Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tires

Old 09-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

Deciding between Pirelli P7 All Season Plus and Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 for my '12 A6 prestige. 18" wheels. Leaning towards the Pirellis. Thoughts?
Old 09-30-2015, 05:39 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

I don't mean to offend, but Pirelli has been the worst tires I've had in all my years. Since back in 2001 on my B5 S4 to my current flat spot happy pzeros. I would never intentionally buy Pirelli's. I've had the older DWS and they were quite good. Can't wait to get my PSS on.

Last edited by gk1; 09-30-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

DWS 06 hands down. As to Pirellis, well...let's just say the you won't be sorry with the DWS 06 - I love 'em. The new versions are much better than even the old ones. Same smooth ride without the squirmy soft sidewalls.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

On my last Audi I was impressed with the P7s except for the fact that I'd only get about 20K miles per set, and I'm not THAT tough on my tires. Had the car for 60+K miles and 3 sets of P7s. They did grip in snow & dry, and had a quiet tread. That said, I'm glad this car has the Contis. Put about 9K miles on them so far and still smilin.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally was sold on the DWS06 and then after reading reviews leaned towards the Pirelli's because of the ride comfort/noise level reviews on tire rack. I was drawn to the DWS from the start because I am a pretty spirited driver and like to remind myself I have a 3.0 - but I was afraid I would sacrifice ride comfort/noise level with the DWS as I do about 50% highway driving and love a soft-feel, cruising tire for those commutes. From what I am reading on the forums, the DWS is the best of both worlds and offers pretty decent ride comfort?? Also, will the fact that I have 18" wheels make a difference? Most feedback I have seen have been on at least a 19" setup.

I'm currently running the stock ContiProContact. Assuming either choice will be a major upgrade...

IDK WHAT TO DO

Last edited by scalco23; 09-30-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is my experience:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...tires-2887991/
Old 09-30-2015, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just ordered my 20" DWS06 today as will have them Friday. Sent them to the dealers since they will install them for free. I've had enough of the Stock Pirelli summers. So when my 5k mile service comes up I'll be riding on the new DWS06s.

As for the reviews on tirerack, I couldn't determine if the reviewers made reviews on the DWS or the DWS06. Some posts were dating back too Far to be the new ones so I inquired on this forum. Snag and a handful of others could confirm they are a great set of tires so that was enough for me to order them.

On a side note, what to do with used tires with 5k miles...
Old 10-01-2015, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inyoury
I just ordered my 20" DWS06 today as will have them Friday. Sent them to the dealers since they will install them for free. I've had enough of the Stock Pirelli summers. So when my 5k mile service comes up I'll be riding on the new DWS06s.

As for the reviews on tirerack, I couldn't determine if the reviewers made reviews on the DWS or the DWS06. Some posts were dating back too Far to be the new ones so I inquired on this forum. Snag and a handful of others could confirm they are a great set of tires so that was enough for me to order them.

Ask your dealer if they know of any similar lease cars due for return soon. If the lessee doesn't have sufficient remaining tread depth for an acceptable return, yours could be a handy alternative at a reasonable price.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Inyoury

Good choice, Inyoury. Be prepared for a much quieter, more comfortable ride. Compared to your summers, you'll get about 90-95% of the handling as well - not bad for an all season tire. Yeah, people posted their reviews of the old model in the wrong place at Tire Rack.

As to disposition, you might try Craigslist. I got $500 for my P-Zeros on a fast sale but they only had 100 miles on them. With 5K miles, you probably wont get more than $100-200 or so. You can try the dealer but I doubt they will want them. Might have something to do with liability on used tires but you never know.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You can try the dealer but I doubt they will want them. Might have something to do with liability on used tires but you never know.
Just to clarify, I agree and didn't mean to suggest the dealer would buy them. A good dealer who knows his customers may simply be able to put you in touch with a returning lessee who has worn out his OE tires, as I've seen happen in the past. Not a business opportunity for them as much as just customer relations, if your dealer happens to be of that mindset.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires