Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Too many button pushes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Too many button pushes

It is a shame that Audi decided that you need too many button pushes to retrieve any information. There is another active thread regarding the 4 zone climate control and, although there is a display, it doesn't give you the information that is available without changing the attribute that you wish to view. I want to see the fan speed but you have to change it to find out, if you want to know the selected direction of forced air then you have to select it etc. The display should always give you direction, temperature and fan speed of all zones. You can adjust the rear controls from the front but it's menus down and unnecessarily complex.
I want to see navigation and traffic but I also want to know the artist playing on XM radio. I now need to select " radio" and wait for the system to download the information but while I'm doing that I cannot see the map.
If you are using ACC with ALA then the lane recognition lines and approach distance is very useful as to when to intervene but if I want to check the oil temp then I am distracted by pressing buttons, rotating wheels and then I cannot see the ACC and ALA display. Is my distance set to 2? I can check it but if I'm monitoring MPG's then I cannot do both without pressing some buttons. There are numerous examples of this superfluous button pushing and if safety is the issue then less driver intervention is an advantage.
I have never owned a car that requires so much button pushing and the above examples transpire many times per trip. The newer models have a configurable display where the DIS is but you still have to keep selecting what you want. I know that there are some people who just steer and set the DIS to blank and want to fold down the MMI but I bought a car with numerous attributes and I use them all the time but it seems that I do more button pushing than steering, fortunately, it drives itself and steers itself so I can concentrate, unnecessarily, on gathering the information that I want.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I do concur with what you stated. I've only had the car since July and when I first got it I found myself focusing more on getting to the info I wanted by pushing buttons and turning ***** while driving. Very, very dangerous given the lack of attention most other drivers have. Now I force myself to only do those things while stopped at a traffic light while waiting for it to change. I know this does not making the user interface any better but at least I won't drive off the road or worse by playing with the buttons and ***** while I'm driving.

Last edited by DanfZX14; 12-04-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the 2014 MMI works different than mine, I can get artist info by pressing the Media key, on the climate control, any **** you touch will display on the MMI for you to adjust the settings.

Having to us the arrow on the steering wheel to cycle thru Night vision, GPS, Gear display is distracting.

Did you try using the voice command, it actually can do a lot more than most people realize.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
Maybe the 2014 MMI works different than mine, I can get artist info by pressing the Media key, on the climate control, any **** you touch will display on the MMI for you to adjust the settings.

Having to us the arrow on the steering wheel to cycle thru Night vision, GPS, Gear display is distracting.

Did you try using the voice command, it actually can do a lot more than most people realize.
If you press the Media key then you will no longer be listening to SiriusXM radio.
I don't want to necessarily adjust the settings, what if I just want to look at them? You should not need to touch a button to see the fan speed.

Voice Commands are a close second to Touch screen controls - they are both intermittent in operation and typically change something that you didn't want to.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
If you press the Media key then you will no longer be listening to SiriusXM radio.
Radio key if you are in listening XM will show artist info
Old 12-04-2015, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
Radio key if you are in listening XM will show artist info
I think that you are missing my point: I cannot see Nav and Traffic and anything else. Yes I can see radio but then I can't see anything else either. Everything is an option, it's just that you have to select it to see it. Getting information from an interface should not require a button push or more, you should be able to use your eyes and then you can keep your hands on the wheel.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't used my ACC in a while, but isn't the distance setting always visible from the dashboard when active?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
I haven't used my ACC in a while, but isn't the distance setting always visible from the dashboard when active?
No, the lit icon doesn't show relative distance. The DIS display also shows the recognition of lines for the ALA. It is the display that I use 95% of the time.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
I think that you are missing my point: I cannot see Nav and Traffic and anything else. Yes I can see radio but then I can't see anything else either. Everything is an option, it's just that you have to select it to see it. Getting information from an interface should not require a button push or more, you should be able to use your eyes and then you can keep your hands on the wheel.
I see your point, between the MMI and DIS/HUD, you can only see 2 options at any time, so I use the radio button to show the artist info on the MMI, my DIS and HUD still have my Nav info, does the 2014 works differently? I know the 2016 is totally different.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a current generation BMW 5 series and we currently have a 2014 Lexus GS. Of the three cars the Audi has the best compromise of how the various functions work...in my opinion and most of the road tests I have read. As someone mentioned, you actually can see a combination of things by setting the display between the gauges to show what you want.

Quick Reply: Too many button pushes