Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Question about the Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the Sport Package

Hello guys,
Everyone on this forum has always been helpful. I have a 2012 Premium Plus A6 with the 18 inch (they dont sell this one anymore) Sport Package (cost was 1500$). I have the paddle shifters.
My question is does having the Sport package change the suspension to a sport suspension?
The A6 is a great car but I feel sometimes the ride is too firm at times especially low speeds. I tried to go with the tire pressures around 38 front and 40 back.

Can other people here give me some suggestions on how to improve the ride quality?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric1
Hello guys,
Everyone on this forum has always been helpful. I have a 2012 Premium Plus A6 with the 18 inch (they dont sell this one anymore) Sport Package (cost was 1500$). I have the paddle shifters.
My question is does having the Sport package change the suspension to a sport suspension?
The A6 is a great car but I feel sometimes the ride is too firm at times especially low speeds. I tried to go with the tire pressures around 38 front and 40 back.

Can other people here give me some suggestions on how to improve the ride quality?
The sport packages do use stiffer suspension components. Your tire pressures seems high to me. You should start with the pressures as recommended in your manual which I'd bet are less than what you are using now for a normal load. FYI, the psi's listed on the door pillar are for a full load of passengers and luggage.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Your tire pressures seems high to me. You should start with the pressures as recommended in your manual
My manual lists 35/32 for normal loading for the 18" all season. I do have the sport package and, yes, it is somewhat stiff on certain types of roads. Nature of the beast.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
My manual lists 35/32 for normal loading for the 18" all season. I do have the sport package and, yes, it is somewhat stiff on certain types of roads. Nature of the beast.
Those are the same PSI's my manual lists for a normal load on 19" all seasons. The only time I go higher is when I have a full load of passengers or a heavy trunk load on a long trip. If I use the pillar label pressures recommended for full capacity with just me and my wife and some groceries, the ride is too harsh for New England roads.

Eric - try the 35 front/32 rear - I think you'll be much happier with the ride.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am currently using the psi listed on the B-pillar and love the ride. The dealer released the car with 32 psi all-around and it felt too sloppy. I know that the manual states lower psi for less than full load and even different front/back balance, but what's the downside of using the full load numbers (aside from ride harshness)? I understand the safety is compromised only if the tires are underinflated or way exceed the maximum psi. Any other risks?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
I am currently using the psi listed on the B-pillar and love the ride. The dealer released the car with 32 psi all-around and it felt too sloppy. I know that the manual states lower psi for less than full load and even different front/back balance, but what's the downside of using the full load numbers (aside from ride harshness)? I understand the safety is compromised only if the tires are underinflated or way exceed the maximum psi. Any other risks?
1. Stay a few PSI away from the tire max (consider hot days and aggressive driving).
2. You can get a good 5% better gas mileage by running near max psi.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If your roads are broken like here in New England, max pressure can provide an uncomfortable ride with high performance tires. Smooth roads won't be nearly as noticeable.
Keep in mind, over-inflation as well as under-inflation for the manf. recommended load conditions can result in uneven tread wear.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

My wheels are 18". I specifically avoided anything with lower profile rubber, given my prior experience with those. So, 18" tires pumped to PSI listed on B-pillar gives a decent ride.

I agree about exceeding the max pressure listed on the tire. That's a no-no. However, aside from that and harsher ride what's the risk of using the pressure listed for max loads, even though I am not running at max load. I'd think there's zero risk, otherwise they'd never put those numbers on the B-pillar (don't forget how many lawyers we have).
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
My wheels are 18". I specifically avoided anything with lower profile rubber, given my prior experience with those. So, 18" tires pumped to PSI listed on B-pillar gives a decent ride.

I agree about exceeding the max pressure listed on the tire. That's a no-no. However, aside from that and harsher ride what's the risk of using the pressure listed for max loads, even though I am not running at max load. I'd think there's zero risk, otherwise they'd never put those numbers on the B-pillar (don't forget how many lawyers we have).
Max tire pressure listed on the tire should not play into this at all - it will always exceed a car manf's recommended PSI numbers and indicates the tire's pressure ceiling for safety.

As for running at the Audi's max PSI listed on the pillar, it's not so much a risk issue but for handling and tire eveness of wear reasons. The Audi pillar PSI is for a full load of passengers and luggage (an added weight of 400-500 lbs or so over a driver and one passenger). When the car's load is maxed out, the tires are more compressed so a higher pressure is recommended by the manf. to compensate so the tire contact patch profile is optimized to the road. On a light load, the inverse is true so less pressure is called for per the manual for the same reason. (It would be clearer if both full and normal load PSI were listed in both on the pillar but I'm sure there's a regulation requirement at play).

It's really a matter of ensuring the tire patch to road contact will be optimized for all driving conditions including slippery or loose surfaces and that the tread will wear evenly, prolonging the tires' life. While not written in stone and many will choose not to follow them, there's valid reasons for the car manf. stating the two different PSI/load recommendations.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info to everyone. So if this car did not have a 18 inch Sport package'would it have a better ride quality?
Also if it did not have a Sport package, would you have the Dynamic/Sport mode on the Car screen (Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, Custom)

Quick Reply: Question about the Sport Package