Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Paint and leather Protector

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint and leather Protector

Just about ready to order car - one dealer told me it was a good idea to have this protector put on. I forgot exactly waht it is called - (Zilene - or something like that) - they said it was around $500 or $600 - have you all had this put on the car or have you done it yourself (or had another company put something similar on).

Thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clearcoat protects the paint, wax helps protect the clearcoat. It sounds like your dealer is trying to cut himself some profit.

I have no idea what kind of stuff you'd put on the paint, then put on leather. That sounds kinda scary. I haven't decided on leather treatment yet, I'm worried about what I usually use (Griot) plugging up the seat perforations, or getting inside the seat through the holes.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

The paint sealant and leather protector would be two different products.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had it thrown in by my dealer. It's a wax based protector for the paint that will protect from bird poop, tree sap, and other hard elements like sun and water marks. I guess you can compare the interior treatment to that of scotchguard. Really protects against spills. The one thing I do like about it is that the wax will eventually fade away but the dealer reapplies it every 6-8 or so. Can't recall exactly what the interval is. To me seems worth it. Even talked him into doing the wife's Lexus for $179. Try talking the dealer down a few hundred worth a try.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Paint protector is nothing but a warranty that the dealer sells to make more profit. I would not do it. If something happens your car insurance would pay for it.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Paint protector is nothing but a warranty that the dealer sells to make more profit. I would not do it. If something happens your car insurance would pay for it.
Yes...these are nothing but profit opportunities for dealers.

Just say no.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Palermo, dispite all the naysayers, I'd still recommend trying to talk your dealer down in price and getting it. We just got the wife's Lexus done today and it looks beautiful. Honestly looks better than when we purchased it last year. Being black you could definitely see all the swirls and imperfections, there were even some semi-deep scratches from my failing attempt trying to buff out some sap, and every little defect is now gone. Well worth the $179. So as the years go I'm sure that both our cars will accrue more swirls and knicks, and now I'm more assured I no longer have to worry about them becuase they will retreat the xzilon every year.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey - for $180, it may not be all that bad, but think of it as paying for the warranty, not the product. So, for $180 if you can get essentially a "detail" every year where they polish the swirls out (and do a good job of it) then yes, that's a great deal. However, if you think that for the $$$ you're getting some special paint "sealant" or protectant then you're kidding yourself. It's nothing more than a glorified wax. Be sure to read the fine print on any warranty offered.

If you want real paint protection, take that money and spend it on a clear bra.

I'm not a naysayer because I don't care about my paintwork (you should see my garage, I have well over $1000 in detailing products), these "protection" systems are nothing more than a profit center for dealerships.

Don't take my word for it, go over to autopia.org and similar detailing website and get a professional's opinion.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default better off with a clear bra

Honestly, its a better investment going with the Clear bra. Its a much better investment into your car's paint job and there are better warranties with it. Plus, its going to be able to resist more debris than what the dealer was pushing.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Get a clear bra. If you just want paint protection, check out products from Menzerna and/or Zaino. I like both of them, as they're polymer based, and give you a very nice shine. They will last you 2-3 months between applications.

Get a random orbital like the Porter Cable, a mild cutting agent and a glaze along with a polymer protection and do it yourself.

I have done this for the last 10 years at least and my vehicles are impeccable. I had a Lexus SC430 which had it's xenon lights stolen, and when CSI came to take fingerprints off my car, the powder would not stay on... literally would fall right off the vehicle, to the point the guy actually asked me what I wax my car with because he's never seen it before.

My .02 is save your money and get some nice quality detailing products...

Quick Reply: Paint and leather Protector