Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Ordered New A6 3.0 - Need opinion on color

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered New A6 3.0 - Need opinion on color

I'm new to the forum but have been browsing awhile while trying to decide on a new A6 - found lots of good info over here. I just ordered a Prestige 3.0, Tornado Gray with Black Optic, black interior, achat gray inlays, 19" sport package, with comfort seating (my lower back gets sore on long drives and I sat in an A7 with that massage function and I was sold). Man, I had a hard time deciding between the 20" and 19" wheels but I liked how the 19" rode vs. the 20", especially in below freezing weather. Also, the expected mileage on the 20" tires is dreadful and they also expose the wheel to more damage....but they do look so dang good! I guess the practical side won out on that choice.

Now, regarding the Tornado Gray, I've never really been a silver/gray car person and I kind of backed into the color. The Daytona Gray Pearl was my favorite color but it's only available on the Competition models and the S6. I love the Mythos Black too but I'm not one to be washing the car every week to keep that black looking so good. It basically came down to Tornado Gray and Moonlight Blue and TG came out on top because I figured Moonlight Blue would be hard to keep clean and would show every nick and scratch just like a black car. So, any opinions on Moonlight Blue vs. Tornado Gray. From the photos I've seen the Tornado Gray seems to change shades depending on the time of day and sun conditions, it seems to look better at dusk and in shady areas than in full sun (kind of like my wife's Q5 in Utopia Blue). Anyway, I have time to change the color so any input from owners of either color, or anyone else who has an opinion for that matter, would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Robert
Old 02-03-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rglaz
I figured Moonlight Blue would be hard to keep clean and would show every nick and scratch just like a black car. So, any opinions on Moonlight Blue vs. Tornado Gray.
It's a love hate relationship with the Moonlight Blue color for me. It's really one of the most beautiful colors I have ever seen and it too does change shades depending on the time of day and sun conditions. It can actually almost look black sometimes. However, as you stated it does show every nick and scratch, hence the hate part. Keeping a good coat of wax on it does go a long way in keeping it looking nice though. Not sure how much this helps but I think you picked a good combo with the Black Optics and no matter what I'm pretty sure your going to love your new car!

Last edited by DanfZX14; 02-04-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:49 AM
DDM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rglaz
Now, regarding the Tornado Gray, I've never really been a silver/gray car person and I kind of backed into the color. The Daytona Gray Pearl was my favorite color but it's only available on the Competition models and the S6. I love the Mythos Black too but I'm not one to be washing the car every week to keep that black looking so good. It basically came down to Tornado Gray and Moonlight Blue and TG came out on top because I figured Moonlight Blue would be hard to keep clean and would show every nick and scratch just like a black car. So, any opinions on Moonlight Blue vs. Tornado Gray.
Personal preference of course, but I think Moonlight Blue is prettier than Tornado Gray.

The Audi site shows Daytona Gray Pearl as an A6 Prestige option, fwiw. It's also darker than Tornado and will probably show dirt/scratches easier, but I like it better than Tornado as well.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Unfortunately the Audi "build" site is not correct on the Daytona Gray Pearl. I argued about that with the dealer but when ordering it's spelled out that it's only available on competition and S6 models. I later found out it's also spelled out here in the Audi Library. The color online doesn't do justice to how pretty is really is. I saw it on an S6 in the dealer and it was beautiful.

2018 Audi A6 Exterior colors | Audi A6 | Audi USA

I think I would definitely like the Moonlight Blue or Mythos Black better initially but long term I don't know. As Dabf mentioned I'm sure I'll be happy with either one. I need to cogitate on this a little more. Hmmm, I actually don't mind that Matador Red either....

Thanks,
Robert
Old 02-03-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The moonlight blue is good but it’s about as easy to keep clean as black. BTW black, white and grey, by definition, are not colors. They only have a luminanance component with no chrominance.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Custom color for my 2019 A6

I've chosen a custom color for the 2019 A6 I'll be ordering next year.

It's called Morning Dew Green Pearl Effect.

Here it is on an older Audi:

I'm still up in the air about the interior, light or dark.....

I've previously owned a 2014 A6 prestige, and really enjoyed the car. Currently driving a 2016 BMW 750. Nice, but too big.

HBH
Old 02-04-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
I've chosen a custom color for the 2019 A6 I'll be ordering next year.

It's called Morning Dew Green Pearl Effect.

Here it is on an older Audi:

I'm still up in the air about the interior, light or dark.....

I've previously owned a 2014 A6 prestige, and really enjoyed the car. Currently driving a 2016 BMW 750. Nice, but too big.

HBH
interesting color