Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Oli77's 2015 A6 maintenance thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oli77's 2015 A6 maintenance thread

Not too many of those on here and I thought it a good idea so I will use this space to describe the story of this recent vehicle purchased one week ago from CarMax. Did not buy their warranty.

Took it to Audi dealer and that was pretty useless (as others have mentioned). Paid for the PPI and was told the car was overfilled with oil, my tire pressures were too high, a few miscellaneous codes about locking the gas tank, the garage door opener and another minor software thing were pulled and cleared. The guy said it was in good shape, engine mounts and other bits were good and tight.

I can see there is a stain of oil down there in the pan. Not sure why, will investigate later if I can figure out were to put the jack stand on the darn thing!

59,500 miles 2015 Premium Plus.
Tires are new.
Brakes are new.
Replaced engine air filter with MAHLE LX 2607/2. You think I needed it?

Pic of it on first day of ownership.

Cleaned all door jams.

Cleaned engine bay

Cleaned exhaust tips

The journey begins. My impressions coming from a 2005 E46 ZSP (325i sport factory lowered), is that I love the smoothness of everything. Still do not find the steering wheel feeling to be heavy enough or providing feedback enough. Can I code some sense into that?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by OLI77; 06-23-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 885 Likes on 724 Posts

Enjoy the new ride. I look forward to reading about your adventures with it.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Took a page from the bimmer book.

1.0 Make pieces of wood (used hard red oak) to perfectly go into the jack pad area under the arrow (for those who have raised their car).

2.0 Raise the rear left side of the car as high as you need to clear the jack stand in the front.

3.0 Carefully lower the car onto the wood/ jack stand positioned in the left front jack pad area.

4.0 Now, raise rear right high enough to put the other jack stand + wood insert in the front right corner jack pad area.

5.0 Front is off the ground

Here is the Idea:

Why did I do all that?

So I could get under there and remove the middle panel under the engine in order to see what it looked like under there. Happy to report that it is dry certainly around the oil pan. Got a little bit of oil seeping above that, near the valve cover gasket possibly. Minimal oil leak if that. Very nice. Just was curious to see under there.

Pretty happy with this so far. Will take care of the outside and make it real clean for pics next weekend.

Last edited by OLI77; 06-24-2018 at 12:06 PM. Reason: precision
Old 06-25-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OLI77
Still do not find the steering wheel feeling to be heavy enough or providing feedback enough. Can I code some sense into that?
You mean outside of changing the setting in Drive Select?
Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Saadcee, yes. I am looking for more resistance at lower speeds. Right now, I can tell that around ~37-40 MPH, the steering gets a bit more heavy. I wish I could "code" that to happen at 20 MPH.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The A6 not having a central jack point under the engine bay is frustrating and frankly stupid.

In your example, does jacking the rear weld point gives you enough clearance to put the jack stand in the front to remove the wheel? Looks like the wheel is touching the ground after the car is lowered onto the jack stand.

I have used the front jack point to lift the car and put a jack stand on the rounded part of the A-arm. I don't have much trust putting a jack stand below the a-arm because it is rounded and seems unstable. I will try your method next time I change brakes.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OLI77
Not too many of those on here and I thought it a good idea so I will use this space to describe the story of this recent vehicle purchased one week ago from CarMax. Did not buy their warranty.

Cleaned exhaust tips

Thanks for reading.
What did you use to clean the tips? I've tried degreasers and the like and nothing works. I do not want to use abrasives.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well you are not gonna like it then cause I used steel wool and some sanding (wet) and then cutting compound a bunch of time to smooth things out. Finished it with more mild waxing until a finish glaze.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by culi
In your example, does jacking the rear weld point gives you enough clearance to put the jack stand in the front to remove the wheel? Looks like the wheel is touching the ground after the car is lowered onto the jack stand.
Yes it does. And you are right that on one side the wheel was touching. But not on the other. I just made a slightly larger piece of wood. I feel very good about this and it is an easy thing to build. Make sure you use a hard wood.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Going in to the dealer tomorrow to do have the Manufacturer Recall Number 19M1 done.

Quick Reply: Oli77's 2015 A6 maintenance thread