Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Turn Signal Usage

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Increasingly European countries are mandating by law, and enforcing with fines and 'clips' that you have to signal lane shift.... everytime!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hhhoffme
Increasingly European countries are mandating by law, and enforcing with fines and 'clips' that you have to signal lane shift.... everytime!
It is the law in California too but with a caveat: Only if it affects other drivers. So the determination to use or not use is made by the operator of the vehicle as to whether or not your usage of turn signals is relevant to surrounding traffic.

Leaving that decision to a "motor vehicle operator" is plain stupid because that operator may never be sure of all the decisions being made by the surrounding vehicles and therefore is never enabled to determine the qualifications for no usage.

California may not have good lawyers but we sure have a lot of 'em.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DasA6
I think you can ask the dealer of someone with VAGcom to make that change for you.
I don't have the references in front of me, but the adaptation channels listed for other cars/models don't seem to exist on my C7. Current VCDS versions have label files which offer the choice on the cars/modules it's known for, but it doesn't for my:
Code:
Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519)       Labels: 4H0-907-063.clb
   Part No SW: 4H0 907 063 CG    HW: 4H0 907 063 
   Component: BCM1 2.0      H12 0130  
   Revision: 11012002
and from what I can tell, there's no tweak known yet to enable it in the C7 platform
Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irenesbob
A tad bit off-topic:
Another thing that frosts my whatever is the people who say on the left lane until the last minute when it is clearly indicated that their lane is ending. They then cut you off or wave and gesture like” “WTF you doing?” if you fail to yield and let them in. There is a section on the southbound Hutchinson River Parkway just north of the 287 intersect where the two southbound lanes merge into one. For a good ¾ of a mile there are 4 or 5 signs indicating that the left lane ends. Almost every time I drive that route some idiot stays in the left and then when inevitably their lane starts tapering and is 50 feet from ending, they try to dart in front. If not successful, they start waving and screaming as if it is my duty to let them in. Knowing about the merger I will move over from the left lane to the right lane to anticipate and provide for a no-drama situation at the merge, but these bozo’s have just got to stay put there in the soon to end lane hoping they force me to yield and gain one, maybe two car positions. Idiots!!
I used to live in Chicago and fought this battle every time I drove. I would stick so close to the car in front to stop anyone cutting in.

I now live in Iowa and find the behavior much less common, it is amazing to see people line up in an orderly and polite fashion.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hhhoffme
But driving in the EU is an art/sport, here in the US it is considered an opportunity to talk and text while you travel from A to B.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know about other states in the US but in Ca. it seems that there are a lot of incompetent's whose primary aim, when entering a freeway, is to get to the fast lane and then get up to the speed of traffic flow.
I travel in the early hours of the morning and at least 50% of the cars are in the fast lane with nobody within half a mile of them. I wish these people could get a lesson in Germany where it is illegal to be further left than necessary unless you are overtaking.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
I wish these people could get a lesson in Germany where it is illegal to be further left than necessary unless you are overtaking.
We have that law in Colorado now, doesn't seem to get enforced - even after CSP said they would enforce it. Last week I saw a succession of "left lane bandits" parked out there repeatedly passing the variable message signs which CDOT had programmed to say "Keep Right Except When Passing - Colorado Law!" or somesuch.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
We have that law in Colorado now, doesn't seem to get enforced - even after CSP said they would enforce it. Last week I saw a succession of "left lane bandits" parked out there repeatedly passing the variable message signs which CDOT had programmed to say "Keep Right Except When Passing - Colorado Law!" or somesuch.
But the Germans seem experts at enforcing the law and because it makes sense then Germans have no problem in complying.

Here in Ca. we have more laws in the Cal Highway Code than most Countries do in the civil code and enforcement only applies, arbitrarily, to speed limits because it is a source of revenue. Enforcing laws for better, safer driving never occurred to the CHP.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
A lot of States in the South have the perfect wording for the sign that says, "Left Lane is for passing only". This makes complete sense and an Officer would have reason to ticket someone who is just driving along blocking the left lane and not passing. The wording in the Colorado law would seem to be enforceable as well. California has a stupid, non-enforceable sign that says, "Slower Cars keep right". Drivers at or slightly below the speed limit, don't see themselves as being "Slower" so they just sit in the "Passing Lane" for miles, while cars back up behind them and finally pass on the right.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm in NJ. I use signals all the time, 100%. That's what I learned to do automatically more than 20 years ago. I give it no thought, just do it.
I thought it was illegal not to use turn signals, if not, it's at the least dangerous and discourteous. And if someone is having to think about whether or not to signal, then they are spending effort while driving on something that should be effortless.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Usage