Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Windshield hit - OUCH !

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Windshield hit - OUCH !

Anyone know what a new front windshield for a 2012 A6 Prestige costs - no innovation package with heads up display. Took a rock hit on the interstate here in western NJ (my 6th hit on this interstate over the past 5 years with my various vehicles). Darn semi's. Giving Safe-Lite a shot at a repair but it's the size of a quarter (no spreading yet). Based on my previous experiences it won't be perfect if they can fill it in. So we'll see how it looks when they are done. Could have been worse I guess - there was no fender/headlight/body hit so no dents or paint chips. Guess I better find another way to/from work. This is getting ridiculous. If I decide on a new windshield I'm leaning on letting the dealer's body shop do the replacement rather than Safe-lite. Any opinions?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact your insurance company. I got a windshield replaced on my last car for a $100 deductable.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me on first day of delivery. Hit by a rock and at night I noticed the crack. Did replacement by dealer they brought in someone from outside but they did it at dealer location. I felt better to do it thru dealer to get Audi original part. In Canada cost me around $800 could be less in US. But check with dealer they can tell you exactly.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it on I-78 or Route 80?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSA6
Anyone know what a new front windshield for a 2012 A6 Prestige costs - no innovation package with heads up display. Took a rock hit on the interstate here in western NJ (my 6th hit on this interstate over the past 5 years with my various vehicles). Darn semi's. Giving Safe-Lite a shot at a repair but it's the size of a quarter (no spreading yet). Based on my previous experiences it won't be perfect if they can fill it in. So we'll see how it looks when they are done. Could have been worse I guess - there was no fender/headlight/body hit so no dents or paint chips. Guess I better find another way to/from work. This is getting ridiculous. If I decide on a new windshield I'm leaning on letting the dealer's body shop do the replacement rather than Safe-lite. Any opinions?
Safe-lite is a good company to use...most insurance companies use them

They have replaced the windshield on my old E46 3 Series a couple times...I made sure that they used OEM glass everytime

They do excellent work
Old 03-29-2012, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by at1183
Was it on I-78 or Route 80?
Rt 78 on my ride west from 287 to Exit 3

I asked because I have a $750 deductible so I was wondering how much more it was going to cost me.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by manishaudi
Safe-lite is a good company to use...most insurance companies use them

They have replaced the windshield on my old E46 3 Series a couple times...I made sure that they used OEM glass everytime

They do excellent work
Safe lite is such a big company that its really hit or miss quality wise depending on where you are. I had a terrible experience with them, they mess up the trims on my windshield in one of my car and a friend of mine had a rear window replaced that leaks.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd prolly get Geico, then do a claim thru them.

They have a $50 deductible on windshields.

As an FYI, they also have an extended warranty for ~$35/6 mo. if your car is below 15k/15mo.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In terms of getting it fixed, research a glass master through Yelp. Look at reviews and then make an arrangement with owner to get OEM glass and insist on it in the Geico claim....assuming you got Geico. $50 is the cheapest way to get the glass back to stock.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got it fixed at Safe-lite. No problems and looks consistent with other repairs they have made on my other vehicles. Looks like a small permanent bug splat where the impact was. All the starring and "bullet-hole" marks are completely filled in. I'm figuring with my luck the next time I'll go for the full replacement.
Thanks again for the discussion.

Quick Reply: Windshield hit - OUCH !