Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

trade for RS5 or mod current car

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trade for RS5 or mod current car

Hey guys I'm torn between selling my A6 and getting a Rs5. I know they are two complete different animals.

While I love my A6, I really missed having a coupe, I also want more power, the stock engine of the a6 really don't do much for me.

So my options are trade it in and get a rs5 or do some mod to it like stasis flash and exhaust
Mods will be easier on the wallet but will a modded a6 be close to a rs5?

Thoughts would be grateful
Old 12-05-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I say go with the Rs5.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Banned

A modded A6 should be very close to an RS5. And for street driving, it will be way better, because the 4.2 is sorely lacking in torque. Thats why I bought the A6 instead of a year old A8 L 4.2. Just hated the motor.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I miss the days when you could purchase a separate ecu, get it chipped, and if it still didn't tickle your fancy you could remove it, sell it and move on to a different car. My recommendation in this case would be to find someone with a tuned A6 if you can and see if the performance change does the trick for you.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Banned

Regrets... we all have them. I think you're heading that way if you ditch the A6. The interior of the A4, A5, Q5 lineup is very dated compared to your A6. The novelty would wear off quickly. Sure, it's fast and it will put a smile on your face, but the RS7 is a better machine - and I'd say that's the cutting edge from Audi. I like the older S5 V8, though, and at least the older style MMI and interior can be justified if I buy one used. But a new RS5? Pass.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I recently traded my Stasis A7 in for an RS7. I had the A7 for about 20 months and I loved it. The engine tune + exhaust dropped the 0-60 time to 4.4 (the same as the RS5). I looked hard at the RS5, and was on the list to get one before switching to the A7. I totally agree with in2dwww that the interior of the current A6/A7 is a big step forward from the interior in the A4/A5 cars.
So, my view is: tune the A6. Or, if you can stretch, get an RS7....it's the finest/funnest car I've ever owned.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the A6 and mod it. Like others said below, the interior is more lux in our car. I did an autocross one day with my modded A6 (minus the sway bar) and of my competition there was one RS5 and a host of S5's and others. We were competing for basic Audi gear prizes, but I had to redeem myself from the last time I did this in my C5, so I was focused. Well I came in second to the RS5. However it was only by 1.10 seconds. Some may say that is a lot and in reality it is in racing. However my bigger family sedan with two kids seats beat most everyone else and gave that RS5 something to sweat about. In fact, I had him beat up until his last run. That is when he took over 1st. So he had the pressure and ran a perfect lap. I didn't pace him on the track, so I can't tell you how we compared to a track scenario. I also can't claim that my sway bar would have given me the edge.

I personally feel as a car enthusiast that a modded A6 is the perfect all around car. It has the class of a business man, amenities of a tech freak. Small enough to still be nimble (to a point), and when you mod it, a true sleeper. A lady in the streets but a freak in the sheets is how I quickly describe it.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Keep the A6 and mod it. Like others said below, the interior is more lux in our car. I did an autocross one day with my modded A6 (minus the sway bar) and of my competition there was one RS5 and a host of S5's and others. We were competing for basic Audi gear prizes, but I had to redeem myself from the last time I did this in my C5, so I was focused. Well I came in second to the RS5. However it was only by 1.10 seconds. Some may say that is a lot and in reality it is in racing. However my bigger family sedan with two kids seats beat most everyone else and gave that RS5 something to sweat about. In fact, I had him beat up until his last run. That is when he took over 1st. So he had the pressure and ran a perfect lap. I didn't pace him on the track, so I can't tell you how we compared to a track scenario. I also can't claim that my sway bar would have given me the edge.

I personally feel as a car enthusiast that a modded A6 is the perfect all around car. It has the class of a business man, amenities of a tech freak. Small enough to still be nimble (to a point), and when you mod it, a true sleeper. A lady in the streets but a freak in the sheets is how I quickly describe it.
haha i like this reply... off topic but how did you get the sway without the full package?
Old 12-06-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll give a slightly different perspective. If you long for an RS5/coupe because you want a more nimble, tossable sports car you won't get that with an A6 even with mods. My A6 has an APR flash and it's a fantastic, bang for your buck upgrade that puts a smile on my face every time I mash the pedal. Yet, I come from a history of small, great handling cars (e30 BMW, porsche 986, etc) and part of me still longs for a smaller, more tossable car. I may look into some suspension mods, but the fact is the A6 is a sporty luxury sedan and will never compete in feel and passion with a more purpose-built vehicle like the RS5. That said, it often comes down to compromises, and like the others have said, the A6 the best compromise vehicle around for those of us who have to carry families, clients and other folks around and like their luxury with some sport.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my take on your question. I have modified my A6 a fair bit, GIAC stage 2 tune, KW Variant 3 suspension with Stasis rear anti sway bar and adjustable front upper control arms. I had the car aligned by GMG Motorsports for the track but not to aggressive so that my street tires would not wear abnormally, so long as rotate them as required. They gave the car about -2.3 deg. of camber in the front and -1.8 deg. of camber in the rear along with 0.1-0.2 deg. of toe for the front/rear respectively. I recently completed a HPDE at Buttonwillow raceway park and a number of people were amazed at how well my A6 performs. I ran this track back in February of this year before I had the suspension/alignment done. What a difference these 2 mods made. The turn in is quicker and more precise and the suspension, when stiffened for the track, produces very little body roll. IMHO this setup really rocks for an A6.

Quick Reply: trade for RS5 or mod current car