09-29-2016, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My take on things is that all Audi’s with longitudinally (front/rear) oriented engines do transmit more vibration to the cabin and steering wheel than do their models with transverse (side to side) engines as in the A3 and TT. This applies to other autos with transversely mounted engines, which I believe Acura’s have.
Going back to the earliest years I was interested in cars (the 1950’s) most cars in the US had longitudinally mounted engines. At some point in the 1970’s manufacturers (largely Japanese at first) started producing more compact FWD drivetrains that included the engine being transversely mounted. The rationale for this “new” transverse orientation was said to include: lower weight, smaller packaging and less vibration being transmitted to the cabin. To this day I am surprised when I get into a rental or a relative’s car with a transversely mounted engine (my brother’s Honda Fit recently) and they seem to idle more smoothly than any A6 I have owned (including both I-4’s and V-6’s).
What I recall reading all those years ago is that any engine’s twisting/torqueing at idle can be better absorbed when this force is being resisted/absorbed by the length and mass of the vehicle (typically 160 to 200+ inches in length) as in a transverse layout. These forces in a longitudinally mounted engine layout have only the narrower width of the car (typically 65 to 82 inches) and lower mass to absorb them.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not to start a sh storm but techron or BG 44k may help. helped me after I bought mine used.

Quick Reply: New member, idle issue?