A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1500 Miles and Very Much in Love

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 Miles and Very Much in Love

Wow! I've never been so obsessed with a car before! From buying every Zaino car care product to parking it 1 mile away from another car; this baby is getting more attention than my wife... (She's planning an intervention)

So far I've noticed the following:

(1) Cold Start - I guess I need to pre-heat the engine like I do with an airplane. Runs rough for about 30 seconds to one minute. After that, everything is fine.

(2) Windshield Distortion - My windshield is slightly distorted at about the 3 O'clock position on the driver's side. So far it doesn't bother me enough to warrant a replacement, so I'll let it ride for now. The windshield glass is very soft. A small pebble thrown up from the road put a slight chip in the glass. No big deal, but was surprised.

(3) Averaging about 22 Mpg per the computer. Disappointed in that, as my Lexus LS400 with the big V8 averaged better than this.

(4) Bose - Very odd sound system. Some days it sounds great, than others it's very flat. Might be my imagination, but it seems that way.

(5) Quattro is amazing. Drove the car in last weeks winter storm with no trouble. Ice, freezing rain, and snow. No problem! Now keep in mind, I hate to drive it this type of weather, although I'll fly in it no problem. I felt very safe the entire 90 minute trip. In my old car (Lexus) I would never have made the trip for fear of an accident.

I'm patiently waiting for some decent weather here in the Northeast so I can finally wash and Zaino the car. One last thing, if anyone is looking for a great windshield cleaner, I picked up a product from Groit's Garage that seems to work great.

Regards,
Bill

A6 2.7T
Ming Blue/Melange
Preferred package
Premium Package
Bose
Cold Weather Package (Don't play with the ski sack or you'll spend all day getting it back in)!
Old 03-15-2001, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It just keeps getting better, too.

As I'm sure most here would agree, this car has a way of wrapping itself around a guy and not letting go. Not only is it a fabulous drive, it's also a visual feast inside and out. I've never been able to quite articulate it, but there's something very special about the way the A6 feels as well as the way it makes its owner feel that is without equal.

Your wait for decent "car washing weather" will be worth it. I've learned that one of life's greatest pleasures is eyeing up the A6's curves after giving it the full wash and Zaino treatment. How sweet it is!

Have fun.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:27 PM
Elder Member

Default be prepared for your engine to loosen up quite a bit

I swear, just a slight pedal press produces great acceleration once you get past breakin. The car shifts at 2600rpm with a light press and I'm still leaving everyone behind.
Old 03-16-2001, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You'll love it more each and every day-->

once you get past your break-in period, it just seems perfect. It's what I consider the "Perfect Driving Experience"
More than enough acceleration, stable, secure handling and that feeling of being "glued to the road" that cannot be found in any other automobile. I still love my 2.7, and after 18k and 7 months, I still park it as far away from other cars as possible.
Old 03-16-2001, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Almost time to get the hose out, Bill.

Enjoyed the post. Thanks. Your #2 interests me particularly. My experience too is that the glass is different from any I've encountered before. Amazingly to me, it really DOES seem softer. It even FEELS softer. How's this for a petty complaint: It seems to be more difficult to clean. (LOL) How could that be?