A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1998 Audi a6 quattro 2.8l. Code p1423

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Audi a6 quattro 2.8l. Code p1423

my Audi a6 2.8 Quattro is having a problem with the secondary injection system and I'm trying to find out with a combi those are located and has anyone else had any problem with this and fix it quickly I've already checked the lines and they seem good I'm going to check the pump in the fuses neck are there any advice that I could get
Old 11-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Please punctuate your sentence. It will make it much easier to decipher.

The combi valves are at the firewall side of the head. Look for vacuum lines leading to something that looks like a flying saucer.

Or, you could google "A6 C5 combi valve".

Here's what I found:

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2913118/...y_xRoC-J_w_wcB

Sorry about my grammar as i was using google speech to text and okay i will have to check that again bc when i removed the engine cover i thought i found them in front underneath what looked to be the place where u put the firing order connectors at. I did follow the red and green vaccum lines to what i thought were the combi valves maybe they are just the egr valves for the car. Also its only pulling a code for the bank1 not bank2
Old 11-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Devin183
Sorry about my grammar as i was using google speech to text and okay i will have to check that again bc when i removed the engine cover i thought i found them in front underneath what looked to be the place where u put the firing order connectors at. I did follow the red and green vaccum lines to what i thought were the combi valves maybe they are just the egr valves for the car. Also its only pulling a code for the bank1 not bank2
Combi valves are on the back of the heads and have vacuum lines on them they can cake up with sludge same with pvc hose system
Old 11-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update

Originally Posted by jr98audi
Combi valves are on the back of the heads and have vacuum lines on them they can cake up with sludge same with pvc hose system
Hey guys, so this weekend im gonna check it out again and so far ive found that my saip(air pump) is not working on a cold start i did not feel any power move to it i will be checking the fuse in the ecu box underneath the hood tommorow and also im gonna double check my hoses but all my lines seemed in great shape for a 98 im considering that since its throwin a code for only one bank its not the pump. Does that sound right? Also its not a bad cat or a rear o2 i did just get my exhuast repaired after it leaking for a while
Old 11-19-2015, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, so this weekend im gonna check it out again and so far ive found that my saip(air pump) is not working on a cold start i did not feel any power move to it i will be checking the fuse in the ecu box underneath the hood tommorow and also im gonna double check my hoses but all my lines seemed in great shape for a 98 im considering that since its throwin a code for only one bank its not the pump. Does that sound right? Also its not a bad cat or a rear o2 i did just get my exhuast repaired after it leaking for a while
Sometimes the relay for the SAI pump can go bad even with a good fuse, that relay is in the same box.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Sometimes the relay for the SAI pump can go bad even with a good fuse, that relay is in the same box.
All right, thanks! I will check that out too by chance do u know which one is the relay? I can look in my owners manuial bc it has the diagram for fuses as well as the covers for ecu and fuse box. Im considering getting a vagcom as im new to audi world but they r alot of fun! Even the wagon i love but want like a RX8 XD
Old 11-19-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All right, thanks! I will check that out too by chance do u know which one is the relay? I can look in my owners manuial bc it has the diagram for fuses as well as the covers for ecu and fuse box. Im considering getting a vagcom as im new to audi world but they r alot of fun! Even the wagon i love but want like a RX8 XD
That would be the J299 relay marked right on the top, you can also look under the box cover at the fuse/relay placement legend.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Also you can search the forums for more info about the SAI system or related topics, plenty has been mentioned.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Also you can search the forums for more info about the SAI system or related topics, plenty has been mentioned.
Ya this site is awesome but ive read a crap ton on forums about SAI and it has given me a bunch of info and with reading almost same thing ive been able to really get my mind around the system uve guys been alot of help. Ill post what i found out after work
Old 11-19-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ya this site is awesome but ive read a crap ton on forums about SAI and it has given me a bunch of info and with reading almost same thing ive been able to really get my mind around the system uve guys been alot of help. Ill post what i found out after work
Yes, but this forum has a good amount of info and we also have the Features/Tech Articles tab at the top of the page.

Good luck with the repair.

Quick Reply: 1998 Audi a6 quattro 2.8l. Code p1423