Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TDI Engine Surge, Dealer States Normal

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just re-watched the video with the sound turned up a lot and can hear what you two are describing. These are the only two I have seen with this observed issue. Strange that both started around the same time despite the "fix" being implemented some time earlier. The OP was describing a 2014 MY, I assume 50Pascals is also the same MY?

I hope both of you will keep this thread alive and post updates and resolution so others can benefit.

Last edited by nhdoc; 08-24-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nhdoc
I just re-watched the video with the sound turned up a lot and can hear what you two are describing. These are the only two I have seen with this observed issue. Strange that both started around the same time despite the "fix" being implemented some time earlier. The OP was describing a 2014 MY, I assume 50Pascals is also the same MY?

I hope both of you will keep this thread alive and post updates and resolution so others can benefit.
Yes, I am 2014 MY. I'll fix my profile.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds terrible. I just scheduled mine for the fix next month and based on your video I am starting to have second thoughts.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Transporter208
That sounds terrible. I just scheduled mine for the fix next month and based on your video I am starting to have second thoughts.
if you wait you will also delay the start of the new warranty. If I wait until April 2020, the new warranty will be in place for the miles between 110,000 and 160,000. The warranty can also be transferred to a new owner if I decide to sell it.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

^ I was in your camp originally and like you, I was going to wait it out to maximize the warranty but I changed my mind because of the type of driving I do which exposes me to a higher risk of the car possibly getting totaled. I put 550 miles a week on her commuting to work and its mostly rural driving. I am in Michigan and happen to live in an area of the highest car/deer collisions in the state and it is not uncommon that a collision with a deer results in significant damage. I probably don’t need to tell you that the repair costs for cars like ours, especially if the side air bag goes off, could potentially run in the many, many thousands of dollars. So depending on those repair costs, insurance companies might opt to cash out and total the car versus paying more than its book value to fix it. This may sound silly but ask anyone who lives in Michigan about this deer/car thing. So, in this scenario, I have weighed out the risks of that happening and decided to get the fix now versus rolling the dice, not because of the extended warranty so much, but I don’t want to potentially miss out on that second half of the settlement ($4,100). This is too much money to leave on the table (potentially that is).
Old 08-28-2018, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Being in the NYC area I don’t have much fear of deer. My fear are the people who text and drive! Lol.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update

So, today is the 30th day that the dealer has had my car and I have received an email, from the dealer, letting me know that my car is ready to pick up. I asked if the car is fixed and the following is what I ultimately received back about the surging:

"According to Audi Field technician and technician support line, Surging is caused by change in shift patterns due to emission update. The system will take longer to warm up to sensor that were all involved with the repair until vehicle is warmed up.

XXX basically stated, if you want to avoid the surging. Start it up, let it warm up 5 minutes before driving.

There's nothing wrong with your vehicle surging. Even if this happened before or after the emission update. Nothing within our inspection or XXX shows there is a mechanically failure."

So, after 30 days of the dealer chasing its own tail, I am told being unequivocally that the TDI surging is normal. If the surging is normal, then why would a dealer spend 30 days, tying-up a loaner, making several repair attempts if the surging is normal? They emailed a couple of supportive videos to Audi also and never came to the conclusion that it is normal until after they couldn't fix it. I have yet to find one other person on here, who is experiencing the same symptoms as my TDI.

What happens next will test any Audi loyalty that I have left.

Last edited by 99AEight; 08-30-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

They had your car for 30 days and that was their conclusion? And you still have some Audi loyalty left after all of that? Hats of to you my friend. Your car clearly has something wrong going on there and they are telling you that is normal?! I call BS. Have you considered taking your car to another dealer or possibly an independent? It would be interesting to know if a second opinion would draw the same conclusion. I would also consider a Malone tune discussed pretty throughly in other threads on this site. You really don’t have anything to lose at this point. Good luck to you.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 99AEight
So, today is the 30th day that the dealer has had my car and I have received an email, from the dealer, letting me know that my car is ready to pick up. I asked if the car is fixed and the following is what I ultimately received back about the surging:

"According to Audi Field technician and technician support line, Surging is caused by change in shift patterns due to emission update. The system will take longer to warm up to sensor that were all involved with the repair until vehicle is warmed up.

XXX basically stated, if you want to avoid the surging. Start it up, let it warm up 5 minutes before driving.

There's nothing wrong with your vehicle surging. Even if this happened before or after the emission update. Nothing within our inspection or XXX shows there is a mechanically failure."

So, after 30 days of the dealer chasing its own tail, I am told being unequivocally that the TDI surging is normal. If the surging is normal, then why would a dealer spend 30 days, tying-up a loaner, making several repair attempts if the surging is normal? They emailed a couple of supportive videos to Audi also and never came to the conclusion that it is normal until after they couldn't fix it. I have yet to find one other person on here, who is experiencing the same symptoms as my TDI.

What happens next will test any Audi loyalty that I have left.
Not sure why they would have the car for so long if it was really “normal”. Very depressing information on the fix. Hang in there
Old 08-31-2018, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A change in shift pattern, is simply that. It has nothing to do with the engine surging. I suppose it is possible you have something going wrong with your transmission that can cause the engine to surge (like a failing or malfunctioning torque convertor) but the idea that simply programming the transmission to shift later when the engine is cold will affect the way the engine runs is ridiculous. Tell them to find something in writing from Audi in the way of a TSB that says this is normal.

I would tell them I insist on meeting with the Audi field technician first thing in the morning at the dealership so they can drive in the car and experience the issue firsthand and then let them tell you to your face they think it's "normal". Until then I would not give back the loaner.

I had also mentioned the fuel filter as being suspect and you said they did all of the recommended service. Please check your service records to confirm they replaced the fuel filter at each recommended interval (which is at 15K miles and every 20K miles after that). I was surprised to see that Audi recommends fuel filter replacements that frequently but they do. If you have audi care it wouldn't surprise me if they cut corners. Just check to make sure they listed fuel filter replacement (you can see the part numbers on the invoice) and make sure the most recent service where it was called for actually got done. Even if it was done at the last recommended interval I would do it again to see if it has any effect on the surging. Whenever I hear issues of surging with modern diesel engines I always go to fuel pressure first and fuel filters. They ought to try to monitor the fuel pressure when the car is surging if the fuel filter doesn't clear it up.Surging like you have experienced is almost always related to inconsistent fuel pressure, either because of clogged filter, failing fuel pump or defective fuel pressure regulator. If it was "normal" everyone would experience it, so of course it isn't normal.

Last edited by nhdoc; 08-31-2018 at 04:48 AM.

Quick Reply: TDI Engine Surge, Dealer States Normal