Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

For Those Considering Swapping Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
I doubt you will find any experts that deny that going from 18" to 20" wheels will reduce ride comfort. It's just a matter of whether the comfort level is acceptable. Just a matter of physics. A 20" tire is going to be less comfortable than an 18" and a 22" is going to be less comfortable than a 20"

Don't beleive it? Then argue with Audi that sets a standard wheel size for their stock configurations. They spend lots of money determining what yields the best comfort level for the majority of their customers then they offer sport configurations for customers more tolerant to a less comfortable ride.
I think some folks with 20" wheels took your initial "crap" comment too personally and I can see how it would come off somewhat harsh to someone who doesn't have thick skin. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That said, I do agree with you on your last post and the physics of the matter. That is why I chose 19" tires on my A6 - because to me the 20" are too harsh and more prone to blowouts on the crappy roads in my area. I actually use 18" winter tires and prefer the 19" the best in terms of the feel I am looking for
Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What 18" winter tires do you use Maverick?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When ordering my 2014 A6 Prestige I came on forums like this and saw various gripes regarding road noise with the 20's. So I went with the sport package with the 19's (I have the Conti's) and ordered a set of winter's on 18's from Tire Rack. I'm went with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3's and so far are extremely happy with them.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iBetterDoNow
I was on the fence of picking 19" and 20" and noticed the tire cost between them was not much. However a possible noisy A6 steered me to pick 19". Happy Holidays
I'm assuming tire life would be another consideration. The P-zero's that I just pulled off have 23k miles on them and they are done. The dealership said that was pretty good for those tires. With proper care, I would hope that I can get 35-40k out of the all-seasons.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
I'm assuming tire life would be another consideration. The P-zero's that I just pulled off have 23k miles on them and they are done. The dealership said that was pretty good for those tires. With proper care, I would hope that I can get 35-40k out of the all-seasons.
23k is really good for P zero's. Obviously it is dependent on your kind of driving but I got 15k before on them. All seasons will last you significantly longer than a grippy summer tire.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This thread is titled with swapping wheels, but the first message also mentioned swapping from performance to all season tires. This makes the thread a little confusing. If folks like to use 20" wheels, they can choose 20" all season tires, too. The prices for Michelin all season tires for 19" and 20" are pretty close last time I checked when I was choosing between the two. For me the deciding factor is noise level. S6 has noise cancelation and air suspension, which make using 20" tires and wheels more feasible for them, but everyone has his own preferences.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by iBetterDoNow
This thread is titled with swapping wheels, but the first message also mentioned swapping from performance to all season tires. This makes the thread a little confusing.
It's very typical for forum thread topics to wander off in different directions from the OP. It comes with the territory.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had been looking to downsize my wheels from the 20s with P-Zeros to 19s; for a slightly smoother ride and better all-season handling. I just thought I’d share my experience with those that may be considering the same. I love the look and performance from the 20’s with the summer performance P-Zeros, but let’s face it – it’s a rough riding set up. I ultimately decided I wanted to stay with OEM equipment and I didn’t want to stray to far from the current fitment. I ended up going with the S-Line wheels from the S4 (B8 I think), affectionately known as “Peelers”. Got a good deal on takeoffs. It was a great fit since the existing 20’s had an offset of 45 and the Peelers had an offset of 43. This pushed the wheel outward 2mm, which is unnoticeable. Keep in mind that the Peelers from the A5 have an offset of 32. I wrapped the wheels in ContiProContacts; another good deal on takeoffs with 400 miles on them. I decided to up the aspect ratio to fill the wheel well and ease the ride some more. The P-Zeros were 255/35R20 and the Conti’s are 255/40R19. It’s a completely different ride; very smooth and much quieter. I think it’s a good look too. Not as aggressive as the 20’s but spokes are fairly timeless. I’ve included a couple pics for anyone curious what the A6 looks like with the Peelers. When I was researching this swap, I couldn’t find a pic of an A6 with Peelers anywhere. Oh, and I will be holding on to the 20’s to get my performance fix in the Spring/Summer timeframe.
I had those rims on my Q5 and I loved them. They look good on just about any Audi, IMO. Nothing a good wheel cleaner can't fix, as far as keeping them clean. btw, I love the 20s on mine. No ride complaints from me, though the roads are nicer out here than most. Yeah, I know... everyone has an a$$hole and an opinion.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
What 18" winter tires do you use Maverick?
I am using Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires. Really like them. Still handle very well and no issues at all with getting up a snowy / icy hill
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

First, those Peelers look great and I agree that the look is timeless. I too have the 20” sports package on my 2013 A6 with the P-Zeros (255/35R20) and am looking for second set of tires. I am looking to move to 18” wheels with the thought of maintaining the OEM specifications. That said here is what I think I know. The specifications for the current 20” wheels are as follows: 20x8.5, 66.6 bore, 5x112 bolt pattern and an offset of +45mm. After much searching here is what I THINK the OEM 18” wheels specification are: 18x8, 66.6 bore, 5x112 bolt pattern and an offset of +39 mm (+39 offset does not appear to be very common offset). It also appears that the recommended tire size for this wheel size is 245/45R18. Anyway, can someone “in the know” tell me if the specifications I have listed for the 18” wheels match the OEM specifications for the wheel and tire that I listed? I also suppose I could purchase a wheel with a higher offset and use spacers to match the +39 offset. Comments, wisdom and advice are much welcomed!

2013 A6 | Glacier White | Prestige | Innovation | 20” Sports Package

Quick Reply: For Those Considering Swapping Wheels