Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

You guys ever experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys ever experience this?

I seem to have some vibration from either an exhaust heat shield or something else that vibrates when revving the engine at about 1300-1400 rpm or so. Does it on the way up and down and only at that range, sounds terrible. Any thoughts?

I also experience a slight rumble/vibration when the engine is at idle (mostly in the seat, not the steering wheel). Is that normal with the 3.0T or should it be smooth at idle? No error codes/check engine light. only has 20k miles. I was thinking maybe a bad motor mount or something.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2015, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MNAudiA6
I seem to have some vibration from either an exhaust heat shield or something else that vibrates when revving the engine at about 1300-1400 rpm or so. Does it on the way up and down and only at that range, sounds terrible. Any thoughts?

I also experience a slight rumble/vibration when the engine is at idle (mostly in the seat, not the steering wheel). Is that normal with the 3.0T or should it be smooth at idle? No error codes/check engine light. only has 20k miles. I was thinking maybe a bad motor mount or something.

Thanks
Neither of the things you describe sound normal. I would have them both checked out.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have an appt tomorrow morning to drop it off, its still under warranty, so I hope they figure it out.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have an appt tomorrow morning to drop it off, its still under warranty, so I hope they figure it out.
Please let us know what you find out.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just returned from the dealer here is St.Paul. He said the engine idle seems "normal" and "not to believe everything I read online".... It's not terrible or anything, but you definitely feel it and is annoying for such a nice car. I have had many far cheaper cars with V6 engines that run a hell of a lot smoother than this thing at idle. I have read in a couple other posts on the web that people have complained of this after getting the ECU flashed with an update, were on the original flash the engine ran smooth at idle.

I wonder how they idle with the APR flash?

As far as the vibration at about 1400 rpm or so, they heard it and acknowledged that as an issue and are checking it out.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you had the car since new and this just started happening or did you recently buy it used and it has always done this since you acquired it?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I bought the car used and didn't notice it right away, seems worse when its fully warmed up. ( regarding the idle vibration )

The dealer called me last night and said they believe the vibration buzz that happens at 1400rpm is caused by a problem with the exhaust flex pipe. They are replacing that today. Hopefully that fixes it.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bought the car used and didn't notice it right away, seems worse when its fully warmed up. ( regarding the idle vibration )

The dealer called me last night and said they believe the vibration buzz that happens at 1400rpm is caused by a problem with the exhaust flex pipe. They are replacing that today. Hopefully that fixes it.
What was the result of replacing this part? Did it fix the problem?
Old 12-30-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it gets worse after the car is warmed up, it's probably somewhere in or around the exhaust system.

I had this problem and it ended up being a faulty catalytic converter. Audi replaced it under warranty.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I got the car back yesterday as the part did not come in on time as we were having some snow storms roll through. They replaced the flex pipe and the sound is gone. The service guy said he initially thought it would be the CAT but after testing it they determined the flex pipe. Fixed under warranty.

However, I am still having issues with this car, hard to believe with 19k miles and CPO purchased. I seem to have some sort of drivetrain vibration that starts being noticeable at about 65 and keeps going to 80 ( fast as I have had it to ). Its not the trans as when I down shift and raise the RPM, its doesnt change. When I let off the gas, it gets a little better, when I get back on the gas it gets worse. When the cruise is on its fairly steady. Almost feels like a what a bad ujoint feels like on a pickup. Not sure if this car has ujoints of some kind up front or not. The tires are new and I thought it might be them, however the steering wheel is solid, no vibrations. I mainly feel it in the foot well and the seat.

Question for you guys, when you turn the wheel all the way to the right or left at a stop and then proceed to make a U turn, do you feel any vibration or drivetrain noise vibration when turning tight, possibly from the inside wheel turning at such a slower rate?

Quick Reply: You guys ever experience this?