Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow tires

Have a brand new 2016 A6 Quattro, which I love already. I live in upstate NY (Albany area) , and have already been recommended by 2 people to get snow tires for this vehicle, even though it is already AWD. Any thoughts on the matter by anyone with more experience than I? Thanks
Old 12-06-2015, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The mulligan
Have a brand new 2016 A6 Quattro, which I love already. I live in upstate NY (Albany area) , and have already been recommended by 2 people to get snow tires for this vehicle, even though it is already AWD. Any thoughts on the matter by anyone with more experience than I? Thanks
They are absolutely correct. The traction is at the contact patch of the tire with the ground, regardless of how many wheels are powered. And, how many wheels are powered is of no consequence in the typical evasive maneuver of off-throttle braking and steering to avoid someone else who lost it on snow/ice. Suggest either Michelin XIcexi3 or Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. And, for winter, narrower is better
Old 12-06-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I live in PA and go with snow tires in the winter. In your area, I would absolutely do so.

As Sportstick noted, for winter narrower is better. I bought a second inexpensive set of wheels and run 18" in the winter, 19" the rest of the year. I have the Michelin X-Ice XI3 and like them a lot. My wife uses Blizzak on her non-AWD car and has been impressed. You can't go wrong with either
Old 12-06-2015, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I live in the Northern part as well and everybody drives around in All Seasons. Of course, having snow tires is definitely better. You will definitely have more stopping power either to avoid someone or cause someone to rear end you. Everyone else get around just fine in All Seasons so it's up to you to decide how much extra you would need to feel comfortable.

As always, the rule is: AWD only makes it easier to get going but doesn't do much in slowing you down. It all comes from the tires and braking system. However, in an event where you need to steer out of trouble, AWD can definitely help with that.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
I live in the Northern part as well and everybody drives around in All Seasons. Of course, having snow tires is definitely better. You will definitely have more stopping power either to avoid someone or cause someone to rear end you. Everyone else get around just fine in All Seasons so it's up to you to decide how much extra you would need to feel comfortable.

As always, the rule is: AWD only makes it easier to get going but doesn't do much in slowing you down. It all comes from the tires and braking system. However, in an event where you need to steer out of trouble, AWD can definitely help with that.
Generally agree, but would just add to the last sentence, "as long as you are applying throttle", if the unexpected problem in front of you allows for such an escape and you keep your wits about you "in the moment".
Old 12-08-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Was forced to make the purchase as my car came Black Optic and ended up going with Michelin Alpin PA4. Seeing as how snow isn't really continuously on the roads most of the winter in Milwaukee but we will have maybe 5-10 deep snowfalls, I opted for a tire that could handle driving in snow/ice conditions while retaining dry road cold weather performance. Pleased so far.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will not put snows on the wife's 2016 A6 3.0. She has goodyear all seasons. On my S5 I have Hakka 18" non-studded, and will use the S5 when it snows.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just mounted a set of Michelin XIce Xi3's on my 2016 A6 3.0t last night. The A6 is new but I drove an S5 for four years here in the mid-Atlantic so I understand both the value and the limitations of Quattro/All-season tire combinations. For me, the confidence and snow/ice performance of winter tires justifies the investment.

I had quality all-seasons on my S5 (Continental DWS). Overall that set-up got me out of a number of winter-weather jams where otherwise I would have been stuck with rear-wheel-drive.

But last fall I mounted winter tires on my wife's mini-van and was shocked at the level of improved handling and confidence in snowy and icy conditions. I can't speak to the difference these Michelin's will make on my A6 but I have to make frequent drives for work to West Virginia and western Pennsylvania so I'm sure I will get feedback eventually.

BTW I got the tires through Tire Rack pre-mounted and balanced on a set of these rims: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...dClar=Prestige

Typical fantastic service from Tire Rack. Balancing was spot-on and each tire was inflated to exactly 35 psi.

Also got a garage storage rack for my all-season's so the swap back-and-forth twice a year is pretty straight-forward.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by toramo1
I just mounted a set of Michelin XIce Xi3's on my 2016 A6 3.0t last night. The A6 is new but I drove an S5 for four years here in the mid-Atlantic so I understand both the value and the limitations of Quattro/All-season tire combinations. For me, the confidence and snow/ice performance of winter tires justifies the investment.

I had quality all-seasons on my S5 (Continental DWS). Overall that set-up got me out of a number of winter-weather jams where otherwise I would have been stuck with rear-wheel-drive.

But last fall I mounted winter tires on my wife's mini-van and was shocked at the level of improved handling and confidence in snowy and icy conditions. I can't speak to the difference these Michelin's will make on my A6 but I have to make frequent drives for work to West Virginia and western Pennsylvania so I'm sure I will get feedback eventually.

BTW I got the tires through Tire Rack pre-mounted and balanced on a set of these rims: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...dClar=Prestige

Typical fantastic service from Tire Rack. Balancing was spot-on and each tire was inflated to exactly 35 psi.

Also got a garage storage rack for my all-season's so the swap back-and-forth twice a year is pretty straight-forward.
You'll love it. The car is a absolute beast (good thing) with snow tires for runs up to Wisp or Snowshoe. Now if we can just get rid of these infernal 60's and 70's...