Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Question for fdot, joseaudi or santos

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for fdot, joseaudi or santos

You guys seem to have the most info on VCDS and using it to modify the A6. I am considering jumping into this area, but have a specific question:

Can VCDS enable tethering of the MMI device?

A little background to explain:
When the A6 was announced last winter, Audi Connect (wasn't named yet) was described as being able to connect to your current smartphone to enable data through its existing connection. That sounds a lot like tethering. As details emerged, it became clear that the new A6 would have a built in 3G receiver and a SIM card would be necessary to connect. That opened the door for T-Mobile and the Audi Connect data fees.

I am wondering if this ability is still built into the MMI. I would assume that VCDS would have an option to enable this feature. If so, I would buy the HEX+CAM+USB dongle in a HEARTBEAT!!!

Could you guys do some poking around and check for me?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a vag com myself but have researched a lot of modifications. On this though I am lost
Old 10-27-2011, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by teddyoh
You guys seem to have the most info on VCDS and using it to modify the A6. I am considering jumping into this area, but have a specific question:

Can VCDS enable tethering of the MMI device?

A little background to explain:
When the A6 was announced last winter, Audi Connect (wasn't named yet) was described as being able to connect to your current smartphone to enable data through its existing connection. That sounds a lot like tethering. As details emerged, it became clear that the new A6 would have a built in 3G receiver and a SIM card would be necessary to connect. That opened the door for T-Mobile and the Audi Connect data fees.

I am wondering if this ability is still built into the MMI. I would assume that VCDS would have an option to enable this feature. If so, I would buy the HEX+CAM+USB dongle in a HEARTBEAT!!!

Could you guys do some poking around and check for me?
First I have to ask, which kind of phone do u have that let's u tether over Bluetooth. Mine doesn't. Only over wifi. I would imagine its a different software version in eu cars. But anything is possible. What I do is take the sim card out of my iPad and put it in my car.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fdot
First I have to ask, which kind of phone do u have that let's u tether over Bluetooth. Mine doesn't. Only over wifi. I would imagine its a different software version in eu cars. But anything is possible. What I do is take the sim card out of my iPad and put it in my car.
What I got out of the OP's post was that he would like to replace the SIM card functions with the phone. So the phone would effectively replace T-Mobile. I may have read that wrong though...
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I would like to use my AT&T unlimited data plan from my iPhone to connect to MMI and get data through my iPhone, not the T-Mobile SIM.

I'm sure that there is a software option to enable this. Early reviews from that Sicily press event stated that the users smartphones linked seamlessly with MMI allowing data to get to the car.