Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Start/Stop Efficiency System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I've had my 2015 3.0T for a couple of weeks now and as you are all aware the /15 MY does not default to "on" each time you start the car. Normally I keep it off as I think that for a big powerful car this thing gets excellent gas mileage. However, I was crossing the border from Ontario to Michigan in an 8 or so car lineup and figured I'd give this technology a try. I was pleasantly surprised as it seems to work pretty well and I didn't find it terribly annoying/intrusive. Having said the foregoing it is noteworthy that I haven't turned it on since - LOL.

Also glad you guys with MY /16 cars have found a way to make it operate same as MY /15 if the default setting was bothering you. This is a great forum.

Best,
Jeff
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
I've had my 2015 3.0T for a couple of weeks now and as you are all aware the /15 MY does not default to "on" each time you start the car. Normally I keep it off as I think that for a big powerful car this thing gets excellent gas mileage. However, I was crossing the border from Ontario to Michigan in an 8 or so car lineup and figured I'd give this technology a try. I was pleasantly surprised as it seems to work pretty well and I didn't find it terribly annoying/intrusive. Having said the foregoing it is noteworthy that I haven't turned it on since - LOL.

Also glad you guys with MY /16 cars have found a way to make it operate same as MY /15 if the default setting was bothering you. This is a great forum.

Best,
Jeff
You're fortunate to have had the last of the default/off systems! If anyone knows the answer to the question in post #49, so I can make mine work, your answer would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
May I please ask for some additional help/info with alternative a)? My indy tech got setup and the Stg 09, Login 20113, and finding channel 34 all worked fine. Then, we got a bit confused. The screen showed a current value of 20, and pending a change, a new value of 20. He wasn't sure if your instructions meant to reduce 20 (by 4) to 16 as the new value, or to set the new value to 0. He did not want to proceed without being more certain, so he backed out and sent me to get that one last bit of information. Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I believe the instructions are pretty clear; subtract 4 from the current value. That will result in a change of bit 2 to 0. You can check bit 2 to see if the new number made that change. If it doesn't work, you can always go back and add 4 to the number to restore to to the original setting.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I believe the instructions are pretty clear; subtract 4 from the current value. That will result in a change of bit 2 to 0. You can check bit 2 to see if the new number made that change. If it doesn't work, you can always go back and add 4 to the number to restore to to the original setting.
Thank you for responding, but this is the concern:

The group and login all worked and channel 34 appeared on the VCDS screen. But, I watched and there is nothing on the screen showing "Bit" with a 2 or a 0. The only other variable showing is the Current Value (which was 20) and the New Value (which was also 20, until we would enter a new value). So, the question was whether we are supposed to change the 20 to a 16 and enter that as the New Value.

I am trying to explain this as best I can from what I watched. If this makes any sense, I would again appreciate help, as the technician doesn't recognize this kind of New Value change from 20 to 16, and doesn't want to implement it until we are certain.

Thanks again...sorry this isn't more clear to me.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe you are trying to overthink this. Just follow the instructions - it's pretty straight forward.
The bit string should show on the screen above the value entry boxes as I recall. You don't change the 2 bit to 0 yourself, changing the number in the value box will do that for you.
Again, his instructions are to simply subtract the value you see to 4 less than shown. That's it. Be sure to click "do it" before you leave that screen and you're done. Reboot the MMI and test the stop/start defeat button to make sure it stays off when you turn the car off then back on. If it does, you're done. If not, go back in to Vag-Com and change back to the original value. and start over to make sure you followed the steps.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe you are trying to overthink this. Just follow the instructions - it's pretty straight forward.
The bit string should show on the screen above the value entry boxes as I recall. You don't change the 2 bit to 0 yourself, changing the number in the value box will do that for you.
Again, his instructions are to simply subtract the value you see to 4 less than shown. That's it. Be sure to click "do it" before you leave that screen and you're done. Reboot the MMI and test the stop/start defeat button to make sure it stays off when you turn the car off then back on. If it does, you're done. If not, go back in to Vag-Com and change back to the original value. and start over to make sure you followed the steps.
OK, thank you. I will send your note to the tech so he can implement. Much appreciated!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sportstick
OK, thank you. I will send your note to the tech so he can implement. Much appreciated!
Just to be clear, those are not my instructions, the poster indicated they came from somewhere else. I'm only trying to interpret what the poster wrote - I've never tried it myself as my 2013 already defaults to off. Bottom line, I cant vouch for the process although there was at least one other person on this thread who apparently had success.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to be clear, those are not my instructions, the poster indicated they came from somewhere else. I'm only trying to interpret what the poster wrote - I've never tried it myself as my 2013 already defaults to off. Bottom line, I cant vouch for the process although there was at least one other person on this thread who apparently had success.
Yes, thanks, I understand you are just helping with the process and the substance of the recode came from another poster. In any event, I also realize nothing on a forum comes with a guarantee...we're all just trying to help each other. Thanks much for clarifying that last process step!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Let us know if it worked. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Let us know if it worked. Good luck.
Thank you again for your guidance. We were successful today by reducing the "current value" of 20 to a "new value" of 16. The disable button LED is now continuously illuminated when the car is started and the start/stop system is off.

I guess I was initially perplexed as to why the directions did not simply say "enter 16", so now I wonder if different cars have different "current values", but all maintain a value of 4 difference from the system being on to off....just wondering.

Thanks again and glad to have this behind us!

Quick Reply: Start/Stop Efficiency System?