Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Oil Extractor

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Oil Extractor

Just in case anyone is thinking about changing oil themselves (I change mine every 5k, I do every other one and the dealer does every other one), ECSTuning has the 6.5 liter Schwaben on sale for $49 right now. It is an excellent extractor, works very well and easy to use. You would have to take your oil out in two loads, since it has a capacity of about 6.8 quarts, but that is no big deal.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this oil on a website .
I wanna use it on 2.0 TFSI 252 HP
it’s worth it’s money?

Old 01-18-2024, 01:50 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by leahu
I found this oil on a website .
I wanna use it on 2.0 TFSI 252 HP
it’s worth it’s money?
That oil is meant for diesel engines.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VW 511.00 and 00.511: Oil developed for the specific requirements of high-performance gasoline engines from the Volkswagen Group, such as those that equip the Audi RS models: 2.0 TFSI, 2.5 TFSI, 4.0 TFSI. This type of oil is compatible for changing to extended-flexible tanks (in strict accordance with the manufacturer's requirements), as well as for equipping with a GPF particle filter.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

So when you use these things, you just suck the oil out through the top? I've seen these extractors but I always drain out the bottom to make sure that any heavy solids come out with the oil, you aren't going to get them out sucking through a straw from the top. Or am I misunderstanding how they are used? Do you still pull the drain plug in the end?
Old 01-20-2024, 07:50 AM
Club AutoUnion

No, you don't touch the drain plug. The idea is you never have to get under the car if you have a top mounted oil filter. You literally extract the oil out through the dipstick tube. This is how dealerships "drain" the oil. If you warm the engine before changing the oil any heavier elements that get past the filter shouldn't have had a chance to completely settle and are drawn out with the old oil. If you're uncomfortable with this concept you're free to continue with your current method of changing oil.
The following users liked this post:
UCLABB (01-21-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 08:13 AM
Banned

I am fully aware of dealerships desires to maintain and/or increase profit margins wherever possible. This tool allows them to charge the full labor rate for dropping the engine splash cover and removing the drain plug while doing it in much less time, very good for the dealership owners, however are they really doing this even for new vehicles with warranty? Does VAG actually endorse this procedure in any of their service documentation? Is it verified that the extractor tube can even reach the bottom of the sump/pan on all VAG engines? (I would strongly suspect that it does not, it certainly would not do anywhere near a full extraction on the dry sump designs???). I don't buy the "suspended solids" concept as this is only true for solids below a certain density. The rest will rapidly settle, and they will settle more quickly with warm/hot oil. What about vehicles with a magnetic drain plug, or vehicles that have early warning signs of chain guide issues (i.e. the little plastic bits in the bottom of the pan that you end up catching and observing in the drain pan screen) - This is all just ignored by dealerships nowadays? Or do they track how many extraction changes have been done, and do a full change/drain from the bottom every X changes?

I fully understand the benefit of the extraction systems for certain services, I'm just extremely skeptical regarding using them for regular oil changes for all of the reasons above. Maybe VAG endorses this procedure for specific engines and I just haven't noted it in the service documentation. It just seems like something that has moved into the mainstream service sector simply due to marketing by the companies that make the extractors, and results in a total lack of thoroughness as the service personnel are no longer actually doing the underbody/drivetrain inspection that comes with the small amount of extra time required to just lift and drain the car.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:36 AM
Club AutoUnion

Then by all means use the drain plug when you change your own oil. No one is telling you not to do that. Your car, your choice.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikeru
Then by all means use the drain plug when you change your own oil. No one is telling you not to do that. Your car, your choice.
You seem to have no concern for my very valid questions - Do you have the answers, or do you simply not care? Or are you a seller of oil extractors ;-)
Old 01-20-2024, 09:04 AM
Club AutoUnion

Haha you got me. I'm pushing extractors all across the globe.

I can't answer all your questions but I can use common sense and logic. I know that my dealership uses this method for oil changes, including those under warranty. I also know they put the car on a lift and do the inspections you talked about. Because all Audi dealerships I know of use this method I'm confident VAG endorses it. Although I can't speak to how it's documented since they don't share that with customers. As far as actually using the extractor, it doesn't take a high level of competency to make sure the tube is at the bottom. And if positioned properly, the solids you're concerned with would be the first thing extracted. You can also easily measure how much oil comes out. Most extractors are translucent so you can see how much oil is inside. The stock drain plug is not magnetic. If you have one I would suggest you continue changing oil the traditional way. And if you think you're getting all the oil out when you use the drain plug you are mistaken. Have you ever removed an oil pan after draining? There's always some oil left inside. And the solids you're concerned about are usually included in that left over oil.

You make good points about looking for early signs of problems. But there's nothing stopping you from examining the oil that is in the extractor. It's definitely possible to miss something that is too big to fit in the extraction tube. So this method is not perfect. You can always send used oil samples in for analysis. That's as good or better than a visual inspection. I think it's fine for new cars though. I've never used an extractor to change oil, but I'm interested in switching.

Quick Reply: Oil Extractor