Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Noise after ignition off

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 12:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise after ignition off

Hello guys. This is my first Audi and I noticed a few things that are uniquely Audi. Like those 3 faint clicks noise from the rear of the car everytime you open any of the door(s) when the car is off.
I just started to notice a different noise, after I get the car in my garage and turn the ignition off, sort of like a bird chirping (at first i thought there was some noisy insect or animal stuck inside the engine bay!) Then when the faint humming goes out, this noise went out with it. I wonder what is this noise and whether i should be concerned.
I never heard this noise with my bmw or mercedes before, usually just a slight humming noise with those cars.

I made a video to document the noise, here it is:

Thanks guys!
​​​​​​

Last edited by powertech83; 11-06-2017 at 04:15 AM. Reason: edit
Old 11-06-2017, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe this is the car shutting down or starting up system components in order to save battery charge when it is shutdown, and to prime things when the car is unlocked. Check out this thread.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by santoku
I believe this is the car shutting down or starting up system components in order to save battery charge when it is shutdown, and to prime things when the car is unlocked. Check out this thread.
Oh yes I found that exact same thread for the clicking noise from the rear of the car. That's how I found out its normal for Audis to do that noise.
This one is different noise, only present right after I turn the engine off. The sound sort of like bird chirping or static electrical noise. Have you checked out linked youtube video?
I'm just wondering if this is normal too, so I don't have to travel to my dealer which is an hour away.
Thanks for the response
Old 11-06-2017, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm....what year and model is your car ? TDI or TFSI ? How long do those sounds last ? Do you get the same noise if the car is cold and has been off for several hours, you start it and run very briefly, and then shut off the ignition ? I am wondering if it could be the sound of hot parts contracting as they rapidly cool, particularly the catalytic converter, but I am not a mechanic by any means ! Here is a link and another that discusses that possibility.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My car is 2015 2.0 TFSI gasoline. I never really stay around in the garage after I arrived home, so I never really noticed this before. Just that I curbed my rim when squeezing out of a really tight space, so I was checking the damage at home when I notice the funny noise. It was raining too (not sure if this matters). I will try to do what you are suggesting see if the noise present when just turn on the car briefly, and will try to listen when i arrived home and not raining outside see if its any different.
When you turn the car off, there is a faint humming noise (probably a fan somewhere?) and goes away after a few minutes. This chirping noise also goes away together with that humming noise.
Thank you for the input, will report back with more info after I try to listen more. Hopefully its nothing and just some part cooling down.

Last edited by powertech83; 11-06-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-07-2017, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't answer the chirping noise but the humming noise you hear along with it I'm guessing is probably the 2.0's turbo after-run coolant pump.
This pump circulates coolant to cool down the turbocharger and runs for a few minutes after you turn off the engine.
The following users liked this post:
Mala McCollum (02-20-2021)
Old 11-12-2017, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by engleg
Can't answer the chirping noise but the humming noise you hear along with it I'm guessing is probably the 2.0's turbo after-run coolant pump.
This pump circulates coolant to cool down the turbocharger and runs for a few minutes after you turn off the engine.
Yes my other car also doing some faint noise after ignition off, so wasn't concerned at all about that. It's just I find the chirping was a little weird haha.

I am here to report the noise is gone for now. I hope it was nothing.
I tried turning on the car from cold and let it run for a while and turn it off, no chirping noise.
I drove the car today in the rain, and when I'm back home. I'm happy to report the chirping gone.

Thanks all for the replies, I appreciate it