Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Removing Front Plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing Front Plate

Hello,

I have searched all over the forum but maybe i am blind. I see that people have removed their front plates however in none of those posts do i see how they have actually done it. Is it as simple as removing the 4 screws on the bumper or is there something else to it. Right now if i remove the plate there is still almost like a plastic surround to show you where the plate should go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Austin
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not totally sure about the A6 but for the A4, ECS Tuning sold a front plate "filler" that would replace your factory plate holder with one that didn't have the outline. I did a quick search on the ECS web site and didn't find one for the A6 so I'm not sure if the same thing is possible (outside of replacing the entire front grille).
Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took my front plate of my A6 with a few screws. I think you may need a star type tool- looks like a phillips but it's not. Very simple- but you will have a couple screw holes visible in the grill once the plate is removed. You can fill the holes pretty easily and then use a black felt pen or a black touchup stick.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought in states that do not require front plates, Audi installs a completely different grill or filler panel. Like mine does not have any bracket or screw holes at all.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe the plate holder on the A6 is installed by the dealer.

Removing it leaves 4 small (1/16 inch?) holes. Barely noticable.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericgl
I believe the plate holder on the A6 is installed by the dealer.

Removing it leaves 4 small (1/16 inch?) holes. Barely noticable.
Mine had 2 additional holes. They looked pre-drilled, probably there for the Euro plates.

So mine had 6 holes.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manishaudi
Mine had 2 additional holes. They looked pre-drilled, probably there for the Euro plates.

So mine had 6 holes.
That is odd that you had 6 holes in yours. I changed my front grille to the Euro spec and it did not come with any holes drilled in it. Also, the Euro style has an integrated plate "frame". It is not removable, like on the US cars.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is actually an option if/when you order the car that you can have the no front plate option. My state is a front plate state, so I had to sign documentation indicating I would not hold the dealer liable as they are suppose to punch holes to install it. It should be an easy removal and to cover the holes I know other members have used black vinyl which sounds easy enough.

I thought about putting on a decorative euro plate of my acutal US plate my wife had made for me. I think that would be an invite to trouble more so than missing the entire plate.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NVThs1
There is actually an option if/when you order the car that you can have the no front plate option.
Yes, the C7 A6 (US spec) only comes with one type of grille. They add the front plate bracket to the grille by drilling holes. If you do not want (or need) the bracket then you can order it without it or (if your state requires a front plate like NVThs1) you can just simply ask them not to install.

There is no filler panel or different grille.

So as for the original poster, yes you can remove the bracket by removing the 4 screws holding it to the grill and then cover the holes however you like (i.e. vinyl or hole plugs).

Last edited by darcivic00si; 11-09-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darcivic00si
Yes, the C7 A6 (US spec) only comes with one type of grille. They add the front plate bracket to the grille by drilling holes. If you do not want (or need) the bracket then you can order it without it or (if your state requires a front plate like NVThs1) you can just simply ask them not to install.

There is no filler panel or different grille.

So as for the original poster, yes you can remove the bracket by removing the 4 screws holding it to the grill and then cover the holes however you like (i.e. vinyl or hole plugs).
Yeah thanks for everyones help. I decided to just go at it today and it is much easier then i was making it out to be. Done in about 10 minutes... Looks SOOO much better.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Removing Front Plate