Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Satellite Radio- Display Artist Name

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven

Maybe after awhile the Audi oil gauge will be as good. In the meantime, you can depend on your MMI guage and I'll continue to use my dipstick to see the actual amount (not to mention the ease if use when adding oil). See how easy that was? Now we both can be happy.
OK, we have solved it:

A dipstick with a gauge on the top of it but my radio still doesn't display the artists name, maybe the radio display is under the hood too😄

Last edited by DB22; 06-12-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There may be some confusion here in screen terminology. The Driver Information Screen (DIS) in the instrument cluster will only provide the satellite or AM/FM radio station name. The main screen is where the detailed info is available. With a mobile device selected, the DIS displays the song title only (at least in the MY2012-2015 C7 MMI) and depending on the music source (Bluetooth streaming or cabled portable device), the main screen will also have more info available.
Back to the original topic . . . I had a new MY17 Q7 as a service vehicle last week. It was pretty much a base model and did not have the virtual cockpit. The instrument cluster was pretty much exactly the same as the one on my MY16 S6, but the song and artist info did pop up in the center DIS. This was one of the disappointingly few changes I noticed in the new gen MMI.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Re the OP on displaying artist on MMI. It depends on the source and the method of selection etc. It isn't simple to explain the variations in a simple post. In my car, I don't think I can do what you seek, which (I think) is to see artist name (and tune...?) when viewing Sirius station/selection list. If I manually tune from line to line, it is displayed after a few and for a few seconds...then vanishes unless retuned. A glance/attention intensive process. Maybe there is a better way? (It is possible to 'tune' to a new sat channel via voice input if you recall the name of the channel...I often don't and struggle with 'Audi' or whatever her name is...again attention intense, so I will revert to manual tune...see above. Bring back the push buttons )

2) On the thread heisting dipsticks discussion...which loosely relates because of 'MMI' common theme.

Dipsticks are as near 100% reliable as possible. If it breaks, you know it.

I'm new to electronic oil gauges so for me the jury is out. I have no idea yet how reliable or accurate it is. I can report that for the first 4500 miles, my oil gauge read 100%. I was suspicious of that based on previous German new car oil consumption. I had no way to confirm this so just hoped the gauge worked as designed. (Of course also true of coolant, fuel, etc.)

Then I got 1st oil service. The next morning the gauge read about -25% from the top (there is no 'scale' BTW...it would be nice if there was...so run to the BIG user guide to see if I should care and/or add oil). Did my dealer save a dollar(?) or can't they check 'realtime' as every service center or backyard mechanic does when topping off/changing? Whatever...not a big deal but a detail and preference.

My vote is/was a factory option or as a 'delete' option. Perhaps the stick could be standard on S and RS cars and let others depend only on gauge...
Old 06-13-2016, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Or, if you want to add a dipstick, simply buy one. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal for some. You can have both methods of checking oil for under 30 bucks. Or not.