Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Surround view camera in the 2013 model

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Surround view camera in the 2013 model

Hello,

the surround view camera that comes with the 2013 models sounds pretty useful to me, as I need to park in very tight spaces quite often.
I currently own a 2012 A6 that I purchased last year, and was wondering if the surround view camera would be something that I would be able to retrofit on my existing 2012 model.
What do you think?
I almost know nothing about retrofitting equipment on cars, so any expert advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of the question to be honest, its attaching a minimum of 3 more cameras to where they have no fitment, which would requires drilling of some sort. Also software is not going to be the same, so that would require changing. Wiring harnesses, probably even requires a whole system switch since they might not have an input.

I'd love to have it though, fingers crossed.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Last thing I need is another camera!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just talking to somebody earlier today about how sweet it would be to have a front facing camera.....too bad it comes out a year later! Wish I had this on my 12 A6 as parking in my garage is kind of annoying and I sometimes have to get out to see how much more the car can move up.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think there will be most likely be a retrofit for the camera and software. I have lived overseas for years with US Spec Audis and have had to reprogram and add features to my Audis and this is no different. Currently, my 2012 US model did not come equipped with front washers and they already have a retrofit solution for that. It also didnt come with European Maps and Firmware yet I have reprogrammed my unit already. Previously, I have had to put a Gateway system in my 05 A6 because AMI came out the year after I bought my previous A6. I have had software reprogrammed so I could use maps in Europe so I believe this is going to be an option by the fall. Not a cheap option; but option nonetheless.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BugeyeRX
Last thing I need is another camera!
yea what u said
Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just purchased a 2013 A8 (3.0) and it does not have the front camera either!!!

I wonder if my vehicle should have had this on it ?

Also, I understand that there is another option whereby you can open the trunk when you have you hands full merely by moving your foot underneath the trunk ? Is this accurate ?

Steve
(Virginia)
Old 06-19-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lmbatts
I think there will be most likely be a retrofit for the camera and software. I have lived overseas for years with US Spec Audis and have had to reprogram and add features to my Audis and this is no different. Currently, my 2012 US model did not come equipped with front washers and they already have a retrofit solution for that. It also didnt come with European Maps and Firmware yet I have reprogrammed my unit already. Previously, I have had to put a Gateway system in my 05 A6 because AMI came out the year after I bought my previous A6. I have had software reprogrammed so I could use maps in Europe so I believe this is going to be an option by the fall. Not a cheap option; but option nonetheless.
Can you give me any details on the front washer retrofit ? Is there a TSB or part number(s) associated with that ? Cost ?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by reddog1113
I just purchased a 2013 A8 (3.0) and it does not have the front camera either!!!

I wonder if my vehicle should have had this on it ?

Also, I understand that there is another option whereby you can open the trunk when you have you hands full merely by moving your foot underneath the trunk ? Is this accurate ?

Steve
(Virginia)
Not sure if Audi will have that. I know BMW have that. Ford has something similar.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inyoury
Not sure if Audi will have that. I know BMW have that. Ford has something similar.
I heard the EU spec 2012 A6 has that feature... so awesome

Quick Reply: Surround view camera in the 2013 model