Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

SQ5 rated at 345 HP vs our 310HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
There is no difference between the 3.0T in the SQ5 and the other 3.0Ts. No bigger block, no better cooling. There are no part number differences.
You sure theres not better cooling? The front mount heat exchangers aren't the same, most likely, so there might be better cooling. I know the ones on the S4 and S5 dwarf the A6/A7 ones. Pumps could also be higher flowing.

Just because the motor is the same, doesn't mean the ancillaries are too.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
You sure theres not better cooling? The front mount heat exchangers aren't the same, most likely, so there might be better cooling. I know the ones on the S4 and S5 dwarf the A6/A7 ones. Pumps could also be higher flowing.

Just because the motor is the same, doesn't mean the ancillaries are too.
You are correct, the rad is bigger. The internals are the same.

Last edited by NABS4; 05-02-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
The SQ5 has 354 HP, 347 lb/ft, stock. The reason the get more out of it in the SQ5 is because there is more room under the hood to fit a beefier block and better cooling capacity, allowing them to turn up the boost. There are several after-market ECU upgrades out there that can easily take the power over 400 HP. Additional gains can be had by replacing the SC pulley with a smaller one, or the crank pulley with a larger one. (GMG makes one where the accessory pulley is the same original size so nothing else is over-driven.) My preference would be the larger crank pulley because it increases the surface area of the belt, rather than decreasing it and causing slippage of the SC pulley. It's 7% larger, uses the same belt, and is simpler to replace. Changing either pulley with result in more low-end power and improved throttle response. However, without the ECU upgrade, all of that additional pressure will be dumped above 5000 RPM. Of course, all of these upgrades will most likely void your warranty. Audi can detect if the ECU was tampered with, even if it was changed back. At least you can neatly replace a stock pulley. My SQ5 arrives next week. I may do the crank pulley change, just because it's simple and can provide modest gains without destroying my warranty.
If you replace the crank pulley without changing the map that controls the fuel air mix you will not have real gains. More boost but not more fuel to be burnt.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQive
Of course, all of these upgrades will most likely void your warranty. Audi can detect if the ECU was tampered with, even if it was changed back. At least you can neatly replace a stock pulley.

My SQ5 arrives next week. I may do the crank pulley change, just because it's simple and can provide modest gains without destroying my warranty.
Several corrections, beyond what has already been pointed out (that the A6 and SQ5 engine are 100% identical internally).

Getting a performance tune doesn't "destroy your warranty". If your dealer's service department were to detect that you had a performance tune installed, your vehicle would be flagged with the TD1 designator. This means that the dealer may deny warranty coverage to repairs that can be directly attributable to the modification you did. I.e., getting a performance tune isn't going to mean that if you have a windshield wiper motor go bad they will deny it, because you no longer have ANY warranty. However, they likely WOULD try to deny warranty coverage if you were to spin a bearing or something while running a tune.

An ECU flashed back to the stock program CANNOT be detected.

Also, while the crank pulley is buried under quite a bit of plastic trim and obscured by other components, if your dealer were to notice that you had changed it, they certainly would note it, flag the car with the TD1 designator, and could possibly deny future warranty claims.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean Audi lied to us...those bastards!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Several corrections, beyond what has already been pointed out (that the A6 and SQ5 engine are 100% identical internally).

Getting a performance tune doesn't "destroy your warranty". If your dealer's service department were to detect that you had a performance tune installed, your vehicle would be flagged with the TD1 designator. This means that the dealer may deny warranty coverage to repairs that can be directly attributable to the modification you did. I.e., getting a performance tune isn't going to mean that if you have a windshield wiper motor go bad they will deny it, because you no longer have ANY warranty. However, they likely WOULD try to deny warranty coverage if you were to spin a bearing or something while running a tune.

An ECU flashed back to the stock program CANNOT be detected.

Also, while the crank pulley is buried under quite a bit of plastic trim and obscured by other components, if your dealer were to notice that you had changed it, they certainly would note it, flag the car with the TD1 designator, and could possibly deny future warranty claims.
The latest TD1 process is now more stringent in that usually when the car is in for service, it's connected to the Audi system where any engine operation variables are noted at the mother ship. The dealer is essentially out of the loop. If a TD1 is assigned, it's labeled with the car forevermore.

Also, there is some disagreement as to whether or not Audi can determine if an ECU or other engine performance mod was done via stored data parameters, even if an ECU or mod is reversed prior to service.

In any case, it's very clear that Audi has become more aggressive in tracking engine mods and relevant warranty coverage.

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-05-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The latest TD1 process is now more stringent in that usually when the car is in for service, it's connected to the Audi system where any engine operation variables are noted at the mother ship. The dealer is essentially out of the loop. If a TD1 is assigned, it's labeled with the car forevermore.

Also, there is some disagreement as to whether or not Audi can determine if an ECU or other engine performance mod was done via stored data parameters, even if an ECU or mod is reversed prior to service.

In any case, it's very clear that Audi has become more aggressive in tracking engine mods and relevant warranty coverage.
Does this apply to VAG mods?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hockenheim
I assume you mean VAG-COM, or VCDS mods. The answer is a categorical no.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hockenheim
They will know that you have made modifications to VagCom but it doesn't result in a TD1. However, you mess something up they may choose to charge you to fix it.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
They will know that you have made modifications to VagCom but it doesn't result in a TD1. However, you mess something up they may choose to charge you to fix it.
For what it's worth, the dealer told me when I took delivery that VAG-COM modifications will be reset to default when the Audi Service is performed. I would assume that this occurs only if you got the extended maintenance plan.

Quick Reply: SQ5 rated at 345 HP vs our 310HP