A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Does the A6 have throttle lag issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought a 2019 A6 Prestige loaded and I can report that the turbo lag is awful in this car now that I have had a chance to drive it for a bit (600 miles). From a dead stop, acceleration is nice, but if you are already moving and need to accelerate (whether going 30 mph or 60 mph, doesn't matter), when you give it gas, it just does nothing for about 1-2 seconds and then it takes off. This is unacceptable to me and I would argue dangerous if you need to get out of a situation quickly.

I have some perspective on this as I owned a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T. It had some turbo lag, but at least you got raw engine acceleration while the turbos spun up to give you extra boost. This car does not. The dealership told me the Audi engineers did that so it wouldn't startle people (so they basically designed/tuned this engine for your grandmother, I guess) and to just put it into sport/dynamic mode, but I don't want to spend all of my time with the engine revving at high rpm. Ridiculous.
The following 2 users liked this post by empirepd:
Allanrac (05-15-2023), keithmac (03-30-2021)
Old 10-09-2019, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

empirepd, ask your dealer to do a software update on the gearbox, it will help a bit. Still, I agree is unacceptable for more than 100k car.
Got same frustration from November last year till few weeks ago. Now goes bit better, but still thinking to sell my A6 ��
Old 10-09-2019, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The dealership has my car right now looking at the engine to address this and some other things like the amount of vibration on the auto start/stop (it is really bad) and the way the engine get rough every time you roll to a stop/idle. I’ll see if they can adjust that. I just bought this car and already am thinking of getting out of it, it is so bad. I loved my 2001 A6, but this is a different car and has soured me on the Audi brand.

Last edited by empirepd; 10-09-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by empirepd
The dealership has my car right now looking at the engine to address this and some other things like the amount of vibration on the auto start.stop (it is really bad) and the way the engine get rough every time you roll to a stop/idle. I see if they can adjust that. I just bought this car and already am thinking of getting out of it, it is so bad. I loved my 2001 A6, but this is a different car and has soured me on the Audi brand.
Haven't got the "vibration" issue they should fix this. But got the ACC sensor replaced after 500km. Took them 2,5 weeks to install and calibrate it and get the night vision assistant working again. I guess we got charmed by the sexy look and features and forgot the most important one, driving pleasure.
Hang on a bit longer until you sell it, maybe more updates are being released, at least the car looks nice
Old 10-09-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Alex and empirepd, it would sure be helpful if you would fill out your profile and tell us where you are and what country you are in. It makes a difference to know if you are taking about a US car or one built for another country.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry. Added. Washington DC, USA, US model A6.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2019 Audi A6 Premium Plus and having serious acceleration lag from a stop position. I reached out to the dealership after owning the car for a month and they did noting noticeable. Just said there's a software fix by corporate but won't give me an ETA. In my opinion, the car is unsafe and a lemon. I reached out to Audi USA and they didn't want to repurchase the car. They gave me an option with Better Business Bureau for resolution and I'm pursuing this avenue.

Has anyone had an success returning the car for similar issues? I would love to hear your experience. For those that are considering buying a new Audi A6 I would stay away.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 141 Posts

Not sure on compatibility, but Q8 owners are now reporting that the throttle response issues have recently been resolved by Audi. I'm taking mine in soon when it hits the 20K mark.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately dealers are telling everyone that this fix is solely for the Q8, and there's nothing available for the A6 or A7s yet despite the 3.0 versions of these models having identical engines, transmissions, and platforms to the Q8. But the Q8 fix seems to be satisfying people having this issue, so seems wise to call your dealer and or corporate to put pressure on them to extend this software fix to our models.

Edit: turns out we don't have the same transmissions, thanks /macwm

Last edited by omnibot2000; 06-06-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by omnibot2000
Unfortunately dealers are telling everyone that this fix is solely for the Q8, and there's nothing available for the A6 or A7s yet despite the 3.0 versions of these models having identical engines, transmissions, and platforms to the Q8. But the Q8 fix seems to be satisfying people having this issue, so seems wise to call your dealer and or corporate to put pressure on them to extend this software fix to our models.
Actually, we don’t have the same transmission as the Q8. Ours is a 7 speed S tronic vs the 8 speed Tiptronic. I’m not really bothered by this issue (I must be driving like the 70 year old that I am), but was told to expect a software update 9 months ago!

Quick Reply: Does the A6 have throttle lag issues?