Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

ordering rear brakes, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A6_Newbie
porksoda, thanks for your reply, the reposting of the codes and recommendation.

I have the 2EA for the rears (1LJ for the fronts but not planning on replacing those yet). I found two options from Zimmermman:

- Cross drilled rotors, 330mm $94/per
- Coated version, not drilled (the ones you referenced in your reply) $66/per

I'm most interested in overall better braking as the car is daily driver for my son and doesn't need track brakes so I'm thinking that the coated version is fine. I've dismissed the idea of a larger rotor as it requires a caliper change and I'm not interested in taking it that far.

Reading posts about redstuff, ceramic, etc... any recommendations for a solid pad?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Akebonos, been using them for ages and just put em on the C7 and its solid.

Brand: EURO ULTRA PREMIUM CERAMIC PAD
Part Number: EUR1549

Brand: EURO ULTRA PREMIUM CERAMIC PAD
Part Number: EUR1547A

I agree the crossdrilled mostly for looks, i got the solid zinc coated ones as well and changed fronts and back at the same time.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

porksoda,

Thanks again. ordering BoM now.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

porksoda,

job complete, pretty straight forward.

curious, what does the coating do? I noticed after I test drove around the block that the coating seems to come off.

Also, this might be common sense for everybody but me, but for those thinking of doing this job: there is a pad (or pads) in the set that have a notch in it for the sensor. I didn't think about that until I had mounted the ones with a notch on the passenger side. Start with the drivers side first and you won't have a problem
Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

porksoda,

job complete, pretty straight forward.

curious, what does the coating do? I noticed after I test drove around the block that the coating seems to come off.

Also, this might be common sense for everybody but me, but for those thinking of doing this job: there is a pad (or pads) in the set that have a notch in it for the sensor. I didn't think about that until I had mounted the ones with a notch on the passenger side. Start with the drivers side first and you won't have a problem
Coating is basically there to resist rust, they are fully coated so they won't look like something from a ship yard in the next year or two. I am extremely happy with the combo as i have ZERO brake dust and i drive pretty hard.

Also another good thing on the rotors is the bevel at the outer edge, if your brakes were worn out like mine, I had to pry the pads to remove them as the OEM rotors left a huge lip!!

Heh yeah sensor on driver side for both front and back!

Vagcom operation was easy to use (to retract the ebrake cable), I also found that the car going to sleep was ok for the vagcom operation between retracting and applying the ebrake.

cheers
Old 09-11-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

porksoda, thanks for your reply, the reposting of the codes and recommendation.

I have the 2EA for the rears (1LJ for the fronts but not planning on replacing those yet). I found two options from Zimmermman:

- Cross drilled rotors, 330mm $94/per
- Coated version, not drilled (the ones you referenced in your reply) $66/per

I'm most interested in overall better braking as the car is daily driver for my son and doesn't need track brakes so I'm thinking that the coated version is fine. I've dismissed the idea of a larger rotor as it requires a caliper change and I'm not interested in taking it that far.

Reading posts about redstuff, ceramic, etc... any recommendations for a solid pad?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
If you live in an area that uses road salt in the winter, and you drive the car in the winter, do not buy cross drilled rotors. Unless you plan to semi-religiously blow out the holes.

The black coating also has anti-squeal stuff in it.