Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Night Vision Assistant

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a clear indication of how well the NV works to detect animals. The other night while driving over a mountain pass, I spotted a bright white dot on the NV display--turns out it was well beyond my headlights. When I got close I could see it was a dead squirrel someone had recently run over.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I could see it was a dead squirrel someone had recently run over.
Dang, if the salesman had only mentioned the DSD* I would have bought in an instant!!!!

*Dead Squirrel Detection
Old 07-03-2014, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
*Dead Squirrel Detection
Makes a nice road kill stew. "From your grill to ours..."

"Audi Night Vision - the brighter the light, the fresher the meat."

yes I know I'm sick
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
I think you misunderstood the text of mine you quoted - I'm not opposed to have NV in the IC as much as I am opposed to buying a HUD to get NV and then having to look in the IC. "given that AoA bundles it with HUD, if the display appeared in the HUD I might have been more positive on it" and "if I could have bought just NV knowing that it didn't appear in the HUD I might have done that".
Oh sorry, I did misunderstand. It's funny because the only reason I got the Night Vision is I came from a BMW with a HUD and considered seeing the speed limit on the HUD to be a must-have feature (so I don't have to waste the entire instrument cluster display for a digital speedometer)

I thought NV would just be an expensive gimmick that comes with it (and was able to use the fact that I didn't "want" NV and B&O audio as a way to talk down the price a bit), but NV actually has turned out to be a very useful feature.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coachsnacs
Where I have found the night vision most useful is during heavy fog or heavy rain. It will allow you to see what's coming at you in the other lane as well as what's directly in front in your lane.
Agree totally. If you've ever driven on an interstate highway in heavy fog (day or night) you'll appreciate the NV. Or a snowstorm. I also find it useful driving down neighborhood streets in the summer evenings with lots of kids running around.

As for HUD, I would not have bought the C7 without it. I wanted to future proof my last car purchase, and after renting a camaro at Hertz with HUD on a business trip couldn't even think about buying a $65K car without it.

For me the HUD was the deal sealer. I do wish the speed limit was displayed on it in the US like Europe, but its just a quick glance over to the Nav screen.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Recently test drove 650 GC and HUD displays speed limit. It also shows street name and nicer intersection rendering when nav is on. I thought Audi HUD is top notch but competition has caught up.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Recently NV is acting on me. On occasions when NV is switched on, the pedestrian detection and warning tone are off (shown on top right hand corner of the IR image), even though I have both activated in the car menu at all times. Anyone has similar experience and what could cause it?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by qqq1970
Recently NV is acting on me. On occasions when NV is switched on, the pedestrian detection and warning tone are off (shown on top right hand corner of the IR image), even though I have both activated in the car menu at all times. Anyone has similar experience and what could cause it?
Have only seen this when the outside temp is high enough to prevent detection from working. System is disabled in that case.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The primary purpose I use NV for is at night to spot deer that might dart into the road...as others have said I wish the field of view with night vision was wider. Additionally, I wish it was integrated into the HUD so you did not have to look down at the center console to use it. The need to look at the center console takes away from what I enjoy so much about the heads up display, and requires you to take your eyes off the road briefly...the two technologies seem at odds with each other.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pedestrian warning in NV requires outside temperature to be 80F or less. Usefulness of the NV pedestrian warning depends on where you live. I live in Phoenix, AZ. With our outside temperatures normally exceeding 80 degrees nearly year round, pedestrian warning is essentially useless. NV scene still works, just no pedestrian warning.

Quick Reply: Night Vision Assistant