Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Noise from front of car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:13 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from front of car...

Hello everyone.

Hope everyone is doing well and problem free with their cars! Today, my wife drove the car and suddenly she heard grinding sounds (city driving) which lasted for 5 minutes when the car is moving, but when she is stopped, the sound goes away. I drove the car several hours later and I heard a whining/high pitch noise on the front of the vehicle when I'm driving (25-40 mph speeds), which started low and then gradually increased intensity. When I stopped the car with the engine running, the noise went away and did not come back during the duration of that trip. I tried driving several times after that and I could not replicate the sound.

There are no warning lights on the dash. I also just had my 75k done. One thing that may be related/unrelated is in the MMI oil level, it was showing several days ago, but now it's showing the message how the car has to be turned off and the level will be available after several minutes

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Sorry I wasn't able to record the sound. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:10 AM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Some additional info, Wife just mentioned that prior to the incident, when she put the car on drive and pressed on the gas, the car wouldn't move. She restarted the car and everything worked. Then a few minutes later the sound started. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm...this doesn't sound promising. Seems it could be transmission related. Be wary of future symptoms and maybe visit a dealer; they might of heard of similar occurrences and have a better idea of the cause or issue.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

On the oil level not being shown - the car wont show you after it detects that the hood has been opened - I assume at your service that they did to do the oil. give it a few days and check it when you use the car and it will show up eventually.

On the tranny issue - hmmm - I would look into this as well - I was going to suggest a wheel bearing, but the issues that you experienced seem to point to the transmission. There are incidents that others have had here with a connector cable to the transmission that gets "fouled" with fluid and needs to be cleaned and sometimes replaced....but that's all I can come up with that may be it. sounds strange!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:56 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
Hmmm...this doesn't sound promising. Seems it could be transmission related. Be wary of future symptoms and maybe visit a dealer; they might of heard of similar occurrences and have a better idea of the cause or issue.
Thanks for the reply very bumpy. Do you think it was possibly it was just a one off and maybe transmission slipped or something? I will try to go to my indy mechanic to have it checked. They specialize in Audis. Drove the car again today and it drove normally, took several short trips.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:59 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Silver42
On the oil level not being shown - the car wont show you after it detects that the hood has been opened - I assume at your service that they did to do the oil. give it a few days and check it when you use the car and it will show up eventually.

On the tranny issue - hmmm - I would look into this as well - I was going to suggest a wheel bearing, but the issues that you experienced seem to point to the transmission. There are incidents that others have had here with a connector cable to the transmission that gets "fouled" with fluid and needs to be cleaned and sometimes replaced....but that's all I can come up with that may be it. sounds strange!
Thanks for the response. I did open the trunk to see if there was any visible chains or pulleys that were frayed or cut, that explains the MMI not showing the level. Would a connector cable like that cause that sound? As for a wheelbearing would it be consistent though? I drove the car today several times and it drove normally.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

A trip to the shop ASAP would be cheap insurance..
Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Just curious on a separate note, with transmission issues, would the sound/issue happen more often or consistent?

Drove the car again over the weekend, short trips, no highway miles, and car drove normally no sounds.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:20 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
A trip to the shop ASAP would be cheap insurance..
Thanks DanfZX14. I asked my indy mech if he can slot me in for tomorrow or what his advise is. Thanks
Old 02-17-2019, 10:37 AM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Just an update, I did go to my indy mechanic. They checked "everything" and found nothing. They said maybe something got stuck on the auxiliary fan. Not sure where this auxiliary fan. They did find some other issues which I will be posting as a different thread. So far the sound hasn't come back hopefully it was nothing, fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Noise from front of car...