A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

'02 A6 w/3.0L idles rough, misfires and found low compression

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after a ton of work I finally got the car back together. It started right up (ok well actually it didn't because I had the fuel lines reversed, oops) but ran a bit rough when it was warming up (idling at about 650rpm). I could also here slight misfiring coming from the intake, I was like s$#*. Compression is still not where it needs to be. I threw in the towel and called it a night. The next day I fired it up and it ran much better. I upped the idle slightly because it was a bit low at 680 by going into adaptation. Now its running very smooth. I think the block and head had to go through an expand/contract cycle to fully seat. I now do not here any misfiring at all. Great!

So I drove it to work today, engine pulls strong, tranny shifts nice but when cruising on the highway the torque converter wasnt locking up. When I get home I vagcom it and son of a b%(&$, I get the dreaded 17125 (Torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off). I checked the fluid and it wasn't low but it was hotter than the recommended fill temp so I'll check when its cooler. The fluid did not smell burnt at all but was a milky grey/black.

Just great. What the heck to I do? TC R/R is like $2000! Grrrr I love Audi's but whats next?!?! Apparently the 5HP-19 Audi tranny's are notorious for blown TCs.

I'm about ready to just sell the thing as is. It drives great besides locking the TC.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

jus as a point of interest .. how did you know the torque converter wasn't locking up ? were you getting slipping or something ?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
jus as a point of interest .. how did you know the torque converter wasn't locking up ? were you getting slipping or something ?
Its definately slipping. When I'm on the highway at 65mph not going up a hill, if i give it slightly more gas the rpms increase propotionally like +200-300RPM. I have a log I can post when I get home. I know the engine - tranny input would show a differential indicating the loss at the TC.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Cerocool
Its definately slipping. When I'm on the highway at 65mph not going up a hill, if i give it slightly more gas the rpms increase propotionally like +200-300RPM. I have a log I can post when I get home. I know the engine - tranny input would show a differential indicating the loss at the TC.

Hi Cerocool,

Can you explain, how your engine 3.0 after long time. Have you found and solve problem, I'm asking because my Audi a6 3.0 2005 probably have similar problem, now car lose 150ml coolant per 2 weeks. Last time I found coolant in 5th cylinder.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default milky grey/black not good ATF color.

Originally Posted by Cerocool
Well after a ton of work I finally got the car back together. It started right up (ok well actually it didn't because I had the fuel lines reversed, oops) but ran a bit rough when it was warming up (idling at about 650rpm). I could also here slight misfiring coming from the intake, I was like s$#*. Compression is still not where it needs to be. I threw in the towel and called it a night. The next day I fired it up and it ran much better. I upped the idle slightly because it was a bit low at 680 by going into adaptation. Now its running very smooth. I think the block and head had to go through an expand/contract cycle to fully seat. I now do not here any misfiring at all. Great!

So I drove it to work today, engine pulls strong, tranny shifts nice but when cruising on the highway the torque converter wasnt locking up. When I get home I vagcom it and son of a b%(&$, I get the dreaded 17125 (Torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off). I checked the fluid and it wasn't low but it was hotter than the recommended fill temp so I'll check when its cooler. The fluid did not smell burnt at all but was a milky grey/black.

Just great. What the heck to I do? TC R/R is like $2000! Grrrr I love Audi's but whats next?!?! Apparently the 5HP-19 Audi tranny's are notorious for blown TCs.

I'm about ready to just sell the thing as is. It drives great besides locking the TC.
Drop the tranny fluid, pan and filter, replace the filter, pan, and fluid.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

2010 thread brought back to life.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Yep and the problem with the post resurrection is that the 2005 C6 A6 did not have a 3.0 it's 3.2 is not even close in design, oh my.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jcman
Yep and the problem with the post resurrection is that the 2005 C6 A6 did not have a 3.0 it's 3.2 is not even close in design, oh my.
Hi, my engine is 3.0 BBJ and my Audi is from Australian market. At the moment I can't inset pictures with block. I try tomorrow again.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by krychu
Hi, my engine is 3.0 BBJ and my Audi is from Australian market. At the moment I can't inset pictures with block. I try tomorrow again.

I can't put here normal photos, I hope link will be working.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Old 12-31-2015, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Somebody wake up Airbag.

Originally Posted by the_duke
LOL.

Quick Reply: '02 A6 w/3.0L idles rough, misfires and found low compression