Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Ready for TDI Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidglt66
At just 93,000 miles finally had the dreaded "fix" done. They had it done in one day and the car so far is perfect, slightly higher idle when cold, but slower when hot, about 750 now warm used to be between 800 and 900. It does seem to hold a lower gear then before when cruising on flat ground at 50 it is often in 6th or 7th where before it always went right to 8th. If I manually in sport mode shift it goes to 8th and stays there on flat ground. Shifts are smooth, no hesitation in slow or fast starts. No smells, no odor, mileage on a 50 mile run was 39mpg at 75 mph with up and down hill so about the same as before. They even filled the fuel tank full without asking, everything was done just as outlined in the warranty booklet sent with the "diesel gate" documents. Glad to get my second $4350 payment!! This dealer even sent a video the tech shot of the multi point check showing on the video brake pad thickness, tire depth etc. Glad to be at this newer dealer in the KC area.
thank you daviddglt66 it very interesting to hear a success review on the fix. I would like to hear back in a few weeks any updates you would like to share too. My decision will be made shortly on April 20. My Audi dealer has been encouraging me to complete the “fix” and the service Mgr is a business friend . However I’m a son of a mechanic who use to always like to get more performance out of a vehicle. And my Q5 TDI meets all of that plus outstanding mileage, which is why I spent extra in 2013 for the diesel. I’m kind of like the saying leave well enough alone. IMO currently to be completely honest I really enjoyed jayhawk94 review since he made it 197000 miles on his un”fix” A7. Appreciate future updates, keep em coming pal.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 897 Likes on 734 Posts

I am currently scheduled to get both the first and second fix on April 6th. Based on the reviews of the second fix I am hopeful that it won’t be too bad. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kevin, so far totally painless and with a new DPF filter (due at 120,000 at a cost of over $1800) and the 4 year 48,000 warranty and the diesel gate payment (in my bank 48 hours after the service call) it is a huge win. Hope yours goes as well as mine did.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidglt66
Kevin, so far totally painless and with a new DPF filter (due at 120,000 at a cost of over $1800) and the 4 year 48,000 warranty and the diesel gate payment (in my bank 48 hours after the service call) it is a huge win. Hope yours goes as well as mine did.
Is the DPF filter change in the 2nd fix mandatory? They already changed mine due to a clog and a sensor malfunction several k miles back, I wonder if they would change it again......shady dealer. Now I have a steady CEL (engine malfunction) and brake light too.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

The DPF filter is listed as a mandatory replacement on the paperwork for the second recall including the new location of the 0 2 sensor etc. If they follow the recall requirements they will replace it.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I took my A6 in for both the fix and the fix-of-the-fix one week ago.
  • So far, as others have noted, the transmission shifts late in the first few gears - almost as if car is being held back by a trailer. I took videos of tach before the fixes, and after the fixes. Once I figure out how to edit (where are my kids when I need them?), I will try to post.
  • Once engine warm, not so bad. Have noted three episodes on highway when, for lack of better description, it felt like transmission stuttered/gave out over a fraction of a second. Sorry, no better way that I could describe. Perhaps a hiccup of sorts.
  • Haven't emptied the tank to give mileage report.
  • Have not noticed any hesitation from a standstill or acceleration.
Well, it's done now...only bonus is that the my warranty goes to 120,000 or June, 2024. (My mileage is low at 64K, so the 4 yr/48K alternative will not benefit me.) Oh, and I will keep a lookout for the remaining half of the bribe.

I'll keep updating....

Last edited by AMDG75; 03-11-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-12-2020, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 897 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks for the report.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Summary: Fix is fine.

In detail, here's what I've noticed:
1) When car is cold the transmission will hold 1500ish RPM and not downshift until it warms up.
2) The temp indicator comes up dramatically faster than previous, however, the RPM redline doesn't increase until about the same warmup time as before.
3) There is a section where I normally floor it. I think they neutered something on WOT as the engine does feel a bit more mellow.
4) Light throttle input (before turbo engages) has significantly more diesel clatter than before. The noise is almost exactly the same as my neighbors X5 diesel now.
5) I cannot really say much about fuel economy, but, on the stretch where I normally get 38mpg I got 36 yesterday, perhaps with the higher RPMs at cold, this may explain the difference.

So the obvious question is if the car performed this way when I first test drove it, would I have still purchased it? Yes, absolutely.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
That's great to hear. My car is getting the work done right now and I'll be interested to see what its like once I have it back. I dropped it off with the 50 miles of gas warning indicator lit up. Free fuel, you know?

How long did it take to get the second half of the settlement?
I had the settlement check in my bank account within 48 hours. 8 days since the fix and the most obvious thing is the diesel "clatter" at low rpms, Rest of the driving experience seems normal, car is in garage so very rarely really "cold" below 45 degrees so not so much rpm change on warmup for my situation.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
1) When car is cold the transmission will hold 1500ish RPM
3) ...I think they neutered something on WOT as the engine does feel a bit more mellow.
4) .... has significantly more diesel clatter than before.
5) I cannot really say much about fuel economy,
Minor update, reinforcing above:
1. transmission holds until ~ 2200 RPM (hopefully amateurish video attaches)
3. definitely neutered, but still does not Curb my enthusiasm as it is still "pretty, pretty, pretty good"
4. definitely noisier
5. still haven't gone through a full tank, but looks like I will go about 50 miles less on this tank. However, this is a one-off, and will check over the next few tanks.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3625 2.mov (2.02 MB, 26 views)

Last edited by AMDG75; 03-18-2020 at 05:45 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quick Reply: Ready for TDI Recall