A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

10,000 Mile Observations (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10,000 Mile Observations (long)

After 10,000 miles on my '01 4.2 here are some observations from a first time Audi owner (previous car was a GS400):
Positives:
1. I love the design of the car. It is sleek and not cookie cutter.
2. The quatro is great. It would be difficult to ever own a rear wheel (or front wheel for that matter) drive car again. It is spectacular on wet ground and even got me through an unexpected blizard when driving through Buffalo in November (with "summer" tires no less). It gives me tremendous confidence in corners. The GS400 spun the wheels occassionally even on dry ground.
3. The fit and finish of the interior is first class and much better than the GS IMHO. With the exception of a loose drivers seat (that also rubs on the center console), there are no rattles, squeeks, etc. My GS drove me crazy with them when it was new.
4. The car is pretty quiet on the road and has a very solid feel, particulary on the highway. I know that there have been other posts about road noise, but I don't see any difference between my 4.2 and my GS.
5. I enjoy the tip. I would have preferred a 6-speed, but an ACL operation on my left knee precluded that, even if it were offered. Having the tip on the console makes it more fun compared to the steering wheel controls of the GS.
6. The xenon's are great. Best lights I ever had.
7. The rear bumber object sensing system is a really nice feature. Saved me from bumping into cars/beams a couple of times.
8. The car is pretty quick. It's not as quick off the line as the GS, but it does fine. Not having the rear wheels spin when hitting the hammer from a dead stop helps.
Negatives: (note-some are "creature comfort" issues)
1. Audi service! Compared to Lexus (and from what I hear Mercedes/BMW) they are minor league. Very slow in responding, takes forever to get parts, etc. If they want to increse the percentage of second/third time buyers, they had better get their act together.
2. I've had minor problems with the gas gauge and radio, but the Lexus had minor problems also. The key is how they're taken care of by service.
3. The windshield glass must be soft. Anything that hits it, puts a pit into it. I think a bug hit it the other day and pitted it. I think my insurance company would pay to replace it because of visibility issues, but I'm afraid of getting one with distortion.
4. The guidance system is CD based (vs. DVD) and antiquated with multiple discs needed and being slow.
5. Why would there not be buttons to lock/unlock the doors on the front passenger door. Makes it very inconvenient. I got a loaner Jetta once and even it had them.
6. The drivers side temperature control should work both sides when there is only one person in the car or until it is over-ridden. Why should it be necessary to adjust two settings when there is one person in the car or when you want both sides the same?
7. A minor issue, but I would have liked to have the option of having automatic on/off headlights.
8. The steering wheel controls should allow for scanning through pre-set stations.

All in all, I really love the car. It seems the more I drive it, the more it grows on me. Most of my negatives (with the exception of Audi service and the front windshield) are "creature comfort" issues, not drivability issues. It is definitely a great car for the price (compared to the 540/ES430/GS430)and I have no regrets having made the switch to Audi. Sorry for the long post.

2001 4.2; silver/tungsten
premium/guidance/cd changer/17" wheels
Old 04-05-2001, 06:01 AM

Nice post! I agree that mediocre dealer/parts service is an impediment to Audi growth in US.
Old 04-05-2001, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good post, agree with the nav comments, steering wheel controls, and climate control...

there should be a "sync" button that you could press after adjusting the drivers side to change the passenger side in one step.
The windshields and rear windshields suck and there is no credible excuse that could be created to justify this crappy glass and it has been going on for years!
The nav in current form is cumbersome and expensive to buy discs, I guess that is why I opted against it. I didn't want the acoustic parking thing because I figured you had to be over 65 years old to get it
Keep enjoying your awesome car
Old 04-05-2001, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Great post. As for dealer service, (more)

In the Seattle/Tacoma area three of the dealers are paired with VW and a fourth is paired with Porsche and Jaguar (although that dealer also has MB, Saab, and Volvo at another nearby location).

I can't speak for all of them, but I do know that my servicing dealer - University in Seattle - is presently constructing a totally separate Audi sales and service facility that will share the same city block with the VW store but that's about it. There is an existing alley that will separate the two facilities. It looks to be very impressive if they ever get the Audi portion done. They recently finished renovating the VW facility so Audi is undoubtedly next. They jettisoned a Subaru franchise to make way for a separate Audi sales area where the Subaru store used to be.
Old 04-05-2001, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Varies greatly, but Audi is pushing hard for separate showrooms...

in shared dealerships. They are also pushing to get "off-brands" out completely. One local dealer shares Audi with Kia! Brutal. Porsche is often paired with Audi, but they too are pushing for separation. My dealer just sold Cadillac and is building separate showrooms for Porsche and Audi although they will share repair facilities.
Old 04-05-2001, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Good post, agree with the nav comments, steering wheel controls, and climate control...

Hey, that over 65 years old comment was a low blow (although I'm close enough to it to be ultra sensitive). The glass should be an embarrassment to Audi. I'm surprised they don't do anything about it if it has been a long term issue.
Old 04-05-2001, 11:59 AM

Default San Jose Porsche/Audi dealer

After trading in a GS300 I too know what you mean about the difference in service. I thought Audi would have it together more. Anyways Stevens Creek Porsche Audi recently jettisoned the VW sales/service so some other locale. Maybe this is will help, but the service guys have been there a long time and probably set in their ways.
Old 04-05-2001, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi only dealerships

My sales rep told me that Audi has eliminated the bonus they pay salesmen based on volume if the location isn't stand alone. He is one unhappy campern since they also sell Porsche.
Old 04-05-2001, 01:14 PM

Default Re: San Jose Porsche/Audi dealer

wakaru can you comment more on Anderson Behel as that is where I ordered my car. Spent a whopping 35 minutes with them since I knew what I wanted. Service area looks ok but would appreciate feedback on the actual personnel and service if you can...
Old 04-05-2001, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 10,000 Mile Observations (long)

I agree with most of what you said. As far as negative 5,6 and 7, my 740il worked the same way but you may not be aware that if you pull any of the inside door handles twice the door will open. I am guessing that this may be some kind of law in Germany but I don't really know other than my BMW worked the same way (only one unlock button between the front seats but all doors open with two pulls of the door handle).

Quick Reply: 10,000 Mile Observations (long)