A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Traffic sign recognition and cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Traffic sign recognition and cruise control

Hi, on my 2020 A6 I was driving back on the highway today with my cruise control set. The speed limit was 70 and the traffic sign recognition displayed 70 on the cockpit. At one point the speed limit dropped to 60, the car recognized it via The traffic sign recognition and then all of a sudden my cruise control was set to 60 in the car slowed down by itself. Is that normal? really didn't like that and trying to find out if there is a way to disable it. Thanks
Old 09-16-2020, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 182 Likes on 162 Posts

Are you sure it was due to the speed limit changing or was it that the vehicle in front was going at the slower speed so the car adjusted to its speed to keep a safe distance? That said what you are describing is the future whether we like it or not. Increasingly cars will be required by legislation to be more autonomous and override the driver when it detects you are breaking the law or doing something that is unsafe. My wife's new (mk8) Golf does adjust the speed limit of the car when using Cruise Control to reflect not only the speed limit detected by the recognition system but also if the sat nav sees a bend it will reduce the speed as well. Maybe the 2020 A6s also have this feature. The manual for my 2019 car (I don't have ACC) says that the ACC setting are not affected by the observed speed limit
Old 09-17-2020, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely due to the speed limit sign. It actually put an icon with a square around it in green showing a new speed limit and then adjusting my cruise control to the new speed limit and automatically slow down the car. Would really like to disable that feature if anybody has any ideas.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, that's a selectable feature. You can turn it off in the MMI. Not near the car now so can't tell you exactly where, but I remember the first time it happened to me on an empty road. Surprising to say the least!
Old 09-17-2020, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can turn it off or set the tolerance. From the MMI got to VEHICLE -> Driver assistance > (Steering Wheel Gear looking thing) -> Adaptive cruise assist -> Predictive control

There are a few setting in here to adjust the behavior of the cruise control.

Page 129 of the owner manual for more details.
The following users liked this post:
Doug2.7 (03-22-2021)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the response. Nice feature to keep the car at the speed limit but quite honestly it's a challenge to keep the car at the speed limit 🙂. I turned it off. Definitely lots of new settings and future to find in the car everyday.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m glad to see there’s a way to turn it off as a lot of the time It will brake the car pretty hard when suddenly the speed drops by 10mph. Does turning off predictive control change anything with the car assisting you on curves and the like if you have the ADAS package?
Old 11-23-2020, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobaPanda
I’m glad to see there’s a way to turn it off as a lot of the time It will brake the car pretty hard when suddenly the speed drops by 10mph. Does turning off predictive control change anything with the car assisting you on curves and the like if you have the ADAS package?
Yup. I was driving home one night, had cruise control at 85, then entered an area where the speed limit was 55 and it felt like someone stepped over me and jumped on the brakes. Scared the crap out of me. What if someone behind me was following closely (I do live in L.A.).

This "feature" is in the GPS linked cruise control function (or something like that). So apparently when I set CC at 85 I was in an area where the navigation system was not aware of the speed (as displayed by the speed limit on the NAV screen), but when I reached an area where NAV was aware of the speed limit, it kicked in. Happened twice to me, and that's when I decided to disable it. Also, I had CC enabled at 85 and was reaching a freeway transition ramp and it again slammed on the brakes. This time is was because NAV knew I was going through a curve and apparently Audi didn't think it could handle the curve at that speed (it can). The same GPS based CC thing disabled this as well.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Used to own a BMW 740i twenty years ago. Had a nice feature. You could set a MPH, say 75, and it would beep if you exceeded that setting. Nothing like that in the Audi that I know of.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I get my Q5 tomorrow and I'm curious, does it allow you say set the cruise control range to 10KM/hr over the speed limit? By default I like to travel at around that speed because it keeps traffic flow going while also avoiding any speeding tickets, particularly on city roads. It would be great if the predictive cruise control setting allowed me to set it to be up to 10KM/hr greater than the speed limit.

Quick Reply: Traffic sign recognition and cruise control