Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Updating Google Maps without Audi connect

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updating Google Maps without Audi connect

Is it possible to update Google Maps without Audi Connect?

I don't want to pay for 3G service but like having the map feature just in case.

Anyway to keep it updated when my service expires?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If you mean the Google Earth map overlay, no. (Google does not provide the maps for your car, they're built in on the car's hard drive). You would need to have an Audi Connect account with a T-Mobile subscription or one of the pay as you go providers like P-Tel or Trusim (which use the T-Mobile network). You could use an AT&T iPad/iPhone sim with an adapter but it would only work in 2G and besides being slow to load, your Google Earth map overly would disappear as soon as you left your area if the sim was removed from the car.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
your Google Earth map overly would disappear as soon as you left your area if the sim was removed from the car.
Don't think that is necessarily true - My data expired at the end of the year, and I was surprised to find that my cached Google earth overlay is still there (zoom and all) 6 months later. However, as soon as I exit my "home" area (where I did not have cached images) it goes to a blurry green/brown.

Its nice since I don't travel outside of the home area a lot... when our next big trip comes, I will probably turn data back on, as I really do miss the online POIs.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok thanks Snag.

Giving this car to my wife and getting an A6 TDI and am working a deal to get Audi Connect service included for 5 years.

Anyway to know when there are major updates that I would need service for to download?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSL_PWR
Ok thanks Snag.

Giving this car to my wife and getting an A6 TDI and am working a deal to get Audi Connect service included for 5 years.

Anyway to know when there are major updates that I would need service for to download?
Audi Connect can be bought for 30 months for $450, my dealer would not even let me roll it into the deal unless I paid for it separate because it is a service like your cell bill, they said that can not even put that on the loan papers.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Don't think that is necessarily true - My data expired at the end of the year, and I was surprised to find that my cached Google earth overlay is still there (zoom and all) 6 months later. However, as soon as I exit my "home" area (where I did not have cached images) it goes to a blurry green/brown.

Its nice since I don't travel outside of the home area a lot... when our next big trip comes, I will probably turn data back on, as I really do miss the online POIs.
JC, I believe " blurry green/brown" is essentially the same as what I wrote by "disappear". The overlay becomes unusable if you leave the area with no active sim and subscription to download new data. While your local cached Earth overlay is still there, I believe zooming in the map results in the same issue.
Note that if you go above 10K feet, it becomes just "blurry brown".

You should consider the $450 30 month unlimited data sub T-Mobile is offering. Comes out to only $15 @ month - same as three lattes or a couple of Big Macs.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DSL_PWR
Ok thanks Snag.

Dealer has nothing to do with the T-Mobile subscription other than helping you set it up for the free trial. He would essentially be giving you a discount and you would pay the subscriber. The $450 30 months sub is the best you can do with T-Mobile.

There are no "updates" to perfom with Audi Connect. All the data is continuously and dynamically updated on the internet and the car automatically downloads the latest info when you select a function. Just like being connected online with a computer. Only the base nav maps and internal POIs are static on the car's hard drive. Map updates are usually available from the dealer and are not inexpensive. Usually no need to do this but every few years to get the latest road changes. The online Google POIs are much more up to date anyway.